U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM

1,582 posts, read 629,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^I don't understand how someone gets to the age where they've finished college but never had a job. Right there that says that something is seriously wrong.
If you mean straight out of high school to college, then some people truly focus on school and then get a job afterwards. For some reason, someone actually hires them even with zero job experience. Maybe those employers are sympathetic and want to help a young college grad start their work life.

My husband owns a small business and the only people we've hired are young people who need more job experience (to help them get their work life started). Strange to have compassion for people, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:28 PM

938 posts, read 462,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I help tutor college aged students to gain credit hours for a class they are taking. There's one student whose mom comes every time to tag along. Sometimes, the rest of her family comes along too, her dad and younger siblings. I haven't said anything yet to the student. She doesn't seem to really have any friends. From what I gather, she was home schooled. I think her mom needs to cut the cord. Her mom seems nice but that's not really the point. I remember being in collage and wanted my own independent separate from family. I can understand if she was under 18 but she's already an adult and think her mom needs to back off and let her be independent when it comes to attending events to gain credit hours for her college class.
The whole custom of parents treating their teenage sons and daughters like little kids is weird. Within living memory, 18-year-old girls often had a family of their own. When I was a kid, your mom showing up at your grade school with your lunch was a source of embarrassment. Nobody's mom followed them to junior high, let alone college!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 PM

53,543 posts, read 52,573,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I guess I can't imagine wanting to drag my other children out to waste their time and mine for another child's tutoring session. I would never consider it. My kids would've drove themselves. If for some reason I had to drive, we'd take the rest of the family to the grocery or park.

OP, I don't think you're being weird mentioning this. My college professor friends complain about parents who actually contact them when junior doesn't turn in homework or pass exams.

But, those are some crazier stories above, especially from the MightyQueen!
I am a storyteller, and the real ones are even better than fiction!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 PM

53,543 posts, read 52,573,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If you mean straight out of high school to college, then some people truly focus on school and then get a job afterwards. For some reason, someone actually hires them even with zero job experience. Maybe those employers are sympathetic and want to help a young college grad start their work life.

My husband owns a small business and the only people we've hired are young people who need more job experience (to help them get their work life started). Strange to have compassion for people, isn't it?
I wouldn't say strange. Uncommon, maybe. So your husband is an uncommon man. Bonus.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM

6,992 posts, read 4,426,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We once had a mother come with her adult daughter to a job interview where I worked. That's what comes next, I suppose.
I've heard of this, but never seen it. If an applicant showed up at my office for an interview with a parent tagging along, it'd be a pretty short interview!

Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

125 posts, read 24,137 times
Quote:
I help tutor college aged students to gain credit hours for a class they are taking. There's one student whose mom comes every time to tag along. Sometimes, the rest of her family comes along too, her dad and younger siblings. I haven't said anything yet to the student. She doesn't seem to really have any friends. From what I gather, she was home schooled. I think her mom needs to cut the cord. Her mom seems nice but that's not really the point. I remember being in collage and wanted my own independent separate from family. I can understand if she was under 18 but she's already an adult and think her mom needs to back off and let her be independent when it comes to attending events to gain credit hours for her college class.
I don't see anything wrong with this.

You are not the mom's teacher so she would wait outside or if you are nice, in the house/facility but only if you are comfortable.

Mom cannot be in the room, obviously.

This is not a group tutoring opportunity but one on one.

It may need to be relayed as such, a gentle reminder. No biggie

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

6,513 posts, read 10,786,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
What concern is it of yours how this family manages their lives? It is better that the parents are involved with their child's life than not enough. What does age 18 have to do with it? When you become 18 does it magically change things?
Yes, it does actually. According to FERPA laws, an 18 year old college student has ultimate say so over disclosure of their grades and college records. That includes to their parents.

It is possible that this girl wants her parents there and/or they are driving her and/or making sure she comes to the tutoring session. If I were you, tutor OP, I'd asked her why they are there and is this her wish since most students come alone. And are they sitting right next to her while you tutor and interjecting? That, I would definitely not allow. If they're just in the background somewhere not listening, that's different.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,998,989 times
I think you have the right to be curious about the situation. It is not the norm. I don't think it is wrong to ask the girl about the situation. If there is a bad situation, then you may be one of the few people who could change that for her. There may be a perfectly legitimate situation where mom needs to be more involved than usual. You won't know unless you ask. I don't think it is wrong to be a little bit nosy if your intentions are good and you are doing it in an effort to be helpful.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

442 posts, read 133,888 times
I don't understand why this girl's situation is unusual.

1) Either she does not drive which is not unusual for millennials.

2) Or, she does not own a car.

3) So she relies on her mom for transportation.

4) Her mother has other children to care for so they come too.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 653,880 times
Quote:
Are you a woman or man? If a man it maybe religious or other reasons that they don't wish her to be alone with a man. If you aren't a man, yeah it is unusual and probably not good for her development. I don't think you should tell her parents to back off, that needs to come from the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or