Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Could be, but most likely she's just inexperienced. No amount of driving school can substitute for real world time behind the wheel unfortunately.
That's true. I remember reading when my dd turned 17 and got her license that they need about a thousand hours of driving time to be truly competent. Most kids here in NJ go down the shore the weekend after the prom, but she and her bf at the time didn't drink or party, so they decided to go to see the Boston Pops instead. It was 300 miles each way and she was driving my car, but I held my breath and thought, "well, that'll cover 600 of those thousand right there."

Old 03-22-2019, 07:39 PM

77 posts, read 55,886 times
If the problem is ADHD and medication compliance, how is a driving class