Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
How old are the girls? Electronic/battery operated toy instruments, like drums, keyboards, toy guitars, microphones, etc. are always a good, fun, unisex gift for kids. They even cultivate a love of music and dance that could last them a lifetime.
But why do the toys have to be unisex? What's wrong with giving a girl a doll, or a make-up set, or nail polish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Old lego ad with a newer one as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lego_ad_by_girl_who_was_in_the_1981_ad_PFZ_Meme.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	205680

Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I have three daughters (and two sons). My daughters are 14, 12, and 4. My older son will be 9 in a couple weeks. This year, my three daughters (and son) are receiving Saberforge lightsabers. (my husband and I have our own) That is their "big" gift. My older two are hardcore anime, manga, and comics nerds, so they're getting various posters and wall art. I also got them a framed sand art decor for their room and boba tea and sushi kits. Both are getting STEM kits and brain teaser activity games. Also PS4 games. My 12yo is into crystals and geodes and nature-y things, so I'm planning to get her a few more things for her stocking. One of their favorite stores (and mine) is Hot Topic. They never got into dolls and barbies. They liked building things, comics, video games, drawing, books, crafts, activity kits, etc.

My 4yo is getting her first (pink) BJJ gi. She's also getting a toy Dyson vacuum and broom set, DC and Marvel capes, a remote control car (it climbs walls), activity and craft kits, and drawing stuff.

Two years ago, my then-10yo was really into cooking and baking, so I got her a stand mixer, personalized baking ware and apron, cookbooks, etc. She also got a ton of books and some clothes. My then-12yo really wanted specialty markers, Copic markers, and other drawing accessories. She also wanted a drawing tablet and a stop-motion program. Both girls also got Steam games and Kindles. My 12yo used to be into Legos.

As for me, I was into Barbies, dollhouses, Polly Pocket, Lite-Brite, stuffed animals, and dolls. But I also played with race tracks, Legos, Creepy Crawlers, craft kits, science kits, K'Nex, video games, comics, and was obsessed with martial arts movies and movies in general. My mom got me a lot of Bruce Lee and JCVD movies. I had my own TV. I had a Game Boy (color), NES, SNES, N64, Sega Game Gear, etc.

I wasn't limited to any one type of toy. I played with whatever I liked.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:54 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband’s buying toys for my girls. So he bought them LEGO’s, kinetic sets, etc.. Mostly toys for building things. But we did buy a doll house, request from one kid one year. She also requested Barbie dolls for her birthday and she did gets lots of them. Very few electronic toys nor video games. We want them to do built something.
I think it's great to expose kids to toys that might not be what the stereotypes dictate. I'm female, and grew up in the early 1950s. I got wooden blocks in all kinds of shapes when I was very young. Built many a castle in those days! And lots of little cars -- long before Hot Wheels. Then we moved on to chemistry sets, crystal radios, Lincoln logs, even an Erector set. Oh, and my very own American Flyer electric train set!

My dad was a chemical engineer, and I'm sure he hoped I'd follow in those footsteps for a career. I did not -- but I think I benefitted significantly from playing with those "appropriate for boys" toys when I was young.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But why do the toys have to be unisex? What's wrong with giving a girl a doll, or a make-up set, or nail polish?
What's wrong with it? It would make mom and dad feel like unreconstructed Stepford Parents! It would teach the girls that their only value is in motherhood, their appearance, their desirability to men! It would reinforce the patriarchy!

That's why, I'm getting the young females in our family AR-15's, work boots, CrossFit memberships, chain saws, and flannel. Hoo Rah! Girl Power!

Our newest tradition, at our family gatherings, the youngest female is in charge of carving the Turkey or Ham. No Exceptions. And the men do all the dishes while the women hang out and drink whiskey.

(I hope you detect my sarcasm. I think some parents project their own insecurities or dreams on their kids through the gifts they give, sometimes.)

Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What's wrong with it? It would make mom and dad feel like unreconstructed Stepford Parents! It would teach the girls that their only value is in motherhood, their appearance, their desirability to men! It would reinforce the patriarchy!

That's why, I'm getting the young females in our family AR-15's, work boots, CrossFit memberships, chain saws, and flannel. Hoo Rah! Girl Power!

Our newest tradition, at our family gatherings, the youngest female is in charge of carving the Turkey or Ham. No Exceptions. And the men do all the dishes while the women hang out and drink whiskey.

(I hope you detect my sarcasm. I think some parents project their own insecurities or dreams on their kids through the gifts they give, sometimes.)
I had to read through to the very end to have it explained to me! I wish we had a "sarcasm font" here. I agree with you.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We had 3 girls and 2 boys. there were always all kings and all genders of toys laying around. they played with whatever they chose to play with. Mostly they chose animals and monsters anyway. neither the girls or the boys seemed to like dolls of any gender overly much. One difference, the boys loved to sword fight and shot each other with toy guns for hours and hours. the girls had only limited interest in either and what interest they had was mostly just to play withe their brothers. Some of the girls did like learning to shoot real guns and became good at it, but did not get absorbed into it like one of the boys did. The boys use for dolls (male or female) and cute little stuffed toys was to line them up on the stairs and shoot them with something so they fell down the stairs when hit.

Really our kids were more into electronic games, assembly track type toys like hot wheels or that marble maze tower toy, and musical instruments. they also loved making adorable movies with our video camera.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ummm...did you even READ the OP's post?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
With Christmas coming up, it reminded me of a video I watched showing many dozens of commercials from the 80s/90s and man, boys toys were WAYYYYYYY cooler than girls toys. Boys got GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT toys, etc. etc. etc. it was endless. Yet the girls got...barbies, dolls that had snot and peed and burped...really bad.

Granted, you could still buy boys toys for girls so it got me thinking, for parents that have younger daughter(s) or in the past did, what kind of toys did you get for them?

My daughter inherited all of her older brother’s toys (legos, stuffed animals, train sets, kitchen and food supplies, art set, blocks, scooters, etc). She loved all of her toys. One thing we did add at her request was Disney princess crap. Every play date (at a girl’s house) that’s she attended was full of princess dolls and warddrobe. Every girl birthday party that she attended was princess themed. She was 3ish.

She still loves all of her hand me down toys from her brothers.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:59 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I grew up in the 1940's and 50's. I wanted a chemistry set and an erector set fiercely, but was told every year "those are for boys".

You can bet I bought a chemistry set and an erector set for my daughter when she was old enough. Unfortunately, she wasn't the slightest bit interested in them, but I sure had a good time with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting