U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 PM

5,409 posts, read 2,447,115 times

Advertisements

Guidance, consistency and some moments of firm directives. Yup, More the friend style parent.
The moment they were born they carried every right I did. So why treat them less then or not equal too.
Sure they deserved protection and some moments of standards to be accorded.

My Husband would say,,,, you are being too lenient. In which I'd say Tis better to go with the wind then fight it. Both boys had what worked in guiding them. I'm sure though my sons would tell a different tale. They both often share some "moments" that did question my parenting style.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,383,730 times
It sounds like you are a good parent. A good parent has boundaries and teaches their children how to identify their own boundaries. That is only half the battle. How you communicate those boundaries and enforce them is equally important and contains skills that need to be taught.

I don't have rules such as not speaking unless you have something nice to say.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM

11,632 posts, read 20,045,541 times
I think a parent plays many roles in a child's life. There are times to be an authority figure. There are times to be a friend. There are times to be a consoler. There are times to be a teacher. You need to be all of these things when you are raising your children. You cannot simply pick one.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

11,132 posts, read 5,396,573 times
I ruled the roost when they were younger, I’m friends with them now.

Old Today, 11:28 AM

4,602 posts, read 1,881,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This is pretty much how I approached it, except for the last bit maybe. I don't think I actually waited for the kids to be gone before adding friendship as a part of our relationships. I think that started happening around their late teens and we switched from 'taking kids' places to going to things with them. Mine are in their late twenties now and we have good relationships, enjoy being with each other and doing things together.

Right. I didn't mean to imply as much. I've always taken my children seriously as individuals, which means I've tried to be someone with whom they could talk. So in that sense, yes, friendship has always been there. But the functioning needs of the household--not to mention helping them understand their role in it--means that someone ultimately has to be in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or