Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM

76 posts, read 91,389 times

Advertisements

Not quite there, but real close

They are my world, sports, tutoring, studying time on weekends, trips, dinners, movie nights, college visits, more college visits, more studying, test prep, what do you do when they are almost gone?

Just wondering what ya'll did? It is rough!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
From what I've seen some parents deal with it by being in a rush to become grandparents, then take on the parenting role all over again. Some even quitting their career to become a full time caregiver to the grandchild. This doesn't bode well for their retirement. Over half the people picking up kids at my child's school are the grandparents.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Celebrate?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
our first year we:
1. cleaned the house.
2. painted inside and out.
3. "cut the cord" of TV.

some of our friends went on lots of trips,
but we do not have that kind of money to spend.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We are going to move, so they can't find us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

76 posts, read 91,389 times
Ha ha

I thought "celebrate" was going to be the thing, buy a boat, maybe a condo, travel more with the Mrs. but I have seen so much of the world with the kiddos over the years. The big stuff anyway; London, Paris, All of Ireland, cruises, DC, NYC, Cali, Italy, I don't have a huge list of places I want to go anymore.

We didn't really do without anything unless just needing more and bigger stuff is a thing..........summer vacations yearly, we had a few nice cars before just keeping the paid off ones to make sure they could attend wherever/whatever college they were accepted too, home is new and nice, emergency fund check, retirement check, by all measures we were never waiting for them to grow up so we could "live".

We volunteer, workout, have animals, I'm sure I will figure out something probably volunteer in Haiti or some other 3rd world nation. It is crazy because I knew it would be hard and was 100% mindful it would be and it's still hard.

I'm like now what?

Celebrate I'm sure I will get there.....feel like I lost my partner in crime as each one has flown off. Thank gosh we are all close still. (1 left at home)

Thanks for the input all!!

Last edited by wilsonthedog; 01-21-2019 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: mistakes

Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Celebrate?
Pretty much! We still have one rebounder here part of the time. He works in our town. He and his SO have been searching for a house to rent, but she has a dog, so it's complicating things. I will rejoice when they find what they want.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We really enjoyed the empty nest years when we were still working, and later after retirement. It sounds as if you like to be busy.

You could revisit the places you enjoyed with your kids but would like to see again. This time you and spouse can take more time and do the things that you and she want.

You could develop a skill that you have never been able to do before.

As you mentioned, you could do volunteer work. Maybe one of the local cultural institutions could use you as a volunteer.

Really, there are many possibilities. DH and I took several long trips before we retired. And we took several special trips after, as well. My advice is to travel while you are young enough to enjoy it.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We are going to move, so they can't find us.

I was going to say "Change the locks" but your solution is far more effective.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonthedog View Post
Not quite there, but real close

They are my world, sports, tutoring, studying time on weekends, trips, dinners, movie nights, college visits, more college visits, more studying, test prep, what do you do when they are almost gone?

Just wondering what ya'll did? It is rough!!
Mine is empty now, with the exception of holidays and occasional two week visits.

Grandchildren are not in the foreseeable future.

I really understand how you feel. I am still dealing with it myself. I wish they would attend grad school close to home.

I wish I could tell you more. (((HUGS)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting