U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:38 PM

62 posts, read 238,909 times

Advertisements

I saw an article in Washington post regarding the relation between the economic status of the family and the number of children they have.
The whole tone of the article made me very sad.
The author confessed her desire to have a big family and wants to try to have a third baby soon.
I think the whole mindset of having a baby to fulfill the desire of parents is completely misguided.
We are not talking about buying another car.
We are talking about creating a sentient being who will have a complete sense of self and I think the most important to consider is the interests of children to be born.
The old concept of a perfect family with a perfect number of children, probably two or three, has to be considered very carefully given the current condition of a society at 21st century.
We don't believe in super natural beings anymore and we understand why we are behaving the way we are behaving at least on biological grounds.
Creating a bay cannot be just remained as a natural thing for us to engage in.
We have to have a good reason to have a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 PM

793 posts, read 1,988,429 times
sadly i know some family who have more children, just to have some tax breaks benefits, they have 3 now, but they are defiantly not ready to be parents and don't have patience to be one. The mom after one hour with the kids gets tired and calls his boyfriend at work wondering when he will be home.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 AM

2,838 posts, read 9,038,522 times
Oh, I didn't even think of tax breaks when deciding to have kids... I was thinking more about having them be able to unload the dishwasher for me, saving me time and energy! Now I can say "hey, unload the dishwasher, please!" and it gets done!

I also love buying shoes. With two children, I not only get to buy shoes for me, but also for two little people as well!

It's a win-win situation all around.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,436,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Oh, I didn't even think of tax breaks when deciding to have kids... I was thinking more about having them be able to unload the dishwasher for me, saving me time and energy! Now I can say "hey, unload the dishwasher, please!" and it gets done!

I also love buying shoes. With two children, I not only get to buy shoes for me, but also for two little people as well!

It's a win-win situation all around.
I hear it's nice when they can reach the glasses and get you a drink if you're thirsty too.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,740,590 times
Just wait until they can mow the grass! Then you will have it made!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM

36 posts, read 157,186 times
And if you lose the remote control... no problem. Just call one of the kids.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,874,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Just wait until they can mow the grass! Then you will have it made!
This is what I'm waiting for! Also, if you give them a quarter, they will rub your back for about 25 seconds

Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,624,604 times
hey, dont laugh-- that is what they used to do in the old days! have kids to help around the farm, or to work in factories!
but seriously, if a family wants to grow, and they can do that without relying on public assistance, i say gofor it!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,501,785 times
Seriously, having them to help with chores is nice, but the best part is when they give you that big hug and kiss and tell you that you are the best mom in the whole world! realistically, people do need to think about the financial responsibility that comes with being a parent. the tax breaks never really add up! the costs are always way more than you expect, but the amount of love...now that can't be added or totalled anywhere. it is infinite!!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,436,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
This is what I'm waiting for! Also, if you give them a quarter, they will rub your back for about 25 seconds
My daughter is 2 so she has no concept of money yet. I got her to sit behind me and gently kick my lower back the other night (I'm 8 months pregnant and very sore)...her little feet were a godsend, and she had a blast "kicking" mommy. If only she wasn't so messy with the nailpolish-I might be able to get a nice pedicure out of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or