Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

Misdemeanors are common enough that we rely on kids serving community service hours to man the charity I work at. We don't accept anyone convicted of a felony, and some charges rule out others, including theft and assault. There is no shortage of teens and young adults sentenced to work off speeding tickets or pot possession though. Most of the adults coming in are looking to work off DUI fines.

Knock wood though, none of my three kids have ever been arrested for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 02:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
I’ve never been arrested for anything but my mom used to call the cops on me all the time.
My mom would tell me to go to bed and I’d go to my room and shut my door and turn off my lights and lay on my phone or my laptop getting tired and she’d ALWAYS come back like 15 minutes later to check to see if I was sleeping yet (who knows why) and would start a screaming match if I wasn’t.

Sometimes it would result in her calling the cops.

I vow to never be like her.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I’ve never been arrested for anything but my mom used to call the cops on me all the time.
My mom would tell me to go to bed and I’d go to my room and shut my door and turn off my lights and lay on my phone or my laptop getting tired and she’d ALWAYS come back like 15 minutes later to check to see if I was sleeping yet (who knows why) and would start a screaming match if I wasn’t.

Sometimes it would result in her calling the cops.

I vow to never be like her.
Because she wanted you to get your rest instead of be on screens all night.

Calling the cops is weird though - must be more to it but whatever.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Because she wanted you to get your rest instead of be on screens all night.

Calling the cops is weird though - must be more to it but whatever.
She called the cops a lot over a lot of things.
It was always when we were arguing and always when I was disagreeing with her.
She started doing it when I was in 7th grade and then it stopped when I was 19 and they kept telling her they couldn’t do anything because I wasn’t breaking the law and all she could do was deal with it or kick me out.

I did get my rest but no one falls asleep in 15 minutes. I still do it today. I lay down, I’m on my phone maybe 30 minutes and then I’m usually asleep by then.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM

190 posts, read 128,979 times
By age 23, at least a quarter of all youth in the U.S. — and perhaps as many as 41% — are arrested at least once for something more serious than a traffic violation, according to a new study of American teens.
The study is the first since the 1960s to try to determine the percentage of youth who are arrested. Previously, the research estimated that 22% of Americans had been arrested at least once for a non-traffic violation by age 23. Study: 1 in 3 Americans Arrested By Age 23 | TIME.com

Notice they even excluded arrests for their self enriching traffic violation revenue rackets and STILL the number is high.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:54 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Not normal. Only one of our kids had a run in with the law, other than tickets. My stepson was with two friends who were shoplifting. He was seen on camera, trying to convince them not to do it. He was so upset, he threw up in the police car.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 PM

438 posts, read 376,499 times
My mother in law was a bit of a wild child in her day (for example at 14 her and a friend "borrowed" her uncles trusk and drove to LA where she pretty much lived like a real life Iris from Taxi Driver) and always talks about skipping out on class, drinking beer and getting in fights, and getting away with all kinds of ridicules things. Every time she ends it with "but that's what being a normal teen is like."

To her my husband and I are the odd ones out for being "goody two-shoes" and not ever being arrested. Because all she did was find trouble or hang around trouble her perception of teenhood is limited to her own experience which was filled with teens who did the same and everyone and every behavior outside their world didn't exist. I've found that for people who make regrettable actions this is the way they excuse the behavior.

And don't get me wrong, my MiL is a wonderful lady who ended up turning her life around and ended up becoming a very strong parent and raised her son in a way that he became the intelligent and highly responsible man I'm happily married to. But that woman has a warped idea of what normal teenage behavior is and I can say for certain that 80% of my high school and college peers had never talked to a cop outside the school safety officer, let alone get in trouble to the point of being arrested by one and/or charged with a crime.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:21 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Default No it is not normal, but it happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

What's your experience with this?
No most teens do not get in trouble with the law. Fake age carders are generally kicked out of pubs. I had one when I was their age. I have not heard of police being called in my day but it would depend on the doorman. Benzos are a class 4 drug subject to a prison term of 2 -10 years.

Rebellion. Kids that do not have a role model (parent). are neglected. and had less hugging or praise in their development will not develop healthy coping skills when they are faced with personal conflict and pain.They cope by expressing pent up disappointment, resentment and anger and lash out for attention, any attention. Vandalization is common among these.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:14 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.
It's called "rationalization" -- "everyone else is doing it, I'm not any worse than anyone else." I call B.S. on this logic. I know very few teens who have had run-ins with the law. Most ADULTS I know have had maybe a speeding ticket as their only encounter with law enforcement in their life. He's definitely hanging with the wrong crowd if he doesn't think it's unusual.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I would be more concerned with the attempt to obtain benzos, going to assume they were for personal use, and not for selling.(if the goal was to sell them, that IS criminal), but for personal use, not so much imo, about on the level of trying to use a fake ID to buy beer.

Its the ridiculous prescription drug laws that have caused these problems...govt puts tough restrictions on certain prescription drugs, but then all the addicts go the street to find and buy drugs...Yeah, thats real safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting