U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 PM

2,580 posts, read 4,509,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But at least with the Samoan name, they did it because of tradition. It was part of the mother's culture. I doubt Abcde is a traditional name in anyone's family, and it is definitely not cultural.
Interestingly, I did a little research and it's not common, but there are hundreds of girls named it each year. Seems to trace to Hawaiian roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abcde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 12:45 AM

11,282 posts, read 6,747,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Interestingly, I did a little research and it's not common, but there are hundreds of girls named it each year. Seems to trace to Hawaiian roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abcde
Just because a child was given that name in Hawaii does not make it a Hawaiian name.

It's someone thinking they're being creative by using the first 5 letters of the alphabet. It's not creative, and it's certainly not cultural.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:31 AM

116 posts, read 30,984 times
What the gate agent did is unacceptable, yes. But....

Assuming this childs parents didnt pop into existence as fully fledged ignorant adults they should be aware of the inexplicable cruelty of adults and children alike. Any adult who looks at that name in the baby name book and thinks yeah that's a good idea shows a tremendous lack of foresight into their childs future and there is no excuse for that. Instead of saying I dont know why people are making fun of your name, people arent nice she should have said this wont be the last time this happens so get used to it

Old 11-30-2018, 05:19 AM

9,669 posts, read 3,326,066 times
You can't make this stuff up. If the parents have any common sense they will start calling her Abby instead.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 AM

16,383 posts, read 9,044,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Yeah, the employee was rude and shouldn't have done what he did. But what's going to happen when kid starts elementary school. Mom's fault, kind of

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-46390368

A last name in my family can be made fun of. I asked my second cousin if she had problems growing up with that last name. She said at first. Then she got thick skin and then learned to not take so seriously, even played into the jokes. She is hilarious btw. Also told me about some of the t-shirts worn at family reunion, I'm a Dick. Yes, her last name is Dick. Use your imagination.
The child's teachers and peers will learn how to pronounce her name. The end.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM

10,486 posts, read 16,900,971 times
Stupid name, stupid agent.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 AM

4,963 posts, read 5,523,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

Stupid name, stupid agent.
That about sums it up!

Life is hard enough without being named "Abcde" and expecting people to know to pronounce it "Ab-city".

That said, I can't believe the agents were so dumb. They know they represent the airline.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 4,509,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just because a child was given that name in Hawaii does not make it a Hawaiian name.

It's someone thinking they're being creative by using the first 5 letters of the alphabet. It's not creative, and it's certainly not cultural.
Where did I say it was Hawaiian or culturally Hawaiian?

I said it had its *roots* IN Hawaii because the hospital in Kona was the FIRST PLACE that recorded it.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:44 AM

10,916 posts, read 19,173,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Your husband spent time going to a radio station to prove a girl was named "Abcde" to get a t-shirt?
It was 5 min from his work, and yes, he did. It's exactly the kind of goofy thing he used to do. And he called the t-shirt his Abcde shirt

Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 AM

11,282 posts, read 6,747,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Where did I say it was Hawaiian or culturally Hawaiian?

I said it had its *roots* IN Hawaii because the hospital in Kona was the FIRST PLACE that recorded it.
No, the first idiot to name their child abcde just happened to live in Hawaii... The name does not have Hawaiian roots, it has nothing to do with the state or people of Hawaii. Idiots live everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or