U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

2,332 posts, read 4,867,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I honestly don't know anything about coats. I've never had a winter coat and neither have my kids.

I think the point is more, that there is a fuzzy line between kids who should still have their parents helping them dress appropriately for the weather, making them put on a coat if the parent deems it called for, and "kids"/teens who should be learning to make wise choices for themselves. Through trial and error, if necessary.

I'm sure no one is saying that mothers should send their little kids out into the cold without a coat or whatever. When you get to the mid-teen years, though, you should be past the stage of "Put on a coat or I won't let you out of the house!" My conviction is that parents of normally-developing kids this age should suggest, advise, but not force that type of issue.

For example, I advised my daughter that a certain garment she had on was out of dress code for her school. She shrugged me off, but she was reprimanded at school that day and sent home to change. And, she made better clothing choices in the future. I never had to nag her again, which would NOT have been the case if I, instead of the school, had forced her to change that time. She would have just pushed the line with me again and again.

"What kind of mother lets her child wear clothing to school that she knows is out of dress code?" The kind that doesn't want it to happen again, that's what kind.

I see the winter wear as the same type of thing. If the teen becomes miserably cold, s/he will make better clothing choices next time. If s/he really doesn't mind the cold, then the parent needs to accept that, too. My sister in Spokane made her young son bundle up in the snowy winters. When he turned 15 or 16, he decided that he only wanted to wear shorts so she let it go. Guess what, he's now 18 and still alive and well and wearing shorts in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,588,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A local radio station used to have a segment called "Paranormal Tuesdays". One day, they phone interviewed this woman who claimed that whenever you see someone innapropriately dressed for the current weather. (Shorts in January, coats in July kind of thing) it's because those individuals are aliens. SHE was being serious. Whether she believed herself...I don't know. But it made me laugh then, and I still giggle about it now.
Teenagers are aliens! Because I know someone came and body snatched my sweet angel. Though I'm told they will return them at about 20 years old when they are done with the scientific experiments.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

4,871 posts, read 3,800,926 times
Some people (and most teens) run hot. I run hot. Always have.

Yesterday, the temps were right around freezing when I ran some errands. I did not wear a coat. I was in and out of my vehicle and stores, so there was no need.

Every day I open my windows at school to let in the cool air. I cannot regulate the temperature inside my classroom, and I think it's too hot at 72 degrees, so the windows get thrown open first thing in the morning and not closed until I leave.

I am getting ready to do my last minute Christmas shopping today, the temp is currently 33 degrees F, and I will not wear a coat. Or gloves. Or a hat. I never wear a hat, even when it's around 0 degrees F.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

7,292 posts, read 5,408,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They have a different internal thermostat, is all I can figure. The cold simply does not bother them.
I notice that too. I also remember that while I have/had ski jacket type heavy winter coats growing up, for much of my outside time I'd be fine in a sweatshirt and flannel shirt provided I stayed dry.

I'm not at all old now but I do want another layer.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

5,995 posts, read 6,456,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The question is, why?? There was a time, when mothers wouldn't let their kids out of the house without a coat in winter. It gets cold standing around, waiting for the school bus, especially if it's windy.
Because some parents started realizing some kids just run hot and itís not worth the argument.

Up until my great grandmothers passing almost 2 years ago sheíd be on my ass about a coat when it was cold and I still donít do more than a hoodie or a pull over when itís cold and Iím 29. SOMETIMES I put on a beanie and I donít use gloves unless I can find the ones that work with my phone, which isnít often since I misplace them.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

5,995 posts, read 6,456,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Teenagers are aliens! Because I know someone came and body snatched my sweet angel. Though I'm told they will return them at about 20 years old when they are done with the scientific experiments.
Try 30. The 20s are a trip too especially if they donít move out right away.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

5,159 posts, read 4,954,034 times
My boy is 11. He does not dress appropriately for the weather. Shorts and a t shirt. Will do long sleeves sometimes. We are in Boston - it gets cold here. He walks to school on some days . He's always hated the bulky clothing.

It's too big of a fight every day to get him to dress appropriately. Our trick is to tell the school that he is not allowed outside to play if he is not dressed appropriately. That works sometimes.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

815 posts, read 387,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I think the point is more, that there is a fuzzy line between kids who should still have their parents helping them dress appropriately for the weather, making them put on a coat if the parent deems it called for, and "kids"/teens who should be learning to make wise choices for themselves. Through trial and error, if necessary.

I'm sure no one is saying that mothers should send their little kids out into the cold without a coat or whatever. When you get to the mid-teen years, though, you should be past the stage of "Put on a coat or I won't let you out of the house!" My conviction is that parents of normally-developing kids this age should suggest, advise, but not force that type of issue.

For example, I advised my daughter that a certain garment she had on was out of dress code for her school. She shrugged me off, but she was reprimanded at school that day and sent home to change. And, she made better clothing choices in the future. I never had to nag her again, which would NOT have been the case if I, instead of the school, had forced her to change that time. She would have just pushed the line with me again and again.

"What kind of mother lets her child wear clothing to school that she knows is out of dress code?" The kind that doesn't want it to happen again, that's what kind.

I see the winter wear as the same type of thing. If the teen becomes miserably cold, s/he will make better clothing choices next time. If s/he really doesn't mind the cold, then the parent needs to accept that, too. My sister in Spokane made her young son bundle up in the snowy winters. When he turned 15 or 16, he decided that he only wanted to wear shorts so she let it go. Guess what, he's now 18 and still alive and well and wearing shorts in the snow.
I agree with you so so much. There comes a point where mom insisting is not the best battle to fight. Older kids learn by facing the consequences of their very own decisions. Get cold, next time you grab a coat.

My oldest is a good hockey player. He spends a lot of free time in an ice rink. The kid is NEVER cold. In fact, he loves the cold. He will, however, stop wearing shorts to school when the temp stays at 40ish for a bit. He never grabs a coat though. A sweater or a quarter zip or a hoodie? Sure. A coat? If we are skiing.

I have a 7 year old and he still just wears what I tell him too and my 11 year old is actually always cold so it's not a fight, although we did compromise on a warm coat that wasn't so bulky as he hated the bulk but wanted a coat.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,473,338 times
Ahhh, the warmth all those rambunctious hormones create. They're young, they're hormonal and they're cool and hip as well.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

325 posts, read 178,188 times
Because "old people" wear coats.

Or they are told to, and it's their form of "rebellion."

If their favorite celebrities wear warm clothes, they would wear them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or