U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 263 times

Advertisements

I am 16. My parents and I have not been getting along. They are emotionally abuse and I don't feel comfortable at home anymore. I am working through getting emancipated right now and I had a phone that I bought with my own money and was paying for myself, my parents didn't know I had it. When they found out about it they took it away. I was wondering if this is legal? Do I own that or are they allowed to take it because I am a minor and not emancipated yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 AM

5,129 posts, read 7,385,305 times
That is a really good question. I would suggest asking someone familiar with your laws in your area.

That said, at 16, you are going to butt heads with your parents. It’s to be expected. Have you tried having a serious talk with them? I’m sorry you’re going through trying times with them.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 AM

93 posts, read 45,726 times
If your in the process of being emancipated, I imagine that you have a lawyer. Ask your lawyer. Is it a phone that you bought with money that you earned yourself? Keep proof of purchase and all the bills that you paid and show that to your lawyer or who is working with you for the emancipation, they would be the ones who can help you with that. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:07 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,941,643 times
I think yes...your parents are allowed to take your phone.
They are responsible for you, and can do what they feel is in your best interests...whether you agree with it or not.
Most 16 year olds don't always agree with the way their parents control them...but it is what it is...a few more years and you can do whatever and whenever you want.
Just concentrate on your schoolin so when you graduate you can go on to do just that....good luck.

Old Today, 03:23 AM

9,821 posts, read 13,714,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think yes...your parents are allowed to take your phone.
They are responsible for you, and can do what they feel is in your best interests...whether you agree with it or not.
Most 16 year olds don't always agree with the way their parents control them...but it is what it is...a few more years and you can do whatever and whenever you want.
Just concentrate on your schoolin so when you graduate you can go on to do just that....good luck.
If s/he isn't emancipated the parents can make it difficult to get a higher education by refusing to cooperate on FAFSA. I worked with a high school age kid whose parents weren't around (one deceased and one deserted) and it was a major challenge for them to get any financial aid and admission to university. If OP's situation is dire then pursuing emancipation might be the better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or