U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:41 AM

9,698 posts, read 13,596,820 times

Advertisements

OP's post was about parents tracking college kids. You are going off into entirely different territory.
In your story above if Triple A was aware of where the elderly couple was (which assumes they had a cell phone with them) and couldn't get to them I'm not sure that a tracking device would have made a difference. I could see trackers for people with autism, schizophrenia, and dementia, but again I don't think that's really what OP was getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 01:36 PM

917 posts, read 326,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
All of us (me, my husband, my almost-18-year-old and my 15 year old) use Life360 on our phones. I don't think there's anything pathological about it. We all travel at various times to various places, often without each other, and it's reassuring to know that if something happened, my family would know the last place I was or I'd know the last place my kid was. I don't think it's really about tracking the person, more of a safety backup.

My answer would be different if mom was texting the kid saying, "Why were you at this address until 10 pm and why didn't you go straight home? What did you buy at the gas station?" That type of tracking would be over the top.
The Life360 app seems to have a voluntary mode were a child can send their location to a parent (or others) for a certian amount of time. Seems a good tool for safety.

My daughters, wife, and I use something similiar called Glympse:
https://glympse.com/

Constant tracking of an away college student, especially without their knowledge goes too far IMO.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:47 PM

6,063 posts, read 6,479,127 times
I say don’t do it.
18 is 18.
Cut the cord.
Don’t hover.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 PM

4,241 posts, read 1,914,536 times
I really don’t get it. Screw the lofty; “time to let go” sentiments. A partial list from 2018:

Jan 10, 2018 - CALIFORNIA - Body of missing UPenn student Blaze Bernstein found in California park.

Feb 6, 2018 · Knoxville, Tennessee- Body found in Tennessee lake identified as missing bible college student from Trussville; Blake Smith.

March 19, 2018. Mark Dombroski, 19, a Pennsylvania college student who disappeared following a rugby tournament in Bermuda was found dead.

Jul 29, 2018 · COLORADO- Officials believe the body of Brian Perri, a Fort Collins resident and Colorado State University student, was found in the Rocky Mountain National Park.

July 30, 2018- The body of a University of Kentucky student; TeNiya Elnora Jones, who went missing in the Mediterranean Sea during her study-abroad trip was found Monday morning.

Aug 20, 2018 · FOREST PARK, Ohio -- The search for Temitayo Afolabi, a Nigerian University of Cincinnati graduate who had been missing since Friday, ends when body found.

Aug 22, 2018 · IOWA- The weekslong search for Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old Iowa student who disappeared while jogging, body found Tuesday.

Sep 26, 2018 · HOUSTON- Body of University of Houston student An Vinh Nguyen found a year after his disappearance

Oct 11, 2018 - COLORADO - Search resumes for Ryan Albert; Rowan student missing on Longs Peak.

Oct 11, 2018 · OREGON- David Yaghmourian, ASU graduate student's body found on Mount Hood in Oregon.

Nov 1, 2018 · TEXAS- Body of missing Texas State University student; 21-year-old Kate Rose Silva Xavier
found.

Nov 27, 2018 · COLORADO- Search continues in Rocky Mountain National Park for missing Air Force academy student Micah Tice, 19.

Dec 3, 2018 · SAN FRANCISCO—The family of Gavin Cusi Octaviano, 22, is still searching for the young adult who went missing on November 23.

Dec 18, 2018 · COLORADO- The El Paso County Sheriff's Office confirmed that skeletal remains found last week are the remains of missing College Student, Kevin Rudnicki, 20.

Although they were not college students; the desperate grief of the families of the two young mothers; Shannan Watts & Kelsey Berreth, is also unforgettable.

I fully expect my 17 year old twins to do stuff I don’t approve of while in college next year. I have so far, maintained a tenuous hold on sanity during these years that their 7 older siblings managed to survive some of the really stupid stunts they have pulled along the way. I have now endured two searches for my 15 year old autistic son who wears ... a tracker. Thank God.

But there is no way I am paying for two smartphones just so they can get 300 “likes” when social media tracks them to Waffle House, or wherever. I get a piece of that too; a very small thing I CAN do; if I am ever desperately searching for my child. Call me a Helicopter; IDGAF.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM

6,063 posts, read 6,479,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I really don’t get it. Screw the lofty; “time to let go” sentiments. A partial list from 2018:

Jan 10, 2018 - CALIFORNIA - Body of missing UPenn student Blaze Bernstein found in California park.

Feb 6, 2018 · Knoxville, Tennessee- Body found in Tennessee lake identified as missing bible college student from Trussville; Blake Smith.

March 19, 2018. Mark Dombroski, 19, a Pennsylvania college student who disappeared following a rugby tournament in Bermuda was found dead.

Jul 29, 2018 · COLORADO- Officials believe the body of Brian Perri, a Fort Collins resident and Colorado State University student, was found in the Rocky Mountain National Park.

July 30, 2018- The body of a University of Kentucky student; TeNiya Elnora Jones, who went missing in the Mediterranean Sea during her study-abroad trip was found Monday morning.

Aug 20, 2018 · FOREST PARK, Ohio -- The search for Temitayo Afolabi, a Nigerian University of Cincinnati graduate who had been missing since Friday, ends when body found.

Aug 22, 2018 · IOWA- The weekslong search for Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old Iowa student who disappeared while jogging, body found Tuesday.

Sep 26, 2018 · HOUSTON- Body of University of Houston student An Vinh Nguyen found a year after his disappearance

Oct 11, 2018 - COLORADO - Search resumes for Ryan Albert; Rowan student missing on Longs Peak.

Oct 11, 2018 · OREGON- David Yaghmourian, ASU graduate student's body found on Mount Hood in Oregon.

