Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

https://www.fatherly.com/health-scie...-to-get-shots/

I feel so bad for these kids!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Sounds like one of the kids DID get the MMR vaccine when he was little. He said he hadn't gotten shots since grade school.

How many more shots would he need? Maybe a chicken pox vaccine...maybe a PPV vaccine?

Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sounds like one of the kids DID get the MMR vaccine when he was little. He said he hadn't gotten shots since grade school.

How many more shots would he need? Maybe a chicken pox vaccine...maybe a PPV vaccine?
Boosters, tetanus, college will require one for meningitis.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I feel badly for them, too. Especially if they contract meningitis because their parents refused to get them the vaccine.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I do feel bad for the kids. I am for vaccines. As a parent I don't like to be told what to do. I don't like when the schools or some other institution take it upon themselves to 'educate' my child in certain matters. For instance, I think one way on sex education. I don't want someone with an opposing opinion indoctrinating my child or going behind my back. Interestingly, the states have exceptions for vaccination with the HPV vaccine which is the one vaccine I don't trust. I'm ok with the others.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The law presumes parents "act in their child's best interests".

The older I get the more I'm realizing that this is often not true. I have viewed many divorce cases from a distance and what I repeatedly observe is that many, perhaps a majority of parents, treat their children primarily as pawns to achieve their own ends. There are exceptions and many parents do do the right thing even when conflicted with the many emotions that are present in a divorce case. But, it seems to me to be the minority that really do.

I have seen all of the following:

1. Parents who fight for child support and than use it primarily for their own needs when it is awarded.
2. Parents who put off taking their sick child to a doctor because they don't want to make the co-payment that their health insurance requires.
3. Parents who refuse to intervene when their child is being bullied or even abused because they "don't want to make waves" or feel "it will help the child build character".
4. Parents who deny visitation to an ex-spouse not because of a real issue, but because they want to drive the ex-spouse out of their life and out of the life of their child.

This is just the latest variation of it: Refuse to properly educate yourself about the effectiveness of a vaccine and than refuse to give consent for your child to take it.

I am not yet ready to hand this decision process over to the state. However, I am not impressed with what I see from many parents and--at some point--the child and the rest of us in society have some rights too. While parental rights may be important, they are not absolute.

I personally think vaccination laws that have an "out" based on nothing more than "personal feelings" ought to be repealed.

I think a parent that acts like this ought to be ostracized by those around him/her until they get the message.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post

O.M.G.

Kids are brighter and up on community health issues more than some parents. I feel for him too. What a
sad position for the kids to be in...

Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
The law should allow kids who want vaccines to get them without parental permission. The right to defend one's body should come before the opinion of someone who happens to share your DNA.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Boosters, tetanus, college will require one for meningitis.

OK, fair. However, the fear of autism comes from MMR shots as babies and toddlers. It seemed like the article was focusing on the autism slant.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OK, fair. However, the fear of autism comes from MMR shots as babies and toddlers. It seemed like the article was focusing on the autism slant.
And that autism slant was debunked at least a decade ago.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism.html

https://www.publichealth.org/public-...yths-debunked/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting