Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,388 times

Advertisements

My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

What's your experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law". Is this true? He specifies teens using fake age cards to enter and think's it a bit ridiculous that he's facing prosecution for forgery when in his mind, it's the same thing.

Leave what you think about his behavior aside, is it normal for teens/young adults in general to either have run-ins with the law (aside from things like driving over the speed limit) and/or getting a criminal record?

Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those. But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.

Most people try to avoid "run-ins" with the law, but felonies are not run-ins.

He will learn how serious this is when he (IF he) tries to get a job or a loan or get into the military.

As for most teens, a speeding ticket can be a good wake-up call. But forging prescriptions is serious ****. Looks like his parents are gonna have years of misery with this one.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,692,069 times
Not normal at all.

Forging prescriptions is a serious offense, far from using a fake ID. Any offense concerning medications is a warning to parents.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
No..it's not normal for teens to have run-ins with the law.....at least not for most of them.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
I'd say no to teens committing Felonies. Only one person I grew up with found themselves facing a Felony, and it did not translate well to long-term success. However pretty much most of my clique got "yelled at" by cops at some point in their youth for stupid minor stuff like using a fake id, or loitering after dark. Of course, those were minor in my day. Who knows what using a fake ID gets you these days.

Quote:

Socioeconomic status does play a role here. It's a sad reality that when you have money, you can afford to pay a good lawyer to get your kid out of certain trouble. Those with lower income don't have that luxury, and get run through the system to find themselves with criminal records and unable to advance themselves because of it.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,013,286 times
Quote:
My cousin who is e 20 in the States has been caught trying to receive benzos with a forged prescription. I read it's a felony there so pretty serious. He seemed to think that "most teens have run-ins with the law".
Except he's not a teen who had a run-in with the law. He's an adult charged with a Felony. Two very different things.

Quote:
No. I'm not saying that it causes people to swoon in disbelief when it happens because it does happen but it's not like it's some rite of passage or anything. Something more common but still not normal would be something like underage drinking or getting popped for weed.

Quote:
Most of my family are surprised because they think that it's mostly "lower class/ghetto" teens/young adults who face getting criminal records or people who hang out with the wrong crowd. My cousin is neither of those.
Well, unfortunately; he is the wrong crowd now but kids from upper-class & definitely not-ghetto neighborhoods can get in trouble just the same as anyone else. Whether or not they are as likely to get a conviction out of that trouble is a different story; as their families can afford criminal defense lawyers.

Quote:
But then again, he is a completely isolated loner so I suppose he never got the feedback from his peers that this was probably not the norm and very serious in eyes of the law.
When did you last see him? Drugs can change a person & he might have a completely different identity by now. Maybe he did fall in with the wrong crowd at first but ultimately, he made a decision not to pick himself back up again. Forging a prescription for drugs is indicative of addiction; not just trying to look cool.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,720,006 times
Normal is so subjective.

I think many teens do things that would warrant a "run in" (whatever that means to the OP) with the law but don't get caught.

But it is absolutely not a low class thing. Many teens from "higher class" families and neighborhoods do things that warrant a run in.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:19 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
Not remotely normal for when I was a teen or any of the teens I know now.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,913,580 times
"What's your experience with this?'

my (my cousin's, actually) experience is prison time.
not "jail", but prison. years behind bars. felonies do that.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
No, being a felon is not "normal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting