U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:08 PM

835 posts, read 610,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Uh, what?
Watch Fahrenheit 11/9 for an example. No insurance for teachers who didn't wear a Fitbit to track their steps per day.

Barring a ruling by the courts that insurance mandated fitness trackers violate the constitutionally enshrined right to life and liberty, get ready for involuntary tracking of your every heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM

6,063 posts, read 6,479,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
As an adult, I'm perfectly happy to wear a tracker so my family knows where I am. No reason a college student wouldn't feel the same.

Actually, our health care "providers" will soon require us to all wear obedience collars or they won't provide insurance. My company is already pushing this as a voluntary, incentivized thing. Soon it will be mandatory. Get used to it.

Edit: actually, I would LIKE it if my company would pay for our obedience collars (rather than add insult to injury by making us pay for our own.) And I would like it if they were waterproof and shock proof. I often go surfing alone. I have a huge insurance policy and AD&D rider. If I buy the farm surfing, they'll be set for life. However, I'm always a little worried that my body might not wash up and be recovered if I die surfing. That might make getting the payout harder. A tracker (especially one with a heart rate monitor and GPS) would make sure the payout happens. Or hey, it might even save my life.
There’s EVERY reason a college student wouldn’t feel the same as you.
I have on find friends for my grandmother, my mom and boyfriend and my mom is literally the only person who abuses it and it notifies her if I stop sharing my location with her.

She abuses it all the time, especially if my brother and I are together because he refuses to turn it on for her.
I thought being an adult it wouldn’t bother me and it was cool while on the road they could check to see where I was any time but now being home I regret having it on.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

11,565 posts, read 9,421,061 times
I wouldn't do it. Raising kids is to scaffold their ultimate independence. If you have not done that by college, well... god help that child.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 2,904,401 times
Nope! As a parent, your job is to become obsolete.

My oldest is a college freshman. His phone is his own. My husband does watch his spending through his student credit card because he wanted to make sure he wasn't going into debt and that tells us where he has been. We also had to make sure my son was eating enough because the meal plan my son had was only $10 per day and my son would go hungry rather than ask for more money. That has all been worked out. Day to day, I don't know what my son is doing. He never has time to talk because him and his friends are always doing something. He made a 4.0 his first semester. That pretty much tells me my kid is healthy and happy. I let it go at that.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,230,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Nope! As a parent, your job is to become obsolete.

My oldest is a college freshman. His phone is his own. My husband does watch his spending through his student credit card because he wanted to make sure he wasn't going into debt and that tells us where he has been. We also had to make sure my son was eating enough because the meal plan my son had was only $10 per day and my son would go hungry rather than ask for more money. That has all been worked out. Day to day, I don't know what my son is doing. He never has time to talk because him and his friends are always doing something. He made a 4.0 his first semester. That pretty much tells me my kid is healthy and happy. I let it go at that.
While I agree that as teens grow into adulthood, you should be less needed, I would not say that it's a switch that flips as soon as they turn 18 or go off to college. The bolded in your paragraph is evidence that you also don't think that... I assume that when your son is 25, you will no longer watch his spending or keep track of what he is eating. It's a gradual process. For some very young adults, that means that mom and dad still try to ensure that the kid is returning home safely at the end of the night. Remember that some teens have had trouble with the law or with substance abuse/addiction and they might need extra parental oversight even though they have had their 18th birthday already.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

2,732 posts, read 1,191,721 times
It Sounds invasive but for security and safety reasons it’s a good idea. . If they are worried about emergencies it’s better to talk to their daughter about emergency and safety protocols and ask that she set in place how the parents can be contacted immediately.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 659,950 times
There was a missing college student a few years ago. He disappeared after leaving a bar. Reported missing by parents. He had his own cell phone but without the police help they were unable to get data from phone and police were uninterested in helping since son was a "adult". They found his body in the river in n the Spring after the ice melted less than a mile from where he was last seen at a bar that winter.

For this reason I requested and received my son's passwords and written and signed form from my son "just in case" to give me the authorization to all his private information. I don't know if it would be enough to actually get info but better than nothing. You have to have your kids trust that you won't helicopter parent them and use to constantly monitor them. I also gave my son all my info and written permission too while we were at it. Goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting