Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:15 PM

986 posts, read 819,812 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to your thoughts.

18yo girl away at college and parents want them to leave on "find my phone" on their cellphone so they check in and locate them. Kid really doesn't like the fact parent can locate(track) them. I can understand both sides but just curious as to what parents take is on this as I'm not one. This was a convo at work. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 PM

188 posts, read 547,877 times
I’m no parent of an 18 year old, but I am a parent and I think the request is pathological to the core.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,625,994 times
That's horrible on the parents' part.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 AM

13,274 posts, read 8,405,541 times
1: the phone would need to be sutured to the teens body. Otherwise it's a device sitting someplace. Get it?
2: is the teen secretive? Short on making safe decisions? There is little detail conveyed to determine if this young teen is : medically challenged. .epilepsy comes to mind. Or suicidal.
I tend to think parents seeking a way to stay in touch goes to the bigger picture of the overall welfare of the young adult and the environment.

Most assume from this post that at 18 the person is miraculously healthy ...intelligent and immune from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 AM

37,105 posts, read 42,123,049 times
My 31 year old insists on it and many of her friends use it with each other. She actually gave me a bad time for not letter her track me! I don't mind this at all. She travels a lot on her own and I think it makes her feel better knowing I, and maybe others, can see if she's getting to where she's supposed to be. Yeah I know it's a phone and not physically attached to her, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,710,020 times
All of us (me, my husband, my almost-18-year-old and my 15 year old) use Life360 on our phones. I don't think there's anything pathological about it. We all travel at various times to various places, often without each other, and it's reassuring to know that if something happened, my family would know the last place I was or I'd know the last place my kid was. I don't think it's really about tracking the person, more of a safety backup.

My answer would be different if mom was texting the kid saying, "Why were you at this address until 10 pm and why didn't you go straight home? What did you buy at the gas station?" That type of tracking would be over the top.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:24 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,689,374 times
My wife and both my girls do that tracking thing. Pretty sure wife got one on my phone too. Though I'm 99% within my 200x200 kingdoms walls lol

Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,129,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Most assume from this post that at 18 the person is miraculously healthy ...intelligent and immune from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
No, most assume that at 18 that person is legally an adult with all the rights and responsibilities thereof and that, at that point, there's very little parenting that either can be done or is desired to be done. If, as a parent, you haven't accomplished your "goals" by that point, it's too late.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 AM

986 posts, read 819,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
1: the phone would need to be sutured to the teens body. Otherwise it's a device sitting someplace. Get it?
2: is the teen secretive? Short on making safe decisions? There is little detail conveyed to determine if this young teen is : medically challenged. .epilepsy comes to mind. Or suicidal.
I tend to think parents seeking a way to stay in touch goes to the bigger picture of the overall welfare of the young adult and the environment.

Teen is a normal, well functioning college kid. There was an example given that if here mother tells here to only have 3 people in the car she may have 4.....little pushing the limits things is my take form the convo.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:43 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,659,206 times
If parents are just going to check the location in an emergency situation fine but if parents are going to be checking the location to monitor the whereabouts and actions of the 18yr old then I think it's ridiculous and screams of overprotection. Yes I'm a parent and I know it's hard to begin and maintain the process of letting go but a parents job is to raise a healthy, secure independent person and then let that person go and live their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting