U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,091,579 times

Advertisements

It is normal for teens who commit criminal acts to have run-ins with the law. One, you can give them a pass. More than one, better start paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 PM

3,499 posts, read 3,349,938 times
It is common for teens to get hold of fake IDs so that they can get into bars and nightclubs, maybe even buy alcohol at liquor stores. If they get caught, they can get into trouble, but I don't think it's a felony. It's a misdemeanor, and usually a person wouldn't wind up with a record from a first offense.

It is NOT normal to commit prescription fraud in order to obtain controlled substances. This is a serious felony. Noelle Bush, daughter of Jeb Bush who was at the time the governor of Florida, was arrested for this, although I doubt that she wound up with a felony conviction.

The young man who is saying, "It's nothing, everybody does this" is sorely mistaken.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM

16,332 posts, read 9,023,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not remotely normal for when I was a teen or any of the teens I know now.
Ditto.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,504,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?
Weren't you a teenager or young adult at one time? Did you hang out with a crowd where people routinely committed crimes? I'm trying to understand why you would even have to ask if this is normal behavior. If it were, most of us would have records, but most of us don't.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,627,656 times
Teens of color, especially black teens, and most especially black male teens are often targets of cops and do experience higher levels of harassment from the police. But it's not normal for most teens to actually have committed felonies and have to deal with potential jail time. If it is normal among your cousin's friends, he needs a new group of friends.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:47 AM

81 posts, read 19,886 times
In what world would you think this is normal? SMFH

Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,003,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It is common for teens to get hold of fake IDs so that they can get into bars and nightclubs, maybe even buy alcohol at liquor stores. If they get caught, they can get into trouble, but I don't think it's a felony. It's a misdemeanor, and usually a person wouldn't wind up with a record from a first offense.

It is NOT normal to commit prescription fraud in order to obtain controlled substances. This is a serious felony. Noelle Bush, daughter of Jeb Bush who was at the time the governor of Florida, was arrested for this, although I doubt that she wound up with a felony conviction.

The young man who is saying, "It's nothing, everybody does this" is sorely mistaken.
+1; but how would law enforcement know it is your 2nd offense if your 1st offense is never recorded.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,023,359 times
It's not normal at all for teens to have run-ins with the law, but unfortunately it happens far too often. That's not a good way to start life.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,023,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Teens of color, especially black teens, and most especially black male teens are often targets of cops and do experience higher levels of harassment from the police. But it's not normal for most teens to actually have committed felonies and have to deal with potential jail time. If it is normal among your cousin's friends, he needs a new group of friends.
Now I wonder why that is .... ?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,815,620 times
these days with the Opiate crisis it is all too common, but not NORMAL. it is also common for innocent people to be caught up in or impacted by those who are committing the crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting