U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

2,332 posts, read 4,866,361 times

Advertisements

A part of me wonders when people became so obsessed with other people's outerwear. My son was always warm and when he would take his coat of to play after preschool other parents would shoot daggers at me.

I do remember being a teenager and wearing mini skirts and cute jackets while feeling like I could literally freeze to death, so that's definitely part of it. But some kids, especially boys in my experience, just aren't cold. I used to monitor recess and some people would never let the kids take their coats off. In the fall and spring there are definitely mornings where you need a coat but it warms up at noon. Forcing them to wear a coat because they needed one in the morning is ridiculous. They aren't idiots, they know if they're cold. Having kids going back to school soaked with sweat isn't healthier for anyone.

There's a 2nd grader at our bus stop who is always hot and his parents have finally stopped fighting him into a winter coat (which was always in his backpack when he got home from school) and letting him wear layers. He's not sweating through recess anymore and there's no more fighting. When it's literally freezing I'm sure he'll be dressed warmly enough but I'm equally sure busybodies now are mumbling "how dare they send him out without a coat."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

5,699 posts, read 3,503,610 times
My perspective is probably skewed because I live in a place where it never freezes, in fact rarely dips below 50F/10C. However, it does get chilly at times as well as very hot other times. I have three teenagers and while I will suggest that they will be more comfortable if they bring a jacket (or change into short sleeves), I certainly don't force it, and I couldn't care less what other teens are or are not wearing as I assume by that age, they know when they are cold and they know what to do about it. Not my business.

I suppose I might feel differently if I lived where it was actually possible to die of exposure if not dressed appropriately, and even then it would depend on the circumstances (are they going straight from a heated car into a heated building?) Or if I were the type that believes that being cold makes people sick, which I'm not.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

19,451 posts, read 4,059,474 times
Lugging heavy coats around with heavy books too is difficult.

You have to lug them to every class but not wear them except going to and from school...I did the same a hundred years ago, just leave them at home.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

11,348 posts, read 9,360,305 times
In retrospect, I think it is my fault. I overdressed my kids when they were small because *I* was cold.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

9,594 posts, read 14,448,901 times
Teens have a much higher basal metabolism than older adults.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

14,159 posts, read 7,629,238 times
It is all the coolness factor. Coats, especially heavy winter coats aren't cool. Not being cool is the Kryptonite of teenagers. Plus, they aren't outside as much. I see either their parents driving them to school, or sitting in their parents, warm car at the bus stop. None of the kids socialize as they are all in the cars with mom, or dad. They get out of the car, or bus, and run into school often with no coat at all.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

819 posts, read 1,428,178 times
My nephew on Long Island saw where two mailmen challenged each other to wear shorts all winter on their walking routes. He decided to challenge himself and wear shorts all winter of his junior year. My sister an educator herself was called in to discuss his "apparel". She told the principal it was his choice and she didn't feel like fighting him over it. If he gets too cold he'll put on long pants. He went the whole winter in shorts just like the two mailmen.

His college essay was on wearing the shorts. He attended a top 25 university, has an MBA and an executive position at one of the countries largest banks. By the way on the weekends in the winter he wears shorts.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,324,769 times
I was the same way as a teenager. I think our raging hormones keep us warm.

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Status: "Almost time to fix the newel post" (set 2 days ago)

32,529 posts, read 39,871,512 times
It depends.

At the high school where I taught the majority of the kids would break out the the fleece, goose down, scarves, gloves and hats at 60°. Many would start adding long underwear at 50°.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

4,185 posts, read 1,887,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird83 View Post
My daughters are the same way, but I don’t let them go outside unless they’re all bundled up
Well ... my mom was like that too but ... Your daughters are teenagers? Do you let them out of your sight?

Heck, I was taking off those itchy hats my mom insisted on by the time I was in the 2nd grade; as soon as I was out of her sight.

In junior high there were many of us that would pack up what we wanted to wear that our parents wouldn’t let us wear & change as soon as we got to school. Or put on makeup that we were not allowed to wear.

Are you sure nobody has ever seen one of your daughters & thought; “Where is their coat?!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or