Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,205 times

Advertisements

Our pre school takes the kids across the street to a playground and allows them to play on the jungle gym/castle, in the snow. It’s a metal and plastic jungle gym with stairs, platforms, slides, a couple sides without safety rails, etc

It’s kind of wet and icy out now, 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. The kids are in coats, mittens, hats, snow pants and snow boots.

There’s about 2 teachers for every 12-15 kids. Would you feel comfortable letting them run up and down a jungle gym in these conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
I would feel VERY comfortable. If s/he falls and hurts themselves, then we deal with that.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Let the kids play outside. The fresh air and exercise is good for them.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,205 times
But on an icy jungle gym, wet boots, and no safety rails? Do you drive by parks and see kids on jungle gyms when it's snowing?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWG View Post
But on an icy jungle gym, wet boots, and no safety rails? Do you drive by parks and see kids on jungle gyms when it's snowing?
They go to this jungle gym often so it's familiar, regardless of safety rails. There are people watching for slips and falls just as there always are. If they happen, they can respond. Kids need to learn how to handle themselves in less than perfect conditions. Kids will learn that they need to adjust their behavior instead of relying on safety rails.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Turn 'em loose in the snow!
How in God's name did the prior generations survive all these hazards back in the day and lived to tell about it?
Fresh air, creative play, and the elements are a good thing!

Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWG View Post
Yes. I live in Milwaukee. My kids play outside on the playground every day during recess. We currently have over a foot of snow and had freezing rain a few days ago.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:40 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Our school doesn't cancel recess until the wind chill hits -15F, so there are many months of recess in the snow, ice, and snow melt. Somehow, the kids survive.

It's better for kids to learn balance on ice and snow when they are young.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Yes. Underneath the snow is the same padding (either that astroturf stuff or woodchips/sand/whatever) that is always there, right? And plus, they're wearing snowsuits... they are well-padded. If there was a thick layer of ice on the ground, I imagine the kids would not be playing on it. Wet/snowy playground equipment should be no problem. Today's modern jungle gyms are not 20 feet high without safety rails... how far could they really fall, four feet?

I'd be more concerned about frostbite if it is truly freezing out. I wouldn't want my kids playing outdoors if it was 15 below out. That sounds crazy and dangerous to me... I grew up in New England and I don't remember when recess was canceled for cold weather, but I am positive it wasn't below zero. Maybe 20 degrees or something. But my nostrils didn't freeze during recess, and that happens at around 0 degrees.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
It's great!

Probably safer with all that padding on than in summer. They're more likely to slip and fall, but less likely to get hurt. I'd only really worry about a head injury from hitting the jungle gym on the way down when falling due to climbing in mittens and snowy boots. But if they're wearing hats that would reduce the severity of most conks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting