U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:50 AM

8,184 posts, read 3,070,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It is definitely weird. I know a few moms like that and they try to follow their college age children everywhere. I know of a couple of them that moved to the city where their kid went to college. It is like they don't want them to grow up.
That was almost unheard of when I was in college. Kids went off to college and the parents remained behind wherever they lived. Even my very over-protective parents did not follow me out of state to college.

Nowadays there are even parents who do their college kid's laundry and still prepare all their meals for them. I don't really care but sometimes they extend those expectations to other adults, and I am not going to do certain things for a person who is 18+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM

479 posts, read 141,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Have you considered that this student has a mild learning disability? That perhaps for any number of reasons they find it difficult to retain the information and perhaps the family member is there to help them in that regard, so when they get home they can further help them.

Unless you are a veteran teacher or a child psychologist or versed in special needs, you have absolutely no idea the dynamics behind why this situation is occurring and simply passing judgment and reporting this violation is not only short-sighted but potentially damaging. Have you considered what will happen after you file your report? What are the chances the student will stop seeing you or quit tutoring altogether? If either happens then you massively failed as a tutor.
I agree with all your posts!

Many people have spatial relations disabilities which prevent them from driving. Better that they don't drive rather cause accidents.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 AM

359 posts, read 171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
well, if the student isnít abiding by the rules of what the college policy says that family arenít allowed to stay, then of course Iím gonna say something and report her
Why do you have to jump straight to reporting her? Can't you ask her about it? Something like "I'm not sure if you're aware, but family members aren't allowed at tutoring sessions." Maybe she isn't aware that they're not allowed to be there. Yes, I'm sure it's in her 'rule book' (or some such materials) but those are often skimmed, at best.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:22 AM

169 posts, read 31,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Uhhh, creepy, makes me think of the Turpin family. Lots of similarities. Home schooled. Socially isolated. Always supervised by a parent. You know, the oldest boy took a few community college classes. His mother walked him to the classroom door, waited outside, and walked him from the classroom door.
That's what came to my mind too.

Any reasonable person would get to know the kid and find out why Mom is there. and the family.
It's not always bad but you need to inquire for the safety of your pupil.
As a society, we need to be more inquisitive

Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM

169 posts, read 31,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
You should focus on tutoring and not making judgments and sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.
Wow. Relax. This is NOT normal what she is describing, and it shouldn't be normal to you either.

She did the right thing. No one follows their children around in College, sitting there watching their tutoring session. Maybe mom doesn't know better but there is a high likelihood something is amiss here. Learning disabilities do not dictate this level of involvement. It's not her session, it is her daughters but again, there could be a very logical reason.

Good call HappyFarm34. It won't hurt she is reported, they'll just issue her a warning. She didn't commit a crime.
Keep your eye on this girl. Hopefully she won't disappear.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM

46 posts, read 5,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Why do you have to jump straight to reporting her? Can't you ask her about it? Something like "I'm not sure if you're aware, but family members aren't allowed at tutoring sessions." Maybe she isn't aware that they're not allowed to be there. Yes, I'm sure it's in her 'rule book' (or some such materials) but those are often skimmed, at best.
This. Simple and direct.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:00 PM

8,184 posts, read 3,070,298 times
Reporting her without going to talk to the parents first would be wrong. Talk to the person you have a problem with first. Then report if nothing is done. But please don't go behind their backs about this.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 PM

46 posts, read 5,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Reporting her without going to talk to the parents first would be wrong. Talk to the person you have a problem with first. Then report if nothing is done. But please don't go behind their backs about this.
I agree completely. It's not hard to think of a few legit reasons why this is happening and why it would be none of your (the OP's) business. Also I'm wondering why nobody is allowed in the tutoring room...if that's true.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 AM

13,518 posts, read 21,479,898 times
Moderator cut: warning

Thread is veering into the realm of school yard bickering, sarcasm and rudeness to each other. Stay on topic and within the TOS and guidelines of this forum

Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 202,517 times
The most perplexing thing here is why any college-age young adults would want their parents following them to college. Or coming in to college tutoring sessions. Or job interviews. Or to intervene on their behalf when they receive a grade they don't like from a professor.

Something very, very wrong happened with parents from my generation and with the later baby boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or