U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM

7,165 posts, read 2,612,205 times

Advertisements

I'd look into skipping out on a lot of baby gear that's sold at Babies R Us, things your infant really doesn't need. Bumbo seats, mechanical swings, walkers, my kids didn't use any of that stuff. It just wasn't necessary. We bought the least expensive car seat we could find, and crib from IKEA. Strollers don't need to cost $500 but some of them do. Skip buying them. You can get used strollers at some children's consignment sales that cost as low as $25, $30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 PM

7,165 posts, read 2,612,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The goodwill by me is on drugs or something. It is same price to go to a childs consignment shop as goodwill and at consignment I know the clothes will be clean and stylish
Right. Goodwill is a joke. Prices are way too high. Children's consignment stores have very organized racks of clothing that you won't find at Goodwill. The clothing has already been inspected, it's better quality, and cost less than Goodwill. My local children's consignment store has sales twice a year and sometimes sells items for 90% off.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,555,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Cloth diapers are expensive too unless they are bought second hand. I did some cloth diapering but it saved no money.
We bought cloth diapers for use as burp cloths, and they weren't particularly expensive. I believe they were like $15 for a 10 pack. You wouldn't have to get that many uses out of them to compare to the cost of disposables.

The expensive part is laundering them, especially if you are a renter without your own laundry machines.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM

11,255 posts, read 9,331,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
What are some money saving tips for a dual-parent/dual-working household with a 1st born newborn child? E.g. "shop at Costco".
Don't just "shop at Costco"! Costco is cheaper on some things but not others.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:44 PM

8,695 posts, read 4,879,029 times
I saved a lot by shopping at thrift stores for clothes, and buying as much gender-neutral stuff as possible

Cloth diapering was expensive at first, but eventually paid for themselves

I got a ton of stuff at my baby shower, more than I could ever possibly need, so I returned the excess for store credit, and used the credit a little at a time to pay for consumables

We lived in a small apartment when our oldest was born, so we didn't have space for much baby gear (the baby's "room" was the corner of our living room; all we had was a crib, a dresser top served as the changing station, a bouncy seat, a high chair that hooked on to the table, and a lightweight stroller

Probably the only thing we splurged on was car seats

Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM

713 posts, read 240,279 times
Babies are cheap, don't need much.

Make your baby food.

Use cloth diapers at home and diposable for day care.

Use a baby carrier and move baby around with you. Don't stick them somewhere with a stupid baby monitor.

Fire Stations often have car seats.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:53 AM

545 posts, read 428,600 times
The most expensive item will be childcare. A home daycare will probably be the least expensive (unless a family member is an option). If you qualify for subsidized most head starts are great. Take advantage of the childcare tax credit.
If you want in home help, an au pair is more cost effective than a live out or live in nanny.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 979,993 times
1) Church rummage sales and yard sales will be your friend with a newborn because they grow out of stuff fast and really--you don't need to spend a fortune on their clothes. All of DD's clothes came from these places or thrift stores when she was a kid.

2) There are often all kinds of free samples for new moms so take advantage of them . I got free formula, diapers, etc. when my daughter was a newborn.

3) If people in the family or others you trust offer free baby sitting services then take it.

4) Buying formula in powder form is way cheaper than in the liquid pre-made form. It's more of a PITA to mix but saves quite a bit of money. Also definitely sign up for the coupons/offers.

5) Those annoying coupon circulars you get in the mail actually do come in handy when you have a newborn because they did often have coupons for diapers or wipes. Some stores also double those coupons on certain days so learn which stores do that and use those coupons. Also, you don't need to buy the name brand diapers or wipes; the generic ones work just as well.

6) Take a look at your income level; you might qualify for WIC or Head Start in your state. All states have different income thresholds and some states are more generous than others when it comes to newborns & their moms. In most Southern states you have to be pretty much minimum wage or below to qualify while up here a family of 3 can make right around $47K and still qualify.

7) I found DD's crib, basinette and a bouncy chair on Craigslist. Far cheaper than buying them new

8) When your kid outgrows clothing, you can sell it off and use the money for the next size up.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 2,872,203 times
My kids are teens now. I mainly breastfed. Check out baby formula. There were several discussions when my babies were little about how formula is highly regulated so there wasn't a whole lot of variation. A lot of the store brands were name brands under store label. When there was a recall, many brands were recalled at the same time because they were all the same.

Not all diapers are the same. I believe Great Value and Huggies worked best for my babies, but that isn't necessarily so for all babies. My babies were sensitive to some brands. You may or may not get away with the cheaper brands.

Don't get hooked into thinking you need a fancy nursery. The baby doesn't care.

Like someone else said,baby doesn't need a lot of toys. My kids had too many. I had to ask people to stop buying toys. I suggested they get the kids clothes or something they needed instead.

You can probably hold off on a stroller until you figure out if you really need one. If you won't use it, there is no point in having one. I didn't like the umbrella strollers. I thought they were too hard to push. I had a nicer one with better wheels. I actually used mine and wore a set of wheels out. The bigger the stroller is, the more room it will take up in the car. That's another consideration.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

5,688 posts, read 6,555,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You can probably hold off on a stroller until you figure out if you really need one. If you won't use it, there is no point in having one.

I've never heard anyone throw out the possibility of going stroller-less. I guess it's possible, but it would be quite the inconvenience. Strollers are a great place for tired babies and toddlers to sleep when you're not home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or