Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
ORS 109.640 (2) A minor 15 years of age or older may give consent, without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor, to:

(a) Hospital care, medical or surgical diagnosis or treatment by a physician licensed by the Oregon Medical Board or a naturopathic physician licensed under ORS chapter 685, and dental or surgical diagnosis or treatment by a dentist licensed by the Oregon Board of Dentistry, except as provided by ORS 109.660.

(b) Diagnosis or treatment by a physician assistant who is licensed under ORS 677.505 to 677.525 and who is acting pursuant to a practice agreement as defined in ORS 677.495.

(c) Diagnosis and treatment by a nurse practitioner who is licensed by the Oregon State Board of Nursing under ORS 678.375 and who is acting within the scope of practice for a nurse practitioner.

(d) Except when the minor is obtaining contact lenses for the first time, diagnosis and treatment by an optometrist who is licensed by the Oregon Board of Optometry under ORS 683.010 to 683.340 and who is acting within the scope of practice for an optometrist. [1971 c.381 §1; 2005 c.471 §7; 2010 c.91 §1; 2014 c.45 §11; 2017 c.356 §4]
That is good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I didn't say that such a study needs to, has to or even should be; done. I just said it hadn't been done & yes; I know that it won't be done.

Legally, in the US; Epidemiology alone cannot prove a lack of causal association. Meaning that despite all the hollering; until a saline-placebo, non-self controlled study has been done?

Nobody can prove that vaccines don't cause Autism. I didn't make those rules but I can play by them.

I believe that the poster is both an attorney & a parent & he also said he believed that "vaccinated vs unvaccinated" (epidemiology) was "sufficient". Is he basing what is sufficient on the anecdotal evidence that his kids have never had an adverse vaccine reaction? Because that is not a science-based belief.

But I'm not anti-vaccine. It seems that the majority of the population tolerates vaccines just fine & I have no reason to want to deprive them of that awesome advantage. Unfortunately, as an ASD adult with a severely autistic son & a little girl who died within 12 hours of receiving a vaccine ... I just don't think I'm one of them. Given that there are so many like me (but still a minority); allowing minors to make their own choices in the matter is a horrible idea. There is work to be done.

I think that obviously points to a multifactorial genetic component & I think we are getting close to figuring out what that is but whatever it is: It IS being exacerbated by vaccines. It's not as simple as pointing a finger at one factor & saying "It's all your fault!"

It's also not as simple as saying "Autism is all your fault!"

The same neuroinflammatory markers seen in the brains of people with Autism ... have been seen in brains of people with Schizophrenia & Alzheimers. And MS & Parkinsons.
OK, then know the reason such a study won't be done is ethics. The unvaccinated get diagnosed with autism at the same rate as the vaccinated. That's how we know vaccines don't cause autism.

Please take up your disagreements with another poster with that poster, not me.

And I know you're not anti-vaccine and did not say you were.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I didn't say that such a study needs to, has to or even should be; done. I just said it hadn't been done & yes; I know that it won't be done.

Legally, in the US; Epidemiology alone cannot prove a lack of causal association. Meaning that despite all the hollering; until a saline-placebo, non-self controlled study has been done?

Nobody can prove that vaccines don't cause Autism. I didn't make those rules but I can play by them.

I believe that the poster is both an attorney & a parent & he also said he believed that "vaccinated vs unvaccinated" (epidemiology) was "sufficient". Is he basing what is sufficient on the anecdotal evidence that his kids have never had an adverse vaccine reaction? Because that is not a science-based belief.

But I'm not anti-vaccine. It seems that the majority of the population tolerates vaccines just fine & I have no reason to want to deprive them of that awesome advantage. Unfortunately, as an ASD adult with a severely autistic son & a little girl who died within 12 hours of receiving a vaccine ... I just don't think I'm one of them. Given that there are so many like me (but still a minority); allowing minors to make their own choices in the matter is a horrible idea. There is work to be done.

I think that obviously points to a multifactorial genetic component & I think we are getting close to figuring out what that is but whatever it is: It IS being exacerbated by vaccines. It's not as simple as pointing a finger at one factor & saying "It's all your fault!"

The same neuroinflammatory markers seen in the brains of people with Autism ... have been seen in brains of people with Schizophrenia & Alzheimers. And MS & Parkinsons.
Please explain why studies comparing the rate of ASD between vaccinated and unvaccinated children are invalid.

