U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

10,904 posts, read 3,577,324 times

Advertisements

Everyone does what's good for them and their family. I personally put my children in the next closest room when they were babies (now 12 & 10). I was able to hear them cry even without a monitor. When they cried I got up, fed them, rocked them till they fell asleep and put them back into their crib. They both slept at least 6 hours at a time when they were babies so I was lucky. I never had a problem with them sleeping. And walking a few feet to their rooms didn't bother me.

I have friends who did the co-sleeping thing and now complain how they're 5 and 6 year old's won't sleep in their own beds now, well...…….

I don't know, for me I felt it was better and safer for them to be in their own beds. I also heard about people rolling over on their child and I didn't want to have to worry about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

5,871 posts, read 3,615,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Everyone does what's good for them and their family. I personally put my children in the next closest room when they were babies (now 12 & 10). I was able to hear them cry even without a monitor. When they cried I got up, fed them, rocked them till they fell asleep and put them back into their crib. They both slept at least 6 hours at a time when they were babies so I was lucky. I never had a problem with them sleeping. And walking a few feet to their rooms didn't bother me.

I have friends who did the co-sleeping thing and now complain how they're 5 and 6 year old's won't sleep in their own beds now, well...…….

I don't know, for me I felt it was better and safer for them to be in their own beds. I also heard about people rolling over on their child and I didn't want to have to worry about that!
This exactly. Co-sleeping and room sharing was not for us. I did try it briefly with my second and third babies, but none of us was sleeping. When I moved I woke them up, and when they moved or even breathed too loud it woke me up. Also, I was not able to exclusively breast-feed so the "stay lying down and sleep while nursing" thing did not work for us. I had to get up anyway so I might as well go to the next room.

My babies were all sleeping through the night (roughly 7-8 hours) by about 14 weeks with no effort on our part and without "crying it out." It was very nice not to have to go through any painful transition of moving the baby out of our bed, into the crib... etc.

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

565 posts, read 255,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister co-sleeps because her son (3.5 years) is still breastfeeding and she likes the convenience of being able to feed him without getting up.
Gross!

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

60 posts, read 15,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Parents who aren't into boundaries love to do this; they also are usually of the "he's not misbehaving, he's expressing himself" type reaction when child draws on walls w/magic marker etc.
That is absolutely untrue. I'm a proud strict mom to a self-disciplined 14 year-old, and he co-slept with me into toddlerhood. It was attachment parenting, not permissive parenting.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

3,807 posts, read 1,363,553 times
The reason is "attachment." Check out "attachment theory."

The only downside is that once you are attached, then you (the parent) will suffer later on (but the kid will be "good").

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

875 posts, read 378,951 times
Our children sleeped in a crib in our room until about the age of 12 months. It allowed us to feed and change them in the night without having to rely on a baby monitor. The close proximity allowed us to have a warmer relation with our children.

I think that co-sleeping (as in having a child sleep in the same bed as you) is unhealthy and possibly dangerous. If you decide to co-sleep, then you should make sure that you won’t roll onto your baby. I think that it also leads to blurred boundaries. Like most child-raising decisions, it’s up to you and your partner. I would like to remind everyone that breastfeeding was taboo in the United States for a long time, and now it’s becoming more socially accepted again. What worked for us might not worked for others. Other cultures have different practices, and people should respect even if they choose not to.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,384,567 times
This is really just personal preference. It's definitely not my preference, but to each his own for sure. Just don't complain if you are completely sleep deprived as a parent when you make the choice to co-sleep

The only baby who was ever in my room at night was #3 because by that time we had a much larger home and his room was on the other side of the house tucked away in the corner. He slept in a bassinet in our room until 3 months and then we moved him to his room, with the aid of a baby monitor. The little guy loved to sleep, but he was so noisy that we had to use a sound machine to drown him out so we could try to sleep. As it turns out, he is extremely attached to me anyways and I can't imagine the hell I'd be in now if he had been sleeping with us. He is 3 now and is super comfortable to be alone in his room and always has been. I don't begrudge anyone who chooses another way to have their child sleep, just as I would hope they don't judge mine.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

5,351 posts, read 4,741,681 times
Lordy, what I would have given if my youngest would have been able to sleep in her own bed. Getting that child to sleep was like a full time job for me. It took me HOURS to get her to sleep, then she would get up and wake me up and end up in bed with me anyway. Then was horrible the next day. If i just put her in my bed, she went to sleep at a normal time and slept through the night (both of us). and we had a much better day. I worked on this for years.

Now she is 18 and doesn't still sleep with me. She has ADD, an anxiety disorder and I'd bet good money she has a sleep disorder also.

I would never judge anyone based on where or how their child sleeps. if you went through what I went through, you wouldn't either.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

733 posts, read 266,600 times
Sharing a bed didnít work for us. I tried when my daughter was a newborn. None of us got any sleep. She seemed to think that company meant ďparty time!Ē lol. She slept in a bassinet in our room for the first couple of months, then a crib in her own room. We had a small condo, so she wasnít far away and Iím a light sleeper anyway. She, on the other hand, has always been a great sleeper.

I had various friends who did bed-sharing. Some loved it. The ones I never understood, though, were the moms who complained that they hadnít had a decent nightís sleep since their kid was born. And their now six year old would freak out if they suggested it was time for their own bed. Parents matter, too. But some love the mommy martyr role.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

7,069 posts, read 4,399,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzeltwist View Post
It worked for me when my son was little. I never had to get out of bed to nurse him at night, so I was never exhausted during the day. Cosleeping is also good for the mother-baby attachment, so many parents who value attachment parenting cosleep.

My son is now 14, is very independent and doing great. Do you have any children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Good lord...not at all. Its natural for babies to sleep with their parents. If it doesn't work for the family, cool. If they choose not to, fine. But it is as natural as breast feeding, giving birth, protecting your child, wiping their noses, taking care of their elimination. There is NOTHING weird or lacking boundaries with co-sleeping. It is way more natural then a crib. But if people choose a crib because that is what works for them, that is fine too.
+1.

All five of my kids co-slept from birth by choice. Currently co-sleeping with our soon-to-be 12 mo old. It worked/works great for us. Oh, and all of the big kids transitioned to their bedroom without any sleep or bedtime issues. I've never had to deal with bedtime problems. They developed a secure attachment and independence. Love the closeness and extra cuddles. They're not little for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or