U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM

2,777 posts, read 4,030,983 times

Advertisements

I can't believe you are still putting a diaper on an 8 year old.

I wet the bed and did eventually grow out of it but now kids don't have to wet the bed. There is a device that you can snap into his/her underwear and it will buzz if it starts to get wet. It will wake your child up so they don't wet the bed. It worked great for my son at 4 years old and he was so happy not to have to wear a pull up or be embarrassed around his friends.

No child should have to deal with bed wetting at 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:01 PM

8,703 posts, read 3,387,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
Well we really lucked out. I was talking to a neighbor and they said they would love to have the boys stay the night! This is great. They are a very sweet family that we have known for several years with a couple older kids. She said her daughter was wanting to start babysitting so this would be great practice while she would be right there with her to help. I told her about the bed wetting and she said not to worry about it, it was no big deal. They would handle it. If fact she asked if they would like to come over tonight and let me and DH have a dinner date! WooHoo ��
Good that you've found sitters; but this makes your original problem even worse, IMHO.

A girl young enough to "want to start babysitting" is going to diaper your 8 year old, and they live in the neighborhood?

Really, Shelly, no. You need to find another solution, even if it's teaching him to put the diaper on himself, or get an adult depends and modify it to fit him for that evening etc.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM

41,167 posts, read 39,859,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Good that you've found sitters; but this makes your original problem even worse, IMHO.

A girl young enough to "want to start babysitting" is going to diaper your 8 year old, and they live in the neighborhood?

Really, Shelly, no. You need to find another solution, even if it's teaching him to put the diaper on himself, or get an adult depends and modify it to fit him for that evening etc.
I agree. Even if it's the mom, it's a social minefield for your son, OP.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 899,646 times
Excuse me, but your EIGHT year old still regularly wets the bed? So often that you have to keep him in diapers?

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. And it is your fault, not his. STOP PUTTING HIM IN ANY SORT OF DIAPERS AT ALL. Ever. Yes, there will be accidents. Yes, you will be changing sheets for awhile. But then he will get over it and be fine.

Diapers are like a trigger to a child, telling the child in toilet training transition that it is OK to let go and dump in the diaper. Once you start toilet training, diapers are OUT.

Eight is too old to still be wetting the bed so often that they have to be diapered at night. Lose the diapers. NOW.

How Bed Wetting Alarms Work

How to Help Your Child Stop Wetting the Bed

Old 03-02-2019, 06:14 PM

4,982 posts, read 3,394,449 times
Many boys wet the bed until puberty. It tends to be hereditary. My son was one of them, as was my uncle. You can try alarms and eating raisins, but really, it's just something they grow out of. When my son was 10 or 11, he went from wetting every night to not wetting at all, like a switch flipped. It's an inconvenient problem but not a serious problem. We simply helped him change his sheets without comment; we knew it wasn't his fault and he knew it wasn't his fault. He's an adult now and I am quite certain it did not affect him long-term, but I know he will be understanding and know how to handle it if he has a son who has the same issue.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 PM

11,976 posts, read 7,121,563 times
Quote:

This.

Most girls I know start babysitting around 12-13. I would not be comfortable with a 13-year-old girl undressing and diapering an 8-year-old boy. That just seems like an embarrassing situation for all involved, and could even lead to more problems. I was also wondering why the 8-year-old couldn't put the diaper on himself. I would even think the 4-year-old could do it himself, at least with some practice.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM

10,960 posts, read 8,009,041 times
Limit liquids a few hours before bed and be sure there's one last potty break before bed. Pull-ups should be fine. And discreet. Stop telling the world the boy wets the bed.
My son grew so fast, not all systems worked together like they should. But he grew out of it. (At 12) I was his ally. I packed for his sleepovers and hid a pull-up in his jammies so he could dress in the bathroom and no one knew. I never lost my temper cuz I'm his mom. I loved him. And he sure wasn't doing it on purpose!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 3,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I can't believe you are still putting a diaper on an 8 year old.

I wet the bed and did eventually grow out of it but now kids don't have to wet the bed. There is a device that you can snap into his/her underwear and it will buzz if it starts to get wet. It will wake your child up so they don't wet the bed. It worked great for my son at 4 years old and he was so happy not to have to wear a pull up or be embarrassed around his friends.

No child should have to deal with bed wetting at 8.
I'm glad it worked for you but we tried it on the oldest last year and both boys slept right thru it. Only people the alarm woke up was DH, baby, and myself. They never even budged.

Lots of older kids wet the bed, it's hereditary and not much you can do about it. There is a drug they can take but it has some pretty concerning side effects so we don't use it. Until they out grow it we just minimize the effects our routine and help the boys get a good night sleep.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 3,426 times
Quote:

Haha yea that would not be good, the 13 yo will only be diapering the baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree. Even if it's the mom, it's a social minefield for your son, OP.
I don't understand the social mine field? Lots of 8 yo wet the bed. The girl doesn't even go to his school, but I wouldn't be worried about it even if she did, a couple of his friends know he wets the bed, they are understanding and really could care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Excuse me, but your EIGHT year old still regularly wets the bed? So often that you have to keep him in diapers?

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. And it is your fault, not his. STOP PUTTING HIM IN ANY SORT OF DIAPERS AT ALL. Ever. Yes, there will be accidents. Yes, you will be changing sheets for awhile. But then he will get over it and be fine.

Diapers are like a trigger to a child, telling the child in toilet training transition that it is OK to let go and dump in the diaper. Once you start toilet training, diapers are OUT.

Eight is too old to still be wetting the bed so often that they have to be diapered at night. Lose the diapers. NOW.

How Bed Wetting Alarms Work

How to Help Your Child Stop Wetting the Bed
Yes he has never had a dry night, neither has his brothers. It's hereditary why is it ridiculous? They will most likely wet until 11 or so, at least that is when there dad and uncle quit. Why do you think diapers are "triggers"? They make bed wetting pants for much older kids than 8. When it's hereditary there is nothing you can do about it. There is no way to out train hereditary and development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This.

Most girls I know start babysitting around 12-13. I would not be comfortable with a 13-year-old girl undressing and diapering an 8-year-old boy. That just seems like an embarrassing situation for all involved, and could even lead to more problems. I was also wondering why the 8-year-old couldn't put the diaper on himself. I would even think the 4-year-old could do it himself, at least with some practice.
Yes she is 13, no she will not be diapering the older boys. The mom said she would take care of the older boys before they went to sleep. She said that they got along great and loved playing with daughter and when she sent the older boys to take a bath they both asked the daughter to come sit in the bathroom with them while they bathe. So I kinda doubt they would care about the diapers, but still the mom took care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Limit liquids a few hours before bed and be sure there's one last potty break before bed. Pull-ups should be fine. And discreet. Stop telling the world the boy wets the bed.
My son grew so fast, not all systems worked together like they should. But he grew out of it. (At 12) I was his ally. I packed for his sleepovers and hid a pull-up in his jammies so he could dress in the bathroom and no one knew. I never lost my temper cuz I'm his mom. I loved him. And he sure wasn't doing it on purpose!
We have tried pull ups, goodnites, underjams, you name it. My boys toss and turn so much in there sleep and sleep on there sides we have never found anything that doesn't leak other than diapers. We even tried pretapping the diapers and having them slip them on but they leaked. Gotta get them tight so they don't leak. We don't tell the whole world but it is out of there control, nothing they can do about it so no reason to be ashamed, no different than a speech impediment, or any other developmental or hereditary delay. A couple of ODS friends know and they don't care.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 PM

170 posts, read 36,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
Don't eat or drink while we're gone? what? Lol
Yeah, sure unless they are truly thirsty. Then they'll need to drink.
Wake them upon your arrival home to remind them to use the bathroom, and they can then get a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting