U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You (or Do You) Let Teens Smoke Pot
Yes 9 14.75%
No 47 77.05%
Undecided or unsure 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 PM

180 posts, read 68,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My Grandson is hitting his Teen Years and One day I overheard him chatting away.

I said to him.....Well Lets see: A: No Adult in our state is allowed to smoke anything in their car with kids in it. No Adult is allowed to Drink (alcohol and drive). So given that ....do you really think I'm going to idly stand by while you ( who the law protects) suddenly partakes in that which is denied others for good reason.
Its thankfully illegal in my state, but soon to be changed so that ten years from now after more fatalities happen and more idiotic kids are driving stoned...will the state go..Oops! Guess that wasn't so good for humanity....but dang Look at our Revenue !!! WOohoo!!
Kind of what they do with alcohol and pharmaceuticals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:33 PM

16,464 posts, read 3,527,892 times
I will never let my teens smoke dope.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 PM

180 posts, read 68,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
LOL, bet all that I possess that at least half of those saying "No" smoked pot in school.
I did and I did.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM

608 posts, read 1,146,419 times
I didn't answer the survey but would like to offer my 2 cents here.

As far as "letting" a child smoke pot, ours sons never "asked" for permission. We always instilled in them that these types of decisions were theirs to make as I believe when you prohibit an activity, you drive it underground where you cannot regulate or have knowledge of it. We have always told them that "if you're going to do something stupid, be smart about it". While all 3 boys have smoked pot, it has not gotten in the way of their education, or careers.

As far as alcohol is concerned, we allowed them to have an occasional beer or drink at home to gain some experience and to "demystify" drinking. I have seen many too strict parents try to restrict pot or alcohol from their children, only to have their child go off the deep end when they went away to college (or when the parents weren't around).

This "policy" has worked for us and the boys. All 3 have completed college, 2 have masters' degrees and the older two have exceptional careers. The youngest is in the process of getting his career off the ground.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM

17,796 posts, read 22,847,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post

As far as "letting" a child smoke pot, ours sons never "asked" for permission. We always instilled in them that these types of decisions were theirs to make as I believe when you prohibit an activity, you drive it underground where you cannot regulate or have knowledge of it. We have always told them that "if you're going to do something stupid, be smart about it". While all 3 boys have smoked pot, it has not gotten in the way of their education, or careers.

As far as alcohol is concerned, we allowed them to have an occasional beer or drink at home to gain some experience and to "demystify" drinking. I have seen many too strict parents try to restrict pot or alcohol from their children, only to have their child go off the deep end when they went away to college (or when the parents weren't around).

This "policy" has worked for us and the boys. All 3 have completed college, 2 have masters' degrees and the older two have exceptional careers. The youngest is in the process of getting his career off the ground.
great post!!

I had friends that their parents were so strict with zero tolerance and when they went off to college...they went nuts.....partying.....no coping skills...and they ended up dropping out of college..

same thing happened to a few of my sons friends...

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,360,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post

Good post. I also believe that by making things like that into a Big Huge Deal, you're just making it much more attractive. Also, I think kids need to learn how to regulate these types of things. And by "kids" I mean older teens (16/17/18 year olds), not pre-teens or preschoolers, before anyone jumps all over it.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

12,029 posts, read 17,525,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have looked the other way with that kind of behavior.

It was painful, but I had chosen to look away, and still emotionally and financially supported my kids when I knew they were going a little off the rails.

I didn't know what to do, and I didn't want to lose them to depression, suicide, running away, whatever.

All's well that ends well. All 3 of my adults sons are doing great. I don't believe in tough love, don't believe in kicking sweet natured kids who are kind of off the rails out of my home. I'm SO VERY GLAD I was right.

I don't think I would have tolerated violent behavior, open disrespect, and threatening behavior. We never had any of that. Drinking, marijuana use, truancy. All graduated high school, all went to college and graduated, all are doing well.

I'm glad I looked the other way with recreational marijuana, teenage drinking parties, and school truancy.

Exhale.
You sound like a great parent.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

3,108 posts, read 1,684,120 times
Like you have a choice? LOL. Not in my house, no.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

5,249 posts, read 5,077,897 times
I am not against marijuana use.

I would not let my teen smoke it until he is of age. I am in Mass and it is legal here if you are 21.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

155 posts, read 85,967 times
No. Never. Pot is just an avenue to lower your productivity and dull your mind. No alcohol or other drugs. Nothing, while they live under our household. I just laid it out with my kids. They knew. If they got involved with that stuff they are on their own. We love my kids dearly and they know it but we have rules and guidelines. Our grown children are all happy, productive, responsible, secure members of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting