Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering: What's the general consensus for letting your kid(s) stay up on New Year's Eve nowadays? For the purpose of this discussion, assume we're talking about appropriate venues for staying up, like at home, at a family member's party, in a child-friendly restaurant, etc.
* From what age is it acceptable to let your kid stay up?
* Do you put them to bed at the stroke of midnight, or do you let them enjoy the actual *new* year?
* How do you occupy them?
* Does it make a difference if you have one child or multiple?
* If no, do you attend community events like New Year's Noon? (with simulated NYE activities held at noon)

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 11:13 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm wondering: What's the general consensus for letting your kid(s) stay up on New Year's Eve nowadays? For the purpose of this discussion, assume we're talking about appropriate venues for staying up, like at home, at a family member's party, in a child-friendly restaurant, etc.
* From what age is it acceptable to let your kid stay up?
* Do you put them to bed at the stroke of midnight, or do you let them enjoy the actual *new* year?
* How do you occupy them?
* Does it make a difference if you have one child or multiple?
* If no, do you attend community events like New Year's Noon? (with simulated NYE activities held at noon)

Discuss!
I was allowed to stay up when I could physically stay up that late.
If I couldn’t do it on my own my mom let me sleep.

I wasn’t occupied. I was told to go play or watch tv until it was time for the ball to drop.

I’ll probably do the same with my kids but I’ll want to engage and play with them and set up activities to do until the ball drops instead of sending them off to do whatever while I ignore them.

Once they get older they’ll probably want to do their own thing at home but as little little kids I’d keep them engaged.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
We allowed our kids to stay up to about 1:00 if they could stay up that long. Most of the time they fell asleep long before that. If my husband and I went out we told the babysitter they could stay up. I usually bought them a paper hat and some noisemakers and some kind of special food treat. It’s one night a year I don’t see the harm in letting them stay up. We never took them places on NYE, if we went anywhere we hired a babysitter.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
My kids stayed up for their first time 2 years ago at ages 6 and 9. We were at home. We played board games and they did regular stuff like rainbow loom and coloring... the first year was rough, but last year was easier. They go to bed right after, like 12:05am.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
When they were old enough to realize it was a "thing" we let them try. They usually fell asleep. We never got a sitter and went out on NYE, so this was always at home.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
I first stayed up when I started kindergarten. My parents framed it as: "if you're old enough to go to school, you're old enough to stay up". First time, I went to bed around 12:30. Later on, I stayed up with everyone else until the end, be it at home or at relatives' place. They occupied me by having decorate cookies for midnight dessert (a New Year thing in my family) and putting on cartoons on VHS.

Senior year of high school was my first New Year's Eve celebrated neither at home nor with relatives. It was with friends in someone's basement. For about a week beforehand, we fanned out, hit up local grocery stores, and bought lots of bottles of vanilla extract. Which contains alcohol . Then we mixed it with sparkling grape juice, to make what I call "high school champagne". Good times!

Old 12-29-2018, 06:15 PM

323 posts, read 218,751 times
Yea sure why not?! They have every right to celebrate and enjoy the holiday too. Seems kinda strict and narrow minded not to let your kid have some harmless fun. Unless crazy drinking was going on...

Old 12-29-2018, 06:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Yea sure why not?! They have every right to celebrate and enjoy the holiday too. Seems kinda strict and narrow minded not to let your kid have some harmless fun. Unless crazy drinking was going on...
Yes, of course!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 06:53 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
We always stay home or go to a neighbors house and have always let them stay up till midnight. They are tweens now, but usually they never made it past 10pm. Now they stay up till Midnight then they go to bed right after. One night up late doesn't hurt.

Till midnight they usually play games or watch movies. We're typically with the neighbors, so other kids are around to play as well.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
In years past, I've put the kids to bed at their regular times but then gotten them back up just before midnight so they can watch the Times Square ball drop (on TV) and then go back to bed. This year they're asking to stay up the whole way through 'til midnight. I suppose I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. (The kids are 12 and 10 this year.) We'll be staying at home, like we do every year; the New Year's Eve party scene holds no appeal to me whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting