Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 PM

242 posts, read 262,852 times

Advertisements

My nephew is 14 months old is not walking. He can stand up. But he always seems to want to be picked up instead. He would cry when he isn't picked up. He likes the baby walker. I was already walking at 10 months old my mother said. Should we stop picking him up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
My nephew is 14 months old is not walking. He can stand up. But he always seems to want to be picked up instead. He would cry when he isn't picked up. He likes the baby walker. I was already walking at 10 months old my mother said. Should we stop picking him up?
Is he the only child?

Some babies walk earlier, but some wait. Is he pulling up on furniture or standing on his own with help?

I wouldn't worry until he's 18 months old and not walking.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Probably okay. Average age for walking is 13 months. Normal to walk as late as 16 months. I once saw a boy who didn't walk until 20 months, who had nothing wrong with him. I have also seen kids who walked later than 16 months (more like 2 years) who DID have something wrong.

Baby walkers keep infants from learning to walk. They need to scrabble around on the floor, stand alone, and cruise the furniture before they walk. Walkers keep them from bearing full weight on their legs, balancing, coordinating. Plus they are dangerous because kids walk them through the accidentally left open door to the stairs! Or "run" them over to the hot oven door that was just opened, and burn their hands on it. Of crush their hands between the walker and the doorway, or furniture. Get rid of it, and junior will probably be walking in a few weeks.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
What's the doctor say?

Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is he the only child?

Some babies walk earlier, but some wait. Is he pulling up on furniture or standing on his own with help?

I wouldn't worry until he's 18 months old and not walking.
Yes he is the only child. And yes, I have seen him pull himself up with the help of furniture.
Thanks.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Probably okay. Average age for walking is 13 months. Normal to walk as late as 16 months. I once saw a boy who didn't walk until 20 months, who had nothing wrong with him. I have also seen kids who walked later than 16 months (more like 2 years) who DID have something wrong.

Baby walkers keep infants from learning to walk. They need to scrabble around on the floor, stand alone, and cruise the furniture before they walk. Walkers keep them from bearing full weight on their legs, balancing, coordinating. Plus they are dangerous because kids walk them through the accidentally left open door to the stairs! Or "run" them over to the hot oven door that was just opened, and burn their hands on it. Of crush their hands between the walker and the doorway, or furniture. Get rid of it, and junior will probably be walking in a few weeks.
Thanks for the advice about the walkers. I didn't know this.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What's the doctor say?
I have no idea. He looks healthy. He did stand up by himself once, which made me so happy. But after that he hasn't tried to walk since.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I have no idea. He looks healthy. He did stand up by himself once, which made me so happy. But after that he hasn't tried to walk since.
You could express you concerns to his parents (your bro/sister). They'll probably tell you to MYOB and that the doctor says he's fine.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Not a big worry, if their doctor has cleared him of any issues.

I have a nephew who didn't walk until he was over 18 months. But his parents never encouraged him to move around on his own, and in fact his mom often discouraged him. Which was really weird to me, my husband and I had a hoot when our daughter was at that stage - we rearranged the living room to help her cruise around, would "walk" holding her hands, encouraged her to chase us crawling. I got down on the floor with my nephew when he was 6 months or so and we played a game that involved encouraging him to stretch and reach for toys, worming his way around. My brother was surprised and said that they never did anything like that with him. My nephew eventually got going, though, and is now a fully mobile teenager.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My oldest started walking later than that, and her doctor said that was nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting