Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 PM

384 posts, read 272,195 times

Advertisements

As teenagers, my friends and I wore nothing heavier than a hooded sweatshirt or those Starter pullover jackets. Never wore hats, gloves, or scarves. Even now, I never wear a winter coat, only a warmup jacket even when it's in the single digits or subzero temperature wise. But I do wear gloves now and on occasion a winter hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Their metabolisms are like smelting furnaces. LOL

But this subject reminds me of something I heard on the radio once...and it always makes me chuckle.

A local radio station used to have a segment called "Paranormal Tuesdays". One day, they phone interviewed this woman who claimed that whenever you see someone innapropriately dressed for the current weather. (Shorts in January, coats in July kind of thing) it's because those individuals are aliens. SHE was being serious. Whether she believed herself...I don't know. But it made me laugh then, and I still giggle about it now.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Apart from the already-mentioned desire to be fashionable, it's probably warm inside the building, and they're not spending much time outside.
So.....coats, for the walk to school and back, or for the school bus trip to school, somehow aren't doable? Coats aren't fashionable? There are some very cute coat designs out there, for teens.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-19-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A local radio station used to have a segment called "Paranormal Tuesdays". One day, they phone interviewed this woman who claimed that whenever you see someone innapropriately dressed for the current weather. (Shorts in January, coats in July kind of thing) it's because those individuals are aliens. SHE was being serious. Whether she believed herself...I don't know. But it made me laugh then, and I still giggle about it now.
This is pretty much how I felt as a kid in the 60's.

Quote:
Getting ready to go to school was like getting ready for extended deep-sea diving.
Taken from Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story".

Old 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
As teenagers, my friends and I wore nothing heavier than a hooded sweatshirt or those Starter pullover jackets. Never wore hats, gloves, or scarves. Even now, I never wear a winter coat, only a warmup jacket even when it's in the single digits or subzero temperature wise. But I do wear gloves now and on occasion a winter hat.
The question is, why?? There was a time, when mothers wouldn't let their kids out of the house without a coat in winter. It gets cold standing around, waiting for the school bus, especially if it's windy.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:07 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So.....coats, for the walk to school and back, or for the schoolbag trip to school, somehow aren't doable? Coats aren't fashionable? There are some very cute coat designs out there, for teens.

Teens do dumb things for fashion. When I was in Junior High, I thought knee socks looked stupid, so when I was out of sight of our house, I took them off and stuck them in my purse, and then my locker, until the end of the day. And then, before I got home, I put the knee socks back on.

I did this, even though sometimes, there was snow on the ground. It wasn't the smartest thing to do. LOL

Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I was a teenager during the 1980’s. I had hair past my butt that I used to curl in half-inch sections with a curling iron, bend over, fluff out, spray with half a can of Aqua net hairspray & ta-da; 2 hours later I’d be ready to go!

It was the 80’s ... big hair & all that.

Having to stuff myself into a parka & sit in the car with a seat belt over my shoulder would have squished my hair! That’s why I never wore a coat: It messed my hair up.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:55 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
So.....coats, for the walk to school and back, or for the schoolbag trip to school, somehow aren't doable? Coats aren't fashionable? There are some very cute coat designs out there, for teens.
I honestly don't know anything about coats. I've never had a winter coat and neither have my kids.

Quote:
The question is, why?? There was a time, when mothers wouldn't let their kids out of the house without a coat in winter. It gets cold standing around, waiting for the school bus, especially if it's windy.
I think the point is more, that there is a fuzzy line between kids who should still have their parents helping them dress appropriately for the weather, making them put on a coat if the parent deems it called for, and "kids"/teens who should be learning to make wise choices for themselves. Through trial and error, if necessary.

I'm sure no one is saying that mothers should send their little kids out into the cold without a coat or whatever. When you get to the mid-teen years, though, you should be past the stage of "Put on a coat or I won't let you out of the house!" My conviction is that parents of normally-developing kids this age should suggest, advise, but not force that type of issue.

For example, I advised my daughter that a certain garment she had on was out of dress code for her school. She shrugged me off, but she was reprimanded at school that day and sent home to change. And, she made better clothing choices in the future. I never had to nag her again, which would NOT have been the case if I, instead of the school, had forced her to change that time. She would have just pushed the line with me again and again.

"What kind of mother lets her child wear clothing to school that she knows is out of dress code?" The kind that doesn't want it to happen again, that's what kind.

I see the winter wear as the same type of thing. If the teen becomes miserably cold, s/he will make better clothing choices next time. If s/he really doesn't mind the cold, then the parent needs to accept that, too. My sister in Spokane made her young son bundle up in the snowy winters. When he turned 15 or 16, he decided that he only wanted to wear shorts so she let it go. Guess what, he's now 18 and still alive and well and wearing shorts in the snow.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Lol, I am up in Mammoth skiing. This morning it was 37 degrees and there were girls in bikinis and shirtless guys skiing and snowboarding. I must be gettin old ( 29) because I am decked out in about 1k dollars worth of clothing to keep me warm. 😂

Old 12-19-2018, 05:24 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Because teenagers know best.

A teenage boy would rather DIE than admit to his mother that he is cold and should have worn the jacket his mom told him to wear.

I was him once upon a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting