Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

I would not worry. He won't be 18 yrs old and not walking. As long as the pediatrician is ok with things.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:09 PM

242 posts, read 262,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would not worry. He won't be 18 yrs old and not walking. As long as the pediatrician is ok with things.

Best of luck.
Thanks this made me chuckle. I was speaking to my mom this morning and she said 'oh, he is fine, he is 14 months not 14 years' . Thanks everyone. Only people that are a bit worried is me and my dad, the parents seem to be fine. My brothers and me all walked around 10 months.
I know, every child is different.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
Thanks this made me chuckle. I was speaking to my mom this morning and she said 'oh, he is fine, he is 14 months not 14 years' . Thanks everyone. Only people that are a bit worried is me and my dad, the parents seem to be fine. My brothers and me all walked around 10 months.
We (DD and I) also worried about oldest grandson still not walking when he was well past a year old. She ( DD) started walking early (10 months). Grandson was born in November, and took his first steps in February, when he was over 15 months. And I missed seeing it by a couple of hours! I'd babysat him all weekend so his parents could go on a romantic getaway, and he gave no clue he was ready to stand up and walk. Shortly after I left to go home, he took off! They sent me a video.

Youngest grandson was exactly 14 months and one week. I WAS lucky enough to be there. We were at DD's store, and he just got up and took off, while I frantically gestured to DD and son-in-law. I'm thinking he saw something on the shelves he wanted to get, and couldn't reach crawling.

Some kids don't walk until they're good and ready, and your nephew is obviously one of them!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-07-2018 at 12:54 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Not that you would do this intentionally, but just be sure you don't make comments in front of the child that could be taken as unnecessarily critical.

Child development milestones happen in a range of ages, and just because some family members have expectations that a child "should have" passed some of the milestones by a certain time doesn't mean it's true. I know your nephew is very young, but the perception that a child is behind can stay with a child for years.

It's just something I'm passing along that I've noticed over the years.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
My nephew is 14 months old is not walking. He can stand up. But he always seems to want to be picked up instead. He would cry when he isn't picked up. He likes the baby walker. I was already walking at 10 months old my mother said. Should we stop picking him up?

Is he meeting most of his development milestones? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. My middle child did not walk until he was around 16 months old. However, he was talking very well. At the time my ped told me that some kids put all their energy into talking and walking comes later. She said it is only an issue if a child shows other signs of slow development.

BTW-my son is 22 years old, a college graduate, employed, and living independently. His brothers both walked earlier than he did (9 months and 12 months) but they all turned out ok.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Does he have parents? Is there any reason to worry about the parents' parenting?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:34 AM

242 posts, read 262,852 times
Yes, he has parents. I just felt his mother picked him up too much. That is just my observation when I go over their house. Baby always wants to be picked up. When I come over he would crawl towards me and pull himself up using my pants or legs and cry (crocodile tears) as if asking to be picked up.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Yes, he has parents. I just felt his mother picked him up too much. That is just my observation when I go over their house. Baby always wants to be picked up. When I come over he would crawl towards me and pull himself up using my pants or legs and cry (crocodile tears) as if asking to be picked up.

I don't think that has much to do with walking. He will walk. Babies like to be picked up and loved.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
I sat like a blob for 18 months. They massaged my legs with various oils and Gawd only knows what all. Mom and Nana worried themselves sick. At 18 months, pulled myself up and started walking. Never went thru the crawling stage according to them.

Next birthday less than a month, age 75, still able to walk.

Younger brother walked at 13 mos. by the way.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
My oldest daughter did not walk until she was 14 months old. My youngest daughter did not walk until she was 16 months old. Both are/were perfectly fine. My pediatrician was never concerned. It is considered perfectly normal for babies to not start walking until 16 or 17 months old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting