U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM

1,053 posts, read 306,746 times

Advertisements

My post #16 corresponded with the old school where it was an inflexible system, then more flex, than a variety.

Now, as far as when to start and really getting into classroom work and schedules etc etc, we have acceptable methods of starting when the parent feels is good, given a year or two. Remedies such as homeschooling, sometimes monitored by the state, sometimes not, sometimes a choice.

Hope you can figure out a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 PM

959 posts, read 333,343 times
"...why did you ask though?"

because she actually really does remember some things.
she does not remember what she does not want to.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 AM

1,865 posts, read 988,349 times
She's too young to be in second grade. She can't be expected to behave like other second graders who are a year+ older than she is.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:12 PM

24,879 posts, read 60,031,800 times
this comes back. I am trying to get my 88 year old father to remember things like this.

Called being human.

Yesterday I waited for twenty minutes outside my bosses office. I finally got in, sat down and he said how can I help you? I said " Uhhh, ummm, uhhh, o hell, I cannot remember, I will come back later. "

Old 11-23-2018, 08:56 AM

12,527 posts, read 14,690,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I did. not the written chart but I had a hand made one; one that said she will be a treat/reward of her choice at the end of the week.
What breaks my heart is, she genuinely seems to forget; I dont think she is being inattentive.
I don't either.
She's so young.....sounds like a NORMAL 6 year old to me.
The adults in her life (you, the teachers) should be helping (reminding) her about what she needs.
She's tooooo young right now to do it on her own, and no amount of cajoling, or anger will change that.
Give her a few years..
.and don't be angry at her when she forgets....that serves no purpose except to make your daughter feel bad about herself....and maybe frustrated that she can't please you...or get that illusive reward for remembering.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:07 PM

24,512 posts, read 28,923,607 times
My son had the same kind of problem remembering things when he was that age. We found out years later that he had ADHD. At home, make a list with photos of the items that need to be packed. See if you can make a list to tape to her desk of what needs to come home with her each day.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,063,395 times
Thank you all. I came back to update the status. below is what I did and it WORKED! well, 2 weeks consistently at least.

1. Told her she will get a small toy if she remembers to bring the communication book back home.
2. Put a pretty bracelet on her (blue, color of the book).
3. Put blue Sun inside her outdoor shoes (water proof)

So far since 2 weeks the book is coming back home and so are her other small things. I hope this keeps up.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

39,661 posts, read 38,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Thank you all. I came back to update the status. below is what I did and it WORKED! well, 2 weeks consistently at least.

1. Told her she will get a small toy if she remembers to bring the communication book back home.
2. Put a pretty bracelet on her (blue, color of the book).
3. Put blue Sun inside her outdoor shoes (water proof)

So far since 2 weeks the book is coming back home and so are her other small things. I hope this keeps up.
Great news. I'm sure that as she gets older and also gets more used to the routines, she will do fine.

She will most likely backslide any time there is a transition (new school year, new teacher etc) but re-establishing the routines is key.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 1,573,566 times
I would suggest the chart again...but instead of rewarding at the end of the week, you reward her daily, if she accomplishes the goals on the chart.

My thought is, if she's already losing focus...going a whole week for the reward is going to be pretty hard. But maybe, a daily reward might be a small bitesize she can handle, instead of the whole steak of the whole week. And maybe also, it reinforces her self-esteem, that for example, she was able to achieve her goals 3 days out of 5, etc. With plenty of praise and affirmations when she achieves.

Wouldn't have to be a BIG reward. It could be a piece of candy...or a dollar, or whatever.

And, because my son was much the same...maybe have her checked for ADD?

Old Today, 11:07 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,063,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Great news. I'm sure that as she gets older and also gets more used to the routines, she will do fine.

She will most likely backslide any time there is a transition (new school year, new teacher etc) but re-establishing the routines is key.
Thank you, yes, I am indeed relieved. Some reminders and some treats did help. Once it becomes a practise, I will no longer give treats and all but probably will still stick with reminders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or