U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

288 posts, read 71,133 times

Advertisements

I miss lie-ins, three days of insomnia so far, i wish i had someone to wake the kids up, make breakfast and do the school run, that extra hour would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

643 posts, read 407,182 times
Widow mom here with a very rambunctious 4 1/2 old. I miss everything!

I miss having someone to hand my daughter off to when I'm sick and need some rest or if I'm just stressed and need a break.

I miss having a partner to bounce off ideas to. I never know if what I'm doing is right and I miss having a second opinion.

I miss having someone that loves my daughter as much as me. I miss saying "isn't our girl beautiful" or "look what we made."

I miss Sunday morning blueberry pancakes and cuddling in bed just the 3 of us. I miss having a real partner that has my back. I miss help. I miss family.

Being a single parent is always exhasting, at times heartbreaking, definitely overwhelming but it's those sweet little moments in between the chaos that keeps me going.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

5,340 posts, read 3,808,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Widow mom here with a very rambunctious 4 1/2 old. I miss everything!

I miss having someone to hand my daughter off to when I'm sick and need some rest or if I'm just stressed and need a break.

I miss having a partner to bounce off ideas to. I never know if what I'm doing is right and I miss having a second opinion.

I miss having someone that loves my daughter as much as me. I miss saying "isn't our girl beautiful" or "look what we made."

I miss Sunday morning blueberry pancakes and cuddling in bed just the 3 of us. I miss having a real partner that has my back. I miss help. I miss family.

Being a single parent is always exhasting, at times heartbreaking, definitely overwhelming but it's those sweet little moments in between the chaos that keeps me going.
I'm so sorry you lost your husband. How sad. I'm sure it must be very hard at times but your little girl is very lucky to have a good mom and you sound like a great one.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

5,340 posts, read 3,808,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
I miss lie-ins, three days of insomnia so far, i wish i had someone to wake the kids up, make breakfast and do the school run, that extra hour would be amazing.
I can't imagine raising kids on my own. My two drove me bonkers at times when they were younger and not having someone to share the responsibility would have been so much harder.

Stick it out and before long when they are teenagers, you'll have to drag them out of bed and they can fix their own meals LOL.

It's funny, but when you are older and your kids are independent, you CAN'T sleep in because your body suddenly pokes you and says hey, rise and shine! "it's time to get up!"

Old Today, 02:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 3,423,519 times
I'm so sorry for those who have to do this alone. It's not just that it's so much more work on one person - it's the loss of having that partner to share the joy, too.

If there is anyone that you can ask for help, reach out! Grandparents, aunts, older cousins. It's critical to live close to helpful relatives when you're doing it alone.

My cousin raised her child on her own, but she lived close to her two sisters, her parents, and the child's two cousins. Essentially, the extended family raised the three grandchildren together, as siblings. It was hard, but it would have been much harder on her without the extended family's help.

Even if you don't have family nearby, try to build pseudo-family, with close friendships with other single parents in the same boat, with whom you can share parenting responsibilities, and fun family oriented activities.

Old Today, 03:48 PM

10,409 posts, read 6,580,620 times
I'm a single Mom, but my sons are 19 and 17, and I really can't think of anything I miss about being with their Dad. There were fears I had, about being able to do this on my own, but they've turned out to be non-issues.

In fact I think I'm a far better parent, with more to give of my attention and insight, to my kids, without my Ex demanding all of my attention like he used to do. I didn't often feel I had a partner in parenting anyhow. In some other aspects of life, sure...but not in parenting. Like he was really good at responding decisively to crisis situations. Emergencies. But I find that without him around, we have far fewer of them, and when something comes up, I can handle it just fine. (That was one thing I was not sure of my ability to do.)

No, I don't miss being in a 2-parent household, not when one of them was him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or