Nov 1, 2018 · TEXAS- Body of missing Texas State University student; 21-year-old Kate Rose Silva Xavier
found.

Nov 27, 2018 · COLORADO- Search continues in Rocky Mountain National Park for missing Air Force academy student Micah Tice, 19.

Dec 3, 2018 · SAN FRANCISCO—The family of Gavin Cusi Octaviano, 22, is still searching for the young adult who went missing on November 23.

Dec 18, 2018 · COLORADO- The El Paso County Sheriff's Office confirmed that skeletal remains found last week are the remains of missing College Student, Kevin Rudnicki, 20.

Although they were not college students; the desperate grief of the families of the two young mothers; Shannan Watts & Kelsey Berreth, is also unforgettable.

I fully expect my 17 year old twins to do stuff I don’t approve of while in college next year. I have so far, maintained a tenuous hold on sanity during these years that their 7 older siblings managed to survive some of the really stupid stunts they have pulled along the way. I have now endured two searches for my 15 year old autistic son who wears ... a tracker. Thank God.

But there is no way I am paying for two smartphones just so they can get 300 “likes” when social media tracks them to Waffle House, or wherever. I get a piece of that too; a very small thing I CAN do; if I am ever desperately searching for my child. Call me a Helicopter; IDGAF.
Social media won’t give you an exact location unless they check in using Facebook or something.
Find Friends runs 24/7 and gives an exact location.
I have mine on but then again I don’t really care because even if I was up to no good I can’t be punished any longer so it’s not a concern of mine.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 PM

42,552 posts, read 50,580,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Just curious as to your thoughts.

18yo girl away at college and parents want them to leave on "find my phone" on their cellphone so they check in and locate them. Kid really doesn't like the fact parent can locate(track) them. I can understand both sides but just curious as to what parents take is on this as I'm not one. This was a convo at work. Thanks.
Are the parents paying for the phone?

Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM

9,698 posts, read 13,596,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
...snip...

Well, you could put in articles about all the non students who go missing, and argue that their families would have benefited from trackers too. I don't really feel like the remote possibility of going missing is reason for tracking the average young adult, or most any adult for that matter (excluding those I mentioned above).
As a parent would you (general you) find it reasonable to expect to wear a tracker so that your aging parents would feel more comfortable about your own whereabouts? I don't think a parent ever really stops totally worrying about their kids, no matter the age. There is always that little tiny niggle at the back of your mind when you haven't heard from a loved one in a while..

Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM

835 posts, read 610,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, you could put in articles about all the non students who go missing, and argue that their families would have benefited from trackers too. I don't really feel like the remote possibility of going missing is reason for tracking the average young adult, or most any adult for that matter (excluding those I mentioned above).
As a parent would you (general you) find it reasonable to expect to wear a tracker so that your aging parents would feel more comfortable about your own whereabouts? I don't think a parent ever really stops totally worrying about their kids, no matter the age. There is always that little tiny niggle at the back of your mind when you haven't heard from a loved one in a while..
As an adult, I'm perfectly happy to wear a tracker so my family knows where I am. No reason a college student wouldn't feel the same.

Actually, our health care "providers" will soon require us to all wear obedience collars or they won't provide insurance. My company is already pushing this as a voluntary, incentivized thing. Soon it will be mandatory. Get used to it.

Edit: actually, I would LIKE it if my company would pay for our obedience collars (rather than add insult to injury by making us pay for our own.) And I would like it if they were waterproof and shock proof. I often go surfing alone. I have a huge insurance policy and AD&D rider. If I buy the farm surfing, they'll be set for life. However, I'm always a little worried that my body might not wash up and be recovered if I die surfing. That might make getting the payout harder. A tracker (especially one with a heart rate monitor and GPS) would make sure the payout happens. Or hey, it might even save my life.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 3,230,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
As an adult, I'm perfectly happy to wear a tracker so my family knows where I am. No reason a college student wouldn't feel the same.

Actually, our health care "providers" will soon require us to all wear obedience collars or they won't provide insurance. My company is already pushing this as a voluntary, incentivized thing. Soon it will be mandatory. Get used to it.

Edit: actually, I would LIKE it if my company would pay for our obedience collars (rather than add insult to injury by making us pay for our own.) And I would like it if they were waterproof and shock proof. I often go surfing alone. I have a huge insurance policy and AD&D rider. If I buy the farm surfing, they'll be set for life. However, I'm always a little worried that my body might not wash up and be recovered if I die surfing. That might make getting the payout harder. A tracker (especially one with a heart rate monitor and GPS) would make sure the payout happens. Or hey, it might even save my life.
Uh, what?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:41 PM

89 posts, read 46,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Clarifications - It's more for in the case the parent can't get in touch with the kid( she's away at college) and/or emergency she can locate. Not tracking the kids every move. I think there's a difference.
Isn't that... why she has a cell phone? Call it.

Otherwise, what was their plan? Calling the cops to track her down every time they think there may be an emergency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pardon as I disagree with your "most assume". I choose to give greater thought to circumstances that WOULD warrant the necessity to track another person....and Health comes to mind. I don't care how much you wager in on "at "18" they are an adult". So are 60 year olds that have trackers so that family can at least be at ease . Perfect example was a snow storm we encountered a few years back. The Elder parents were driving to visit the family from another state. the car got stuck. Triple A couldn't get to them. They froze by the time the next passer by found them. Had a tracker been initialized the daughter could have alerted the authority. So do tell, how is it that at 60 its okay to inquire of the parents well being but at 18...by golly they are miraculously immune to elements or circumstances?

I do agree that most who are helicopter parents need to cease such....where I vastly disagree is that the AGE determines things....quite honestly good judgement in character and responsibility play a factor. But thats just me being reasonable and taking things on a case by case stance....
Did they have a phone? They could not use it to call 911?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting