U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:31 PM

309 posts, read 94,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
6. I have to accept that I will forget things and things will slip. It happens. My life is highly choreographed and something as small as an unexpected trip to the store to find [whatever last minute thing one of the kids needs for a school project] can throw things into chaos.
3 kids, 2 full-time parents. I could list out a zillion tips and tricks that we use, many of which have already been listed here, all of which have bailed us out a time or two. And most of the time, we manage to get most of it done, some of it well, some not at all.

But a lot of it is gosh darn luck.

I imagine most of the previous posters don't have children with special needs which require more effort, appointments, etc. that make 2 FTW parents nearly impossible. Even without that, everything is so carefully coordinated in some households that the slightest thing can throw everything off, especially for those who don't have outside help. Have a conference call run over or a traffic delay that costs you 10 min? You no longer have time to stop by the store to get that milk, and the plumber arrived but you weren't there so they left and you have to reschedule, again. So the laundry isn't happening tonight, and of course tomorrow is picture day and your 8yo is furious...

A parent gets the flu for 2 weeks? All heck breaks loose.

I think the best way to find work-life balance is to have a really, really good sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:08 PM

11,811 posts, read 9,596,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
3 kids, 2 full-time parents. I could list out a zillion tips and tricks that we use, many of which have already been listed here, all of which have bailed us out a time or two. And most of the time, we manage to get most of it done, some of it well, some not at all.

One of the things I forgot to mention... let your kids be responsible for things that they CAN be responsible for. Not just ask them to do chores sometimes. But be responsible. Got PowerSchool? Ok, use it. ... My son got an F because he did not turn in any assignments for a while. I let him in elementary so he would learn not to do it in high school. I am not suggesting sink or swim is always appropriate. In his case, he was more than capable and just blew it off. ... Just an example.

Come pre-teen and teen, shared calendar and email. Kids MUST email for their desired engagements. But Moooom, I TOLD you I wanted to go to Jessica's house friday! Yah you could tell me that the world was ending friday. If you want me there, EMAIL ME so I can put it in the calendar....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or