The hypothesis that your example above would lead me to explore is whether there is a connection between ASD and genetics.

There are more than a dozen scientifically valid studies that show there is no connection between vaccinations and ASD. Yes, "there is work to be done" discovering the cause of ASD, methods of prevention, and therapeutic treatment. The abundant scientific research shows though that its time to accept that the hypothesis that vaccines cause or exascerbate autism has been shown to be false.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
New vaccines are being developed all the time. I really wish some of them had been available when I was a kid. Mumps took away my ability to have children. Chickenpox made me horribly sick as a child, then came back on me as an agonizing case of shingles when I was in my 40s. I still have never been vaccinated for hepatitis A and B. I should probably take care of that.

Children are filthy little pest holes with no sense of hygiene. If they are around it, they will catch it.
How do you know mumps made you sterile? I'm reading it's rare. I'm asking an honest question.

I not only had chicken pox, I've also had shingles on my eye lids and lashes. I have yet to have the vaccine because of side effects.

My daughter did not have the chicken pox vac in the 90's because it was new. We didn't know a whole lot back then, surely we didn't know chicken pox causes shingles. Then again, not everyone that gets chicken pox gets shingles and the shingles vaccine does not stop shingles in everyone, it's one in 35 or so people if I remember right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For anyone worried about autism, please realize that autism is not the end of the world.

https://www.findingcoopersvoice.com/...-of-the-world/
Tell that to my friends now 25 year old son who has to have a conversation about it with the love of his life. He's afraid she sees he's different.

He can't hold a job. Gets angry easy. Has always been very irresponsible. I can't count how many cars he's crashed

Quote:

So sorry for your loss.

As for my family, there is no autism in anyone except my nephew. I agree, I don't think they can say vaccines don't cause autism; especially while we load kids full of vaccines so young. Stagger the vaccines more, that would make me happy. My own daughters were staggered. I always wonder if that's why she didn't end up with autism when the other 2 who did them on time did.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-16-2019 at 02:46 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How do you know mumps made you sterile? I'm reading it's rare. I'm asking an honest question.

I not only had chicken pox, I've also had shingles on my eye lids and lashes. I have yet to have the vaccine because of side effects.

My daughter did not have the chicken pox vac in the 90's because it was new. We didn't know a whole lot back then, surely we didn't know chicken pox causes shingles. Then again, not everyone that gets chicken pox gets shingles and the shingles vaccine does not stop shingles in everyone, it's one in 35 or so people if I remember right.

Tell that to my friends now 25 year old son who has to have a conversation about it with the love of his life. He's afraid she sees he's different.

He can't hold a job. Gets angry easy. Has always been very irresponsible. I can't count how many cars he's crashed

So sorry for your loss.

As for my family, there is no autism in anyone except my nephew. I agree, I don't think they can say vaccines don't cause autism; especially while we load kids full of vaccines so young. Stagger the vaccines more, that would make me happy. My own daughters were staggered. I always wonder if that's why she didn't end up with autism when the other 2 who did them on time did.
So, here we have it. A rejection of countless sound scientific studies which find no correlation between vaccines and autism. An issue which has literally been studied practically to death. What it boils down to is a poster *wants* to believe that there is some correlation that cannot be demonstrated. Or, the poster believes that more studies are needed. Just how many more studies would be needed are never mentioned. My perception is that if a 1000 studies were done which demonstrated no correlation between ASD and vaccination, some people would still claim otherwise.

Its more than a little frustrating.

ASD is a serious issue, but it does little good to keep pursuing something that has been demonstrated not to cause it. In fact, the time and energy could be much better spent looking at other causes.

People are entitled to their own opinion. What they shouldn't be entitled to are their own facts and that is the sad point that we now have arrived at.

Last edited by markg91359; 02-16-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:

So sorry for your loss.

The relationship between shingles and chickenpox and shingles was discovered in 1953. 1 in 3 people who have had chickenpox get shingles.
https://carrington.edu/blog/medical/...oster-vaccine/

And no, staggering vaccines does not prevent autism because vaccines don't cause autism.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So, here we have it. A rejection of countless sound scientific studies which find no correlation between vaccines and autism. An issue which has literally been studied practically to death. What it boils down to is a poster *wants* to believe that there is some correlation that cannot be demonstrated. Or, the poster believes that more studies are needed. Just how many more studies would be needed are never mentioned. My perception is that if a 1000 studies were done which demonstrated no correlation between ASD and vaccination, some people would still claim otherwise.

Its more than a little frustrating.

ASD is a serious issue, but it does little good to keep pursuing something that has been demonstrated not to cause it. In fact, the time and energy could be much better spent looking at other causes.
Since you're singling me out... The way I feel is that yes, more studies are needed; more studies including my nephew's parents and my friend and her husband. No one spoke to either of them. I'm sure no one spoke to anyone posting in this thread that has a child with autism. The studies need to include everyone not just who they pick and choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
People are entitled to their own opinion. What they shouldn't be entitled to are their own facts and that is the sad point that we now have arrived at.

You're right, I'm entitled to my own opinion and everything I said is just that. My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The relationship between shingles and chickenpox and shingles was discovered in 1953. 1 in 3 people who have had chickenpox get shingles.
https://carrington.edu/blog/medical/...oster-vaccine/

And no, staggering vaccines does not prevent autism because vaccines don't cause autism.
My daughters doctor never mentioned shingles and chicken pox and if she had I may have given the vaccine. We didn't have information at our finger tips back in 1995 like we have now.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-16-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Since you're singling me out... The way I feel is that yes, more studies are needed; more studies including my nephew's parents and my friend and her husband. No one spoke to either of them. I'm sure no one spoke to anyone posting in this thread that has a child with autism. The studies need to include everyone not just who they pick and choose.

You're right, I'm entitled to my own opinion and everything I said is just that. My opinion.

My daughters doctor never mentioned shingles and chicken pox and if she had I may have given the vaccine. We didn't have information at our finger tips back in 1995 like we have now.
Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions. Lots of "entitlement" around here. No one is entitled to their own facts.

You do understand a "study" can't include every single person with a condition, no? You also understand that a "vaccinated vs unvaccinated" study is not possible, ethically, no? What studies have been done, and there are lots, are retrospective, IOW, looking back at records of vaxed vs unvaxed and it has been found that the unvaccinated get autism at the same rate as the vaccinated. I also think you don't understand how "subjects" for studies get chosen/

A discussion of shingles from chickenpox disease is on the VIS. I couldn't find a 1995 VIS, but IIRC, it was on there, too. Your daughter could still get the varicella vaccine if she hasn't had the disease.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...varicella.html

Old 02-16-2019, 10:58 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
One of the best changes in public health policy, was in allowing underage girls to have access to various birth-control methods, without the knowledge of their parents. The concept behind this, is that young people have the right to decide their own destiny and are not to be considered as the property of their parents. Not to be managed as though they were pets or livestock.
It seems to me that if they are allowed to seek birth control on their own, they should be allowed to get vaccines after about age 15. But I am unclear how that would happen unless vaccine clinics were routinely set up and publicized. I know we have some sort of clinic setup now in WA due to the outbreak.

It looks as if the outbreak here has passed its peak. I understand there are some other outbreaks around the country now.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:13 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It seems to me that if they are allowed to seek birth control on their own, they should be allowed to get vaccines after about age 15. But I am unclear how that would happen unless vaccine clinics were routinely set up and publicized. I know we have some sort of clinic setup now in WA due to the outbreak.

It looks as if the outbreak here has passed its peak. I understand there are some other outbreaks around the country now.
One little epidemic and the vaccination rate jumped 500%. Maybe parents don't really want their kids to get sick and die.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:

<snip>

So sorry for your loss.

The fact that your nephew is different does not make him less.

However, he may need help to manage his differences. Did he have help as a child? If not, perhaps he needs to seek out help now.

What kind of jobs has he tried? Perhaps he needs a different kind of job that will accommodate some of his differences. What does he want to do with his life? Perhaps the love of his life can motivate him to change what he needs to change.

Vaccines do not cause autism. If they did you would see that vaccinated children would have higher rates than those who are not vaccinated. This does not happen.

The research is very clear.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/d...cause-autism#1

Quote:
the CDC compared groups of children who received vaccines on the recommended schedule and those whose vaccines were delayed or didn’t get them at all. There was no difference in the autism rate between the two groups.
Quote:
In 2004, the Immunization Safety Review Committee of the Institute of Medicine published a report on the topic. The group looked at all the studies on vaccines and autism, both published and unpublished. It released a 200-page report stating there was no evidence to support a link between vaccines and autism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting