U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 01:59 PM

19,687 posts, read 12,969,542 times

Advertisements

It is a pain to wrestle heavy winter wear around, stuff it into lockers, etc.

If you are driven to school, you donít need a heavy coat to get from door of the car to doir of the school.

Surely you remember how awkward it was to stuff coats into lockers, and then get to class in time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM

1,998 posts, read 861,636 times
At my school the lockers weren't very big so most kids didn't wear more than a hoodie/light jackets. They might have bigger jackets in their vehicles (for those who could drive). I only wore a light jacket unless we were down in the negatives. I didn't wait for a bus, or even ride a bus, so I was almost never outside for more than 30 sec.

There has always been a jacket and blanket in my car since turning 16 just incase.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM

19,466 posts, read 10,493,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird83 View Post
My daughters are the same way, but I donít let them go outside unless theyíre all bundled up
I'm not the one who gets cold when my 14 year old boy wears a short sleeve shirt and refuses to wear a jacket.

I save my battles for things that matter more

Old 12-20-2018, 03:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 2,663,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They have a different internal thermostat, is all I can figure. The cold simply does not bother them. My son (age 12, so butting up against the teen years) won't even wear a sweatshirt until it's down to about 40 degrees or so, and we can forget about a proper winter coat until it's down to 20.
I agree that they have a different internal thermostat. When my middle son was in school, he rarely wore a coat to school. Once a teacher, in Fifth grade, would not allow him outside during recess because he did not bring a coat (he did have a sweatshirt and it was probably around 40 degrees). I went up the school the next day and the teacher said it would be a problem because other kids would not want to wear their coat. I said that was not my son's problem. There was no rule that he would lose recess because of no coat. Anyway--he never lost recess again, nor did he wear a coat.

I remember wearing short sleeves in the Winter months as a young girl. Geez--now, give me a couple of sweaters!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:41 PM

6,061 posts, read 6,476,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I agree that they have a different internal thermostat. When my middle son was in school, he rarely wore a coat to school. Once a teacher, in Fifth grade, would not allow him outside during recess because he did not bring a coat (he did have a sweatshirt and it was probably around 40 degrees). I went up the school the next day and the teacher said it would be a problem because other kids would not want to wear their coat. I said that was not my son's problem. There was no rule that he would lose recess because of no coat. Anyway--he never lost recess again, nor did he wear a coat.

I remember wearing short sleeves in the Winter months as a young girl. Geez--now, give me a couple of sweaters!
I had similar battles with my mom.
Sheíd ALWAYS want to send me to school in a long sleeve shirt when it was cold and Iíve always preferred short sleeves or a tank and a hoodie so we comprised by layering a long sleeve under a T-shirt 90s style.
I ALWAYS peeled the long sleeve off once I got to school tho.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 569 times
I'm not excuse-making, just sayingl it's Trending! You don't have to believe me, but I just saw a TV show last month about college-aged females doing the same thing, so the coat wouldn't 'ruin' their outfits. This was on their way to Frat-Sorority parties, clubs, and raves, in Michigan. One gal passed-out on her home door-steps, and got frost-bite on all fingers & toes, which had to be removed surgically. Now, she is re-learning how to eat with 1/2 a thumb on the one hand. It is a dangerous practice to be fashionable in extreme temps. Please be a parent, or, step=up. Tweeners, and school children are too impressionable about what their friends are doing. . . after all, it's your child, do what you will, or let them have their way. It's all cool, until someone gets hurt (freezes). Just trying to help.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:50 PM

581 posts, read 272,398 times
I don't know about everyone else's teen, but with mine it sometimes just isn't worth the fight.

She hates wearing a jacket, will not wear long sleeves, and she would live in shorts 24/7, and we live in a place where we get negative temperatures all winter long. I put my foot down about her not wearing a jacket, and she's not allowed to wear shorts anymore for this winter season, she still wears her short sleeve shirts and her shorts around the house on the weekends.

Maybe she just doesn't get as cold as we do, maybe she's just exerting her independence anyway she can. I won't let her get frostbite, but I do leave her to reap the consequences of some of her decisions regarding not dressing warm enough. The funny thing is you'd think she was born in Alaska or Minnesota the way she loves the cold, but instead she was born and raised in sunny snow-free central California for eleven years of her life. 😆

Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,162,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEaic101 View Post
I'm not excuse-making, just sayingl it's Trending! You don't have to believe me, but I just saw a TV show last month about college-aged females doing the same thing, so the coat wouldn't 'ruin' their outfits. This was on their way to Frat-Sorority parties, clubs, and raves, in Michigan. One gal passed-out on her home door-steps, and got frost-bite on all fingers & toes, which had to be removed surgically. Now, she is re-learning how to eat with 1/2 a thumb on the one hand. It is a dangerous practice to be fashionable in extreme temps. Please be a parent, or, step=up. Tweeners, and school children are too impressionable about what their friends are doing. . . after all, it's your child, do what you will, or let them have their way. It's all cool, until someone gets hurt (freezes). Just trying to help.
I think part of the issue with coeds is that few have a formal coat to wear with a nice outfit. A formal coat (thigh-length with a tie) is one the things I made sure my daughter had before she went off to college. The following year, I completed the ensemble with a beautiful black leather carry-all that could accommodate her computer and essentials, along with a pair of warm boots. She can feel like a total grunge underneath, but that coat with a pashmina scarf and a nice pair of gloves keeps her warm and makes her look like she has her **** together. She thanks me for buying them for her all the time!

I gave up trying to get my boys to wear coats around the time they entered middle school. I guess I should be grateful that we live in Denver, where you really can get away with wearing a mid-weight fleece pullover for most of the winter. Like my daughter, they each also got nice coats complements of mom, but it's rare that I see either of them in a coat. I think it's a guy thing.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-20-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 2,663,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
..., but it's rare that I see either of them in a coat. I think it's a guy thing.
I am 61 years old woman and rarely wear a coat! Maybe if I am going on a long walk. Short walk, in and out of the car, to work--no coat!

Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,162,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am 61 years old woman and rarely wear a coat! Maybe if I am going on a long walk. Short walk, in and out of the car, to work--no coat!
There might be something to that. My daughter is in college and does not have a car, so she walks or rides public transportation everywhere, which means she spends more time in the weather. They boys both drive, so they can run from heated environment to heated environment. I do nag them constantly to at least have something warm in the trunk in case of car trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or