U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM

5,196 posts, read 4,990,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's largely because they commit more crimes on the average.
And why do you think THAT is?

Keep going and you might get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 AM

7,549 posts, read 2,966,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's not normal at all for teens to have run-ins with the law, but unfortunately it happens far too often. That's not a good way to start life.
That's a contradiction in terms.

If it happens "far too often", it borders on "normal".

Normal just means typical or common, doesn't mean positive.

I think yes, it's pretty normal for teenagers to commit crimes.

Drinking, smoking pot, buying adderal or other Rx from peers, driving with a driver license that doesn't allow the behavior (for example, driving alone with a learner's permit, or a new driver who has more than one passenger in the car), smoking cigarettes, etc.

And personally, I'm kind of shocked that forging a prescription for benzos is a serious crime. Seems to me that DWI or simple assault should be far worse, but then, I'm a libertarian.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:34 PM

731 posts, read 247,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

What's your experience with this?
Teens haven't changed much but the war on drugs has created a sorry situation for so many. Minor in Possession is a huge money maker and back in 70s, the police poured your booze out and told you, to go straight home.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:15 PM

3,387 posts, read 2,091,225 times
I'd say underage drinking is a fairly normal 'run-in' with law enforcement. Maybe breaking up parties that get out of hand, possibly trespassing (football fields after hours, vacant buildings, etc.), and perhaps a few other examples.

Forging a prescription is more serious.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'd say underage drinking is a fairly normal 'run-in' with law enforcement. Maybe breaking up parties that get out of hand, possibly trespassing (football fields after hours, vacant buildings, etc.), and perhaps a few other examples.

Forging a prescription is more serious.
Yes, this is a good point. Many teens have had or could have had run ins if they were caught. Underage drinking, marijuana, public urination, loitering, littering, and many other things (how about jay walking) warrant run ins but people are just not caught.

It's important to distinguish some "crimes" from others. And it's important to understand that a teenager does not have as good an appreciation as an adult of the offense of forging a prescription. They don't think it is a big deal, we (being adults) understand that it can be.

Many things need to be considered. So all who say it is not normal are being goody goodies so go ahead and start with the "well, I never" blah blah blah, and throw your stones. I'll go ahead and admit to doing many things that were "illegal" and either was not caught or let go. I am a very successful adult with a family, home, career, etc.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 8,451,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Teens of color, especially black teens, and most especially black male teens are often targets of cops and do experience higher levels of harassment from the police. But it's not normal for most teens to actually have committed felonies and have to deal with potential jail time. If it is normal among your cousin's friends, he needs a new group of friends.
This thread has **** to do with race, why are you bringing it up?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:47 PM

4,182 posts, read 6,071,390 times
OP, the young man in question, most importantly, is NOT a teenager under U.S. law. He is an adult. If he were a teenager (under 18 in most states, sometimes 19) there are many ways that the damaging effects of this might be ameliorated, i.e., juvenile court, where records are not public.

But he is an adult charged with a felony. First off, get him a really good lawyer. Pay through the nose to do that. It will be worth it to avoid a felony conviction, if possible. Perhaps the lawyer can get the charge reduced somehow, or the case moved to the local drug court and ultimately discharged. But as others have said, this is a serious crime and so it it is VERY important to avoid having a felony record because that can close doors to getting many jobs, renting an apartment, taking out a loan, or joining the military. Have your relatives do everything possible to avoid him having a felony.

It's not uncommon for drug users/dealers to get caught by the police in all sorts of legal trouble. But forging prescriptions is an order of magnitude worse than using a fake ID to buy booze or getting caught smoking a joint in the park. And yes, race is a factor. Black and Hispanic youth too often suffer the harshest consequences from breaking drug laws, and that is often because their families cannot afford the good lawyers they need or just because of run-of-the-mill systemic racism.

The young man thinks forging prescriptions is normal? It's not.That he thinks it is shows that he needs help badly: Legal help, probably psychological help, and possibly, if he is addicted, medical help.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-11-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 02:38 PM

15,334 posts, read 24,130,889 times
no, its not normal for teens to have run ins with the law, and as a parent in my house, its unacceptable.
thank god it never happened though.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
Why exactly do many countries consider fraud/forgery such a grave offense compared even to theft?
I haven't looked at the sentencing guidelines so don't know if they do.

But it is a philosophical question, why is spitting considered a crime in some areas, or why is vandalism "worse" than littering? Answers to these are driven by what a societal culture considers to be "worse".

Forging can include things like fraud, impersonation, etc. It is a crime that can hurt others rather than just oneself. It is a crime that can affect others in a very negative way. So there are different types of forging. Forging a Rx IMO is not as bad as Forging a check.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
no, its not normal for teens to have run ins with the law, and as a parent in my house, its unacceptable.
thank god it never happened though.
Pfffft, not that you know of and nothing they've been caught for.

Through high school, college, etc. many very good people have done things that would warrant a run in. Kids do stupid things. They don't understand or don't care about the consequences. They have much less to lose than adults. Back then I've had run ins, my friends have too. Many of the people I went to grad school had run ins, some spent a night in jail. We all went to a prestigious and well known grade school, I keep in touch with them via facebook. Most are very happy, well adjusted, successful adults with careers and families.

What does unacceptable mean? Would you throw your kid out of the house if they were brought in for Public drunkeness, or anything else really? I mean you wouldn't help your kid? Unacceptable...what a crock.

It may not be "normal" as in greater than 50% of the population but I'd betcha kids do things that warrant a run in much more than a fake moral person would want to believe. So go ahead - draw your invisible line and put your head in the sand. As parents, we do our best and kids still do stupid stuff. Even "good" kids, if you can bring yourself to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting