U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 PM

5,306 posts, read 4,656,222 times

Advertisements

No, it's not normal for MOST young people.

But so what if it were? It's still a FELONY. It's still a serious charge with serious consequences. Him trying to justify it to family or to brush off the seriousness of his situation just shows how immature he is. Saying other people do this all the time is a lame attempt to deflect responsibility.

People forge benzo prescriptions for two reasons. To sell them, or to take them. Would either of those scenarios be acceptable to his extended family?

Which leads me to: you are extended family in another country, so this is really none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 PM

85,330 posts, read 99,622,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And that ameliorates what?
I don't know as my comment ameliorates anything but I was responding to this comment of yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And only about 1% of most other industrialized nations. The US has four times more people in prison than in the military.
which was in turn a response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think only about 10% of our society are convicted criminals.
Not everyone who is convicted goes to jail, and the topic is teens having run-ins with LE, not the US prison population.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,011,875 times
^ [ianal]
i thought the different level of offenses are:
citation - one would pay a fine which does not go on your criminal record.
misdemeanor - one would be required to attend court and it goes on your criminal record.
felony - mandatory prison or probation sentence and it goes on your criminal record.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,157,133 times
It is "normal" for teens to get a speeding ticket, or get into a fender bender (minor car accident with no injuries).

It is nowhere near "normal" for teens to be convicted of felonies. Criminals are not "normal".

Old 12-03-2018, 02:09 PM

151 posts, read 38,526 times
Nope, not normal. There is a term for this.. criminal. Basically a record that will impede many employment opportunities.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:29 PM

74 posts, read 23,315 times
Is he an addict? Well most people try to avoid police..not entirely normal for a teen to have legal issues...

Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 PM

7,200 posts, read 8,370,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

What's your experience with this?
It's not normal or acceptable to be a criminal. Period.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

487 posts, read 504,326 times
It's normal for ghetto youth to have police run-ins if they're involved in gangs or illegal activity. Even then, you have some ghetto children with solid values who never have police run-ins. In my old neighborhood, the police know many of the youth by name because the cops used to see them loitering in the streets at 8 and 9pm doing something they have no business doing.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 AM

21,434 posts, read 15,728,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Teens of color, especially black teens, and most especially black male teens are often targets of cops and do experience higher levels of harassment from the police. But it's not normal for most teens to actually have committed felonies and have to deal with potential jail time. If it is normal among your cousin's friends, he needs a new group of friends.
That's largely because they commit more crimes on the average.

I can see possession/consumption under 21 as being normal. Forged prescriptions is serious, and indicative of serious drug abuse or dealing.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 AM

11,264 posts, read 9,336,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

What's your experience with this?
When what is in his mind matches more closely with reality he will begin to grow up. What he thinks is ridiculous is irrelevant. I'd be more worried about the bezos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting