Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

These kids need stability, not a new man in their life. Sounds like you don't really need a new man in your life either. Good grief, put them first and stay where you are, and stop parading men through their lives for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I doubt mom will be coming back.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:04 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I doubt mom will be coming back.
Couldn't rep you but I owe you one.

The OP won't come back because 4/5ths of us thought it was a bad, silly, selfish or otherwise questionable idea.

I am ALL FOR parents moving when they need to move and to better the family. Or because the family has to move. Teenagers need to fall in line then and MOVE. Friends can be made anywhere. True friends will endure. Family first.

This woman told us a lot. She is financially insecure. She has known this man for under two years. She has not spent ONE year living in the same community as he does. They have no common friends. Background checks only show so much.

If you NEED to do a background check on someone, that says a lot.

The OP never said she was in love with him. She said it was a good thing to do.

I do not and will not EVER understand moving in with someone with children when you hardly know them. AND other children that the OP mentioned are virtual strangers.
Why subject yourself or your children to this potentially toxic and volatile situation?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I think we often tell ourselves that what is best for us, will ultimately be best for our kids. I don’t think that is necessarily true. Ask yourself, would this move be the better choice for my kids? And talk to them but more important, LISTEN to them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Couldn't rep you but I owe you one.

The OP won't come back because 4/5ths of us thought it was a bad, silly, selfish or otherwise questionable idea.

I am ALL FOR parents moving when they need to move and to better the family. Or because the family has to move. Teenagers need to fall in line then and MOVE. Friends can be made anywhere. True friends will endure. Family first.

This woman told us a lot. She is financially insecure. She has known this man for under two years. She has not spent ONE year living in the same community as he does. They have no common friends. Background checks only show so much.

If you NEED to do a background check on someone, that says a lot.

The OP never said she was in love with him. She said it was a good thing to do.

I do not and will not EVER understand moving in with someone with children when you hardly know them. AND other children that the OP mentioned are virtual strangers.
Why subject yourself or your children to this potentially toxic and volatile situation?
You know - I didn't even really think about him beyond, "This poor, gullible guy/moochee-to-be."

Why is a successful business owner with assets, disposable income, and family/friends/supportive local community investing in his home for who knows what kind of step-mother (think about it from his children's mother's perspective) and her teen-angsty daughters from several states away? A single mom who isn't financially comfortable? Why? He'd be considered a catch... why is no one local-to-him catching him? Long-distance is awful even under perfect circumstances. It's suspicious. What kind of reputation and/or issues does this guy have that he's having to look so far away and willing to swallow so many negatives for, let's be honest, a partner who's not coming to the table with much? Healthy adults - especially those with children - generally look for stability in a potential spouse, not for another dependent, much less three.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I think we often tell ourselves that what is best for us, will ultimately be best for our kids. I don’t think that is necessarily true. Ask yourself, would this move be the better choice for my kids? And talk to them but more important, LISTEN to them. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yes, it is very hard sometimes to put others before yourself. I sympathize to an extent, but I made the opposite choice to the OP. After my divorce, I dated some, and at a couple of points, I there was an opportunity to become serious and bring a man into their orbit. But I was the mom of two very sensitive girls who were upset by the divorce and their dad's choice to almost instantly marry someone else...who did not want anything to do with his kids.

They needed a lot of attention from me, so I made the choice to hold off on getting serious with any other man until they were grown and living their own lives.

Now 10 years later I'm in an empty nest living in a place where single, educated men my age are hard to come by. So I did make a sacrifice. But I have ZERO regrets. I know I did the right thing, for MY situation.

In the coming months I'm planning to move to a new area and start a new life...so who knows what might happen next!

Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I said it earlier, I think it's a good sign that he enlarged his 'nest' for his future step daughters. His actions are saying "I am transforming MY home, to make it OUR home, which includes the children." I think that's a big committment right there, and I think it shows that he is serious and using forethought.
It said he "made bedrooms" not that he added on.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I lived all over and I survived. Sure I would have liked it if I could have spent all those years in one place but that was not to be. The person who made the money got to say where we lived and my needs and wants were not even considered. In retrospect, that's fine because my parents fed, clothed, and put a roof over my head. We went where the job was.

Also with 20/20 hindsight, it was good for me. I grew up unafraid of change and capable of doing things like moving cross country or even to another country. A lot of those people I went to school with never moved more than few miles away from home. I feel sorry for them!

If you have a chance for happiness, take it.
You feel sorry for them? People that got to stay with friends and family. People that got to know their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins? For most people those are the happiest memories.( this is where people from disfunctional families like to jump in.)

If the man the OP posted about was worth a damn he would have told you to wait four years.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
You know - I didn't even really think about him beyond, "This poor, gullible guy/moochee-to-be."

Why is a successful business owner with assets, disposable income, and family/friends/supportive local community investing in his home for who knows what kind of step-mother (think about it from his children's mother's perspective) and her teen-angsty daughters from several states away? A single mom who isn't financially comfortable? Why? He'd be considered a catch... why is no one local-to-him catching him? Long-distance is awful even under perfect circumstances. It's suspicious. What kind of reputation and/or issues does this guy have that he's having to look so far away and willing to swallow so many negatives for, let's be honest, a partner who's not coming to the table with much? Healthy adults - especially those with children - generally look for stability in a potential spouse, not for another dependent, much less three.
These were my questions also. Other than the obvious, available sex, I don't see the "up side" for this man.

Except for the two teenage girls...

He does seem as though he would be attractive to many women. A business owner who is financially comfortably willing open his home to a strange woman and her daughters? Why? And why are local single women not flocking to him? Women with jobs, an education and an empty nest?

For normal men. for better or for worse, extra teenagers that are not their own, and a "turn off" not a "turn on".

Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshc2000 View Post
....We've dated long distance and ultimately we would like to be together. ....
And the phrase in bold means what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting