U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 4,399,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
This is really just personal preference. It's definitely not my preference, but to each his own for sure. Just don't complain if you are completely sleep deprived as a parent when you make the choice to co-sleep :p

The only baby who was ever in my room at night was #3 because by that time we had a much larger home and his room was on the other side of the house tucked away in the corner. He slept in a bassinet in our room until 3 months and then we moved him to his room, with the aid of a baby monitor. The little guy loved to sleep, but he was so noisy that we had to use a sound machine to drown him out so we could try to sleep. As it turns out, he is extremely attached to me anyways and I can't imagine the hell I'd be in now if he had been sleeping with us. He is 3 now and is super comfortable to be alone in his room and always has been. I don't begrudge anyone who chooses another way to have their child sleep, just as I would hope they don't judge mine.
Yeah...most of those I know that choose to co-sleep do it so everyone gets some sleep. The last time I was truly sleep deprived post-baby was during the first year of my second daughter's birth...12 years ago. But that had nothing to do with co-sleeping. Keeping her with me is what actually allowed me to get what little sleep I did get. She was high needs with GER and, as we came to suspect (and later diagnosed), she has ASD and SPD. All likely factors to her sleep patterns and overall temperament as a baby (extremely sensitive).

I had three kids after her and got pretty good sleep with them by co-sleeping. Even with night nursing. They stirred, I relatched, and went right back to sleep. Easy peasy. Though I did have to get up every 3-4 hours for a period of time when I pumped, but that would have been the case even if I didn't co-sleep.

Once my kids were sleeping long stretches, even with me/us, sleep was fantastic. And they transitioned without any hubbub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

13,463 posts, read 12,140,602 times
I know of a 15 year old boy who “co-sleeps” in his mom’s bed while the husband sleeps elsewhere. That’s weird.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 4,399,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The reason is "attachment." Check out "attachment theory."

The only downside is that once you are attached, then you (the parent) will suffer later on (but the kid will be "good").
Lol. I'm curious to know in what ways my mother suffered. Since she practiced AP (before there was ever an official "AP") with me and my sister, and I've practiced it with all five of my kids.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

4,619 posts, read 1,960,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister co-sleeps because her son (3.5 years) is still breastfeeding and she likes the convenience of being able to feed him without getting up. They also have three cats and a dog that all sleep in their bed, so I guess she and her husband have learned to sleep through minor disturbances.
She feeding a almost 4 yr old in the middle of the night????

Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

6,249 posts, read 3,487,871 times
Here's what the American Association of Pediatrics has to say: "Share a bedroom with parents, but not the same sleeping surface, preferably until the baby turns 1 but at least for the first six months."

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...inst-sids.aspx

Old Today, 05:10 AM

2,443 posts, read 1,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can someone explain co-sleeping to me? I have a friend who is CONSTANTLY complaining that she can't sleep at night because her 18-month-old keeps doing this, that, and the other thing to keep her awake or wake her up; I think the husband sleeps elsewhere. Whatever happened to putting a baby to bed for the night (with feedings) in its own crib in its own room at birth or certainly by this age? Seems crazy to me!

Also not great for the marriage.
I slept with my mom up till I was a teenager. Then she kicked me out of the bed for being too big. I moved away at 18 and never went back home so I think I am not damaged by sleeping with my mom. My mom, on the other hand, got kicked several times.

My only child doesn't want to fall asleep alone so we purchased a trundle-style bed. That keeps everyone separate. As a result, we are all so use to sleeping alone AND sleep so much better. As far as I can tell, no problems in the marriage.

Old Today, 06:09 AM

2,247 posts, read 844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I know of a 15 year old boy who “co-sleeps” in his mom’s bed while the husband sleeps elsewhere. That’s weird.

That is sick. Really sick.

Old Today, 06:12 AM

2,247 posts, read 844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She feeding a almost 4 yr old in the middle of the night????

Also sick. Very sick.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

7,343 posts, read 8,524,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister co-sleeps because her son (3.5 years) is still breastfeeding and she likes the convenience of being able to feed him without getting up. They also have three cats and a dog that all sleep in their bed, so I guess she and her husband have learned to sleep through minor disturbances.
That kid won't have a complex growing up. Let the playground beatings begin when he goes to school.

Old Today, 06:31 AM

7,343 posts, read 8,524,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'd consider calling CPS. That's warped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or