U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 398,892 times

Advertisements

My first started walking at 9 mos, totally skipped crawling. My second didn't walk until about 12-14 mos. because her brother did EVERYTHING for her. She was also a late talker. Both are ahead of the curve in school, below the curve size-wise. Averages are just that--averages. Unless the parents & doctor are concerned, I would not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM

787 posts, read 377,986 times
It's in the normal range, so not something to worry about. Especially for those who are not the parents of the child.

Babies walk when they walk and it has nothing to do with anything other than when they are ready. Definitely not holding them "too much". I held my babies all the time and they all walked between 9 and 11 months, which is on the early to very early (9 months) side, but still in the range.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 10 days ago)

13,664 posts, read 5,381,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
My nephew is 14 months old is not walking. He can stand up. But he always seems to want to be picked up instead. He would cry when he isn't picked up. He likes the baby walker. I was already walking at 10 months old my mother said. Should we stop picking him up?
My older son walked at 10 1/2 months; younger son at 17 months. He is 21 now.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 2,628,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
My nephew is 14 months old is not walking. He can stand up. But he always seems to want to be picked up instead. He would cry when he isn't picked up. He likes the baby walker. I was already walking at 10 months old my mother said. Should we stop picking him up?

My sister's little girl did not walk until she was around 16 months--she was amazing with her small motor abilities. She could dress a Barbie correctly, she could take Mr Potato Head and put all his parts correctly on. All her energy and interest were in her small motor abilities. I don't think you should be concerned. NOR do I think you should voice your concerns to the parents.

My sons did not walk until they were about 13-14 months.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:22 PM

1,843 posts, read 633,333 times
Did anyone ask his pediatrician?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM

5,240 posts, read 4,152,395 times
Kids progress at different times and levels. When he wants to walk, he will.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:42 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,801,836 times
Way back when, I was an early talker but late walker. I was also a very chubby baby, and my mother kept small throw rugs on polished wooden floors. Being throw rugs, they did just that when I attempted to walk, resulting in me falling, being startled and scared of trying it again. Little children usually wore lace-up ankle- high shoes with slick leather soles back then, which was probably also a factor as those stiff soles would provide little traction on slick wooden floors.

When my mother (who told me all this years later, I have no memory of any of it) figured it out, she got rid of the throw rugs, consulted the pediatrician, who reassured her and stated that early walking in a heavy baby can lead to bowed legs (he also put me on skim milk very, very early, well before this time).

I eventually walked - and joyfully ran, the same day, I have a photo - on Easter Sunday, on the front walk, when I was about fifteen or sixteen months old (would have to check and see when Easter came that year to determine my exact age). Within little more than a year, I was climbing trees and peddling a tricycle with no difficulty, and the weight came off readily.

So - watch out for slick floors, throw rugs, stiff shoes with slick leather soles, and lack of opportunity. But this little one is well within normal limits, so most of all, be patient.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:43 PM

18,465 posts, read 10,104,791 times
My question would be: Is he getting around, such as in the walker.

At that age, he should want to be getting around the room on his own. If he's able to do that in the walker, he might not feel a need to do it all on his own.

He's as intelligent as his parents, and he'll settle for the easy way to do things just as an adult will.

I'd worry if he seemed to be satisfied, at that age, with staying in one place.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM

11,800 posts, read 17,232,220 times
My first was about a year old when he took his very first steps. My daughter on the other hand was just over 10 months. All kids are different. No worries. You will have plenty of time to run after them later

Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 PM

10,217 posts, read 9,472,794 times
I think the irony is that there's all this concern about babies learning how to walk only for many kids to become total couch potatoes when they're older and you order them to get out and walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or