U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 3,129,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This study didn't seem to take into account mothers who are educated but choose, while the children are little to stay home to raise them.

The question is not comparing working mothers to mothers on welfare and not working, I think everyone can guess that children raised in poverty will not be as successful as children raised in financially secure homes.

I'd like to see a comparison between upper middle class homes containing both parents, with good schools, with mothers who choose to work outside the home although there isn't a financial need, vs. mothers who choose to stay home and state they enjoy the process while the children are little.

THAT's where you'll get the question answered of the impact of a stay at home vs. mom who puts the child in non family care full time.

Interesting, anyway.

They did. Did you read the article? It’s addressed very clearly in the link I posted. Even when controlling for mother’s education level, the results are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM

8,025 posts, read 3,178,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
They did. Did you read the article? It’s addressed very clearly in the link I posted. Even when controlling for mother’s education level, the results are the same.
I did read the article, quite carefully.

What I saw, was that when mother's education level was equal, daughters of mothers who worked grew up to be women who was more likely to work, and when both daughters of SAHM and WOHM worked, the daughters of WOHM worked longer hours.

That doesn't sound like happiness or success to me. That sounds like following in what you've seen done.

Just as children of single, never married mothers are likely to be single mothers themselves and not see the value of a male partner.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM

3,787 posts, read 1,518,068 times
This is 2019. It astounds me that people still hold this ridiculous mentality that working will be detrimental to the kid's happiness. To me, both parents pursuing ambitious careers (to the extent possible) is the only sensible option.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM

954 posts, read 597,813 times
First world problems.

One would think Harvard has more impactful studies on which to spend their research monies on.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:49 PM

7,687 posts, read 2,888,564 times
Many parents stay home due to the cost of daycare, not because they think it's better.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM

2,848 posts, read 3,129,875 times
Well, it only took a few posts for someone to claim that children whose parents work outside the home experience a “myriad of childhood traumas”, that mother’s who return to work are mere “worker drones”, that their children will experience stunted or limited growth, etc....so yeah, I’d say the fact that there are still people out there who believe such inflammatory and inaccurate nonsense is a good sign that these studies ARE needed.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:51 PM

954 posts, read 597,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, it only took a few posts for someone to claim that children whose parents work outside the home experience a “myriad of childhood traumas”, that mother’s who return to work are mere “worker drones”, that their children will experience stunted or limited growth, etc....so yeah, I’d say the fact that there are still people out there who believe such inflammatory and inaccurate nonsense is a good sign that these studies ARE needed.
Not really, because studies are unlikely to change such minds. E.g: the post you quote above.

Research money shouldn’t be wasted on reassuring middle to upper middle class parents that they are making the right choice on ( Insert nonesensical child-rearing concern here). There are so many of these nonessential studies now that i have to wonder if we have found the cures for all the worlds ills and have nothing better to do.

The truth is that if one has a CHOICE about whether to work or stay at home they are one pampered individual and should be very fulfilled by that fact. Otherwise, she could get out of her own head and find something more substantial to do with all the extra time spent justifying and worrying about her choices....maybe volunteering at a soup kitchen or animal shelter- and while she’s there noticing the people who work there for very little because they HAVE to.

The only people that fret over such things are the ones that are privileged enough to have the time to. Most others have no choice in the matter. Its either find work or watch their children starve. Pretty easy, guilt-free parenting decision there.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:30 PM

170 posts, read 218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
This is 2019. It astounds me that people still hold this ridiculous mentality that working will be detrimental to the kid's happiness. To me, both parents pursuing ambitious careers (to the extent possible) is the only sensible option.
Agreed. Do what is best for you, your child/ren, and your family. If others have a problem with it, they are clearly projecting their own insecurities.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:24 PM

8,759 posts, read 4,979,517 times
Has anyone conducted studies on the kids of working fathers? Why does this keep coming back to mothers? Eh, maybe the next generation won’t feel like their choice to support their children needs to be validated.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 PM

8,025 posts, read 3,178,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Has anyone conducted studies on the kids of working fathers? Why does this keep coming back to mothers? Eh, maybe the next generation won’t feel like their choice to support their children needs to be validated.
Well, fathers don't typically raise children, and that goes for human mammals and all other mammals. Mammals are raised by their mothers.

It seems to me that many terrific mothers don't stay home simply for the benefits to their children - they stay with them because they truly enjoy that time, and get such pleasure from raising their children.

So. I don't know for sure that my 3 adult sons benefited from me staying home and raising them, enjoying it so very much, but I can tell you it was the best time of my life and I tell them that with some frequency.

My 3 adults sons have zero doubt that they are and were the greatest delight to me, and I treasure the memory of raising them. And watching them take their first steps, and saying their first words, and the other very very wonderful stuff I was able to be there for.

So that's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or