Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 PM

323 posts, read 215,247 times

Advertisements

Our local library is great but the past few times I've gone, my child ended up with a stomach bug. Vomiting, high fever...twice now. Should I contact management to ask about their cleaning practices? Do they Lysol the toys? I'll just take him to another library....what would you do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,951,822 times
Do you take your child to story hour or group activity time? Maybe he is getting sick from being exposed to the other children? Did you go other places the same days that you went to the library?

Also, getting sick twice may be just a coincidence.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,112,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Do you take your child to story hour or group activity time? Maybe he is getting sick from being exposed to the other children? Did you go other places the same days that you went to the library?

Also, getting sick twice may be just a coincidence.
Norovirus, rotavirus, and other "stomach bugs" are very contagious and any library is under constant siege every single day. Even if they did disinfect every toy, every surface, every book the reintroduction is going to happen pretty quickly.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:55 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,647,869 times
Dunno. We clean with just water at home. We don't use disinfectant. We do use the sanitize rinse cycle and wash our hands religiously.

Kids are VERY rarely sick, though we hit public places and the library at least twice a week.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,680,475 times
This is the time of year for lots of illnesses. It could be the library or it could be the grocery store, any public bathroom (gross, I know!), or anywhere else you take your child. Could be a coincidence or maybe not. You could try switching to the other library, but chances are good that your little one will pick up illnesses somewhere else. I know it's frustrating and worrisome, but that's just par for the course when you have a toddler/preschooler.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
Everything everyone else said, plus, do you wash their hands when you're finished? The best thing any of us can do to keep from getting sick is wash our hands. There is a chance that the cleaning products the library uses don't kill the kind of germs you are getting. If you want to pursue it you could try to talk to someone there about the cleaning products they are using, and maybe even have the health department determine if they are effective.

Oh, and how long after going to the library does he get sick? Norovirus onset is a day or 2.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,712,739 times
Any place where there are lots of children touching surfaces, kids will catch viruses. Either avoid these "infectorama" play places, or teach your kids to keep their hands away from their faces at all times, carry hand sanitizer with you, sanitize hands frequently, and take them to the bathroom to wash their hands very well before you leave, and don't touch anything on your way out.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Any place where there are lots of children touching surfaces, kids will catch viruses.
Yep, I did notice that both times we went to a local skating rink over the winter one year, where they had arcade games, two of my kids got the flu. It's not a coincidence.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,692,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Any place where there are lots of children touching surfaces, kids will catch viruses. Either avoid these "infectorama" play places, or teach your kids to keep their hands away from their faces at all times, carry hand sanitizer with you, sanitize hands frequently, and take them to the bathroom to wash their hands very well before you leave, and don't touch anything on your way out.
This

Diligence with handwashing is a must for all of us to avoid getting illnesses while in public. During flu season you might consider not bringing children to the library....or keeping them with you instead of with the toy section.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,108,291 times
I think I would bring it to the attention of someone in charge at the Library. May or may not be from there but no reason they should not be using good sanitary practices. I would also wipe down your children as soon as you go to the car from the library and any other such public places, also Always wipe down your grocery carts before use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting