U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:08 AM

31 posts, read 11,459 times

Advertisements

When I take my girls to school I notice that so many other teenagers are very lightly dressed even though itís freezing outside.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:10 AM

975 posts, read 432,380 times
Well that’s easy - they’d rather look fashionable and cool, however they define it, and be uncomfortable. It’s all about priorities.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

85,433 posts, read 99,726,347 times
Back in the day, we girls had to wear skirts/dresses to school, and we walked to school in my neighborhood. Tights just came in as leg coverings when I was in my upper elementary years. Before that, it was knee socks, sometimes. When I was very little, 1st or 2nd grade, my mom insisted I wear pants under the dress, and take them off when I got to school.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

5,699 posts, read 3,499,876 times
Apart from the already-mentioned desire to be fashionable, it's probably warm inside the building, and they're not spending much time outside.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

31 posts, read 11,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Well thatís easy - theyíd rather look fashionable and cool, however they define it, and be uncomfortable. Itís all about priorities.
My daughters are the same way, but I donít let them go outside unless theyíre all bundled up

Old Today, 10:25 AM

5,082 posts, read 3,244,197 times
They have a different internal thermostat, is all I can figure. The cold simply does not bother them. My son (age 12, so butting up against the teen years) won't even wear a sweatshirt until it's down to about 40 degrees or so, and we can forget about a proper winter coat until it's down to 20.

Old Today, 10:28 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,615,913 times
Teenagers have the best immune system to fight all kind of diseases, so I guess they don’t mind if some challenges.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

156 posts, read 139,426 times
Starting in middle school they don't go outside for recess. It's hard to keep track of a coat all day if they don't use a locker. And they want to look cool. lol

My kids are both tween/teenagers. Unless we are going to be outside for an extended period with no break, I let them wear what they want.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

16,500 posts, read 9,102,375 times
I honestly don't know, but I can tell you that none of my kids ever wanted to wear a coat during their teen years. I think they just didn't like the bulk of coats and preferred to wear fleece pullovers. When they drove to school, I encouraged them to keep a warm coat, hat, and gloves in the trunk in case of car trouble, but otherwise, I didn't worry about it.

Last edited by randomparent; Today at 11:21 AM..

Old Today, 10:41 AM

11,346 posts, read 9,354,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird83 View Post
When I take my girls to school I notice that so many other teenagers are very lightly dressed even though it’s freezing outside.
For my daughter, it is because her locker is on the other side of a fairly large school from her classes. She does not want to either trek to her locker or carry a coat around with her all day. She also just does not seem to feel the cold like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or