U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You (or Do You) Let Teens Smoke Pot
Yes 9 16.07%
No 43 76.79%
Undecided or unsure 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 AM

500 posts, read 217,233 times

Advertisements

I voted yes.

Reason being, if I would have forbidden them to smoke marijuana, chances are they would have still done so behind my back. I told them if they wanted to try something, I would rather them do it under adult supervision and with someone who has done it in the past, who knows what to expect.

Well needless to say, 2 of them tried it. With their friends, and one is in college. The other is a senior in high school.

We were talking about the experience and both said that they rather do marijuana than drink alcohol. Which they drank with their mother.

They even went to say that they don't understand the prohibition of marijuana. Both even said that they were able to concentrate on studying/homework.

Is it a problem for them? No, senior has straight A's, in honors program. Daughter in college has the opportunity to graduate this year and has offers to work with law firms. Instead she wants to go to school for another year studying arts in Paris, which she'll be leaving for fall semester.

Marijuana does hold you back, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,360,536 times
"Let" them, no. Nobody is allowed to use drugs or cigarettes in our home at all. My husband and I don't drink... I do have red and white wine in the house that I use in recipes, that's it. I would not allow my under-21 kids to walk in with a case of beer or whatnot.

However, teens are going to experiment and I'd rather keep the atmosphere and conversation open about what they do when they are with friends so that I'm in the position to intervene if things get unsafe. I will say that my oldest (who is a legal adult now) has let me know that he's tried marijuana a few times. He also traveled overseas and was pretty tickled that he was able to legally buy beer. He said he had one and was planning on trying another type before he left the country. He knows that while having a beer with a friend is fine and that I'll turn a blind, if somewhat disapproving, eye to a few puffs on a joint while at a friend's house, he is not, under any circumstances, to get in the car with anyone who has been using/drinking. He has Uber and Lyft and it's linked to an account that always has money in it. If he needed a ride at any time of the day or night and didn't want to call me, he can use those services.

I think we do our teens a disservice when we make it a huge big deal with threats of punishments if/when they do choose to try a substance we'd rather they didn't. Personally, I'd rather know what they're up to because they feel comfortable sharing or at least know that they have a safe way to get home or to a safe location even if they don't feel comfortable sharing. I think mild discouragement is appropriate but draconian consequences or threats are not.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 AM

66 posts, read 18,326 times
LOL, bet all that I possess that at least half of those saying "No" smoked pot in school.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM

17,792 posts, read 22,847,213 times
I gave my son a cigarette at 14 …. it wasn't mine ..we were at a family gathering he asked why do people smoke??

I said I don't know it stinks to me...he asked me if I ever did I said yes I tried a cigarette at your age …. I was curious.
he asked if he could try one..... I said on one condition ….you have to take at least 5 puffs and inhale....
what happened to him also happened to me....he inhaled and nearly threw up.. I said you need to take 4 more puffs... and inhale.... he couldn't do it....so I said ...so remember this time and how it made you feel when a friend tries to get you to smoke..

he never smoked again …. same thing with me..

did the same with beer a year later with him.... he hated the flavor - he never once got in trouble drinking when in high school or college and to this day he doesn't drink beer

took the mystery right away from these substances

pot?? he wont try it after the cigarette he tried... that's what he told me....well, he said he did try it again ..once at college but hated it ...never again

Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 AM

4,031 posts, read 1,453,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
"Let" them, no. Nobody is allowed to use drugs or cigarettes in our home at all. My husband and I don't drink... I do have red and white wine in the house that I use in recipes, that's it. I would not allow my under-21 kids to walk in with a case of beer or whatnot.

However, teens are going to experiment and I'd rather keep the atmosphere and conversation open about what they do when they are with friends so that I'm in the position to intervene if things get unsafe. I will say that my oldest (who is a legal adult now) has let me know that he's tried marijuana a few times. He also traveled overseas and was pretty tickled that he was able to legally buy beer. He said he had one and was planning on trying another type before he left the country. He knows that while having a beer with a friend is fine and that I'll turn a blind, if somewhat disapproving, eye to a few puffs on a joint while at a friend's house, he is not, under any circumstances, to get in the car with anyone who has been using/drinking. He has Uber and Lyft and it's linked to an account that always has money in it. If he needed a ride at any time of the day or night and didn't want to call me, he can use those services.

I think we do our teens a disservice when we make it a huge big deal with threats of punishments if/when they do choose to try a substance we'd rather they didn't. Personally, I'd rather know what they're up to because they feel comfortable sharing or at least know that they have a safe way to get home or to a safe location even if they don't feel comfortable sharing. I think mild discouragement is appropriate but draconian consequences or threats are not.
How do you give someone access to Uber/Lyft funds that you have previously set up? I need to know this!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,360,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How do you give someone access to Uber/Lyft funds that you have previously set up? I need to know this!
It's just a PayPal account that I make sure there are funds available in. Really, my son is responsible for keeping $50+ in it but if he doesn't have it for whatever reason, I will top it up myself. I've only had to do it a few times and he hasn't had to use it in an emergency as far as I'm aware, but I feel better knowing that money is there if he does need it.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM

5,214 posts, read 6,432,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What I don't get is why schools don't put smoke detectors in their bathrooms. When I was in junior high school and high school, I regularly had to put up with nasty smoke (sometimes tobacco, sometimes weed). I mean, at the very least if you are going to smoke, at least have the human decency not to do it indoors whether other people will have to put up with it.
All the kids vape now or use edibles, so smoke detectors wouldn't do any good anyway. Very few kids still smoke anything.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 PM

1,988 posts, read 721,664 times
Let?
no.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 PM

417 posts, read 96,123 times
I don't plan on having kids. But for the record, I was a teen who was allowed to smoke weed at home. I'm glad for it, because I think it kept me out of trouble. Had I not been smoking at home, I'd have most likely been smoking in some guy's van by the river getting impregnated.

20 years later and I still smoke weed. But I'm sure I would've whether or not my family approved.

Issues like this are a huge reason I don't want kids. I'm not capable of making important choices for another human being. I really don't know what's right/wrong when it comes to raising kids.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 910,601 times
Years ago, many parents turned a blind eye when their kids started smoking cigarettes. We all know how that turned out.
I have a sneaking feeling history will repeat itself when it comes to marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting