U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:38 AM

1,852 posts, read 637,615 times

Advertisements

Cut out everything that's not a necessity. Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'. No need for a luxury vehicle with all the bells and whistles. Don't eat out, cook at home.
So much to do to cut down on expenses, but will OP do it is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM

119 posts, read 32,751 times
1) breastfeed when possible. Pump if possible. Use store brand formula if possible. Companies WANT your business so solicit free formula. Most companies offer welcome kits to new moms through their websites. I didnt buy formula for 10 months between breastfeeding and samples. Full size cans for free.
2) baby led weaning saved so much money. Research it, it's amazing and helps reduce food allergies and you never have to buy baby food. It's not making your own baby food, which can be time consuming. Its feeding your baby the food you're already eating just cooked longer to be a little softer or cut into an appropriate size and minus the seasonings. Cuts down on picky eaters later too.
3) luvs diapers are amazing. I always used Pampers for a month or 2 then switched to luvs when the pee slowed down a little. They are half the cost.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM

5,688 posts, read 6,555,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Store-brand diapers work just as well as brand-name diapers. You may try different types to see which you prefer.
This must vary baby to baby or something. For us, all of the diapers were very close to each other, but going from 98% success with Store Brand and Luvs to 100% success with Huggies Little Movers was worth it. I'll gladly pay the few extra bucks to keep the mess contained to the diaper every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Join a parenting exchange group online and buy clothes second-hand.
I'm astounded by how many free things my wife got from our local facebook parenting group. And now that the baby is a little older, I'm astounded by how quickly and easily she can get rid of the stuff we don't need any more.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:25 AM

5,688 posts, read 6,555,520 times
My tip is this: until they are old enough to have their own interests, most toys are for the parent more than for the kid. They'll play with a paper towel roll or empty box just as happily as they will with the $20 toy with licensed characters from TV.

Don't completely skip toys, but a lot of babies have far more toys than they really need or even care about.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 PM

74 posts, read 23,108 times
Consignment shops are expensive. Try goodwill.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM

119 posts, read 32,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
The goodwill by me is on drugs or something. It is same price to go to a childs consignment shop as goodwill and at consignment I know the clothes will be clean and stylish

Old 12-02-2018, 02:40 PM

24,611 posts, read 29,020,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Consignment sales that happen at churches or are sponsored by moms groups are cheaper than consignment stores, and the quality better than goodwill.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,171,622 times
You've gotten some great tips so far. I have one that nobody has mentioned and that some people find controversial:

Figure out whether you both really need to be working.

Daycare can be incredibly expensive. The baby will get sick more often, leading to more doctor's visits. Mom and dad will both be tired after long days at work and will be more tempted to stop for takeout or convenience foods. It's harder to breastfeed. And so on.

If the parent who makes less money stays home, baby will be healthier by not being exposed to so many germs, saving on doctor's visits. It also eliminates the "who will stay home this time?" routine that happens all. the. time with a sick child. When the baby does get sick, there's already a loving parent at home to care for him/her. The at-home parent will be able to cook a nutritious dinner most nights, ending the takeout trap (and many $$$ spent on unhealthy food). If mom is the one staying home, she can breastfeed exclusively, which saves tons of money on formula. Clothing and gasoline budgets might be lower, depending on how far away work/daycare is and what that parent wears to work. Baby can be in cloth diapers and won't need much of a wardrobe... newborns can live in sleepers during the cold months and onesies during the hot months. You would just need a couple of nicer outfits for doctors' appointments and photos.

Figure out the numbers and see what you're really netting out of that second paycheck with all of those considerations in mind. Obviously, if you're both doctors or you both make a lot of money (and need all of that money for your expenses and savings), then this is a moot point. But if one of you is making $10 or $12 or even $15/hour, it might be worth it for that parent to stay home and minimize expenses that way.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,156,194 times
A lot of the advice I'm seeing on this thread is geared more towards saving money as a stay at home mom, such as breast feeding, cloth diapering, making your own baby food, baby led weaning, etc. It's a little different when you have two working parents and a kid in daycare.

First, I do breastfeed, but when you are a dual working household it's not *that* much of a money saver. You have to buy the pump, accessories, bottles. And your supply goes down when you start working so you usually still have to buy formula to supplement.

Second, know that if you are planning to use a daycare, they almost always mandate disposable diapers - so don't go out and buy a whole bunch of cloth diapers unless you know your childcare of choice is okay with that.

Third - again if you are using a daycare, they usually mandate store bought baby food as well. Some will take parent made baby food, but many are worried about liability if something goes wrong with the food. Easier for them to mandate store bought and instruct teachers to check expiration dates before feeding the child. And obviously you can't just feed the kid food from your own plate, because you're at work lol.

My best advice is to use Amazon Prime subscribe and save for diapers, wipes, baby food, etc. It's as cheap and usually cheaper than Sam's and Costco, and will come to your door so you save time in the store.

Hand me down / consignment clothes and baby items are still great regardless. The only thing you really need to buy new is the car seat.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 PM

7,165 posts, read 2,612,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Disposable diapers are a big expense. Consider using cloth diapers.
Cloth diapers are expensive too unless they are bought second hand. I did some cloth diapering but it saved no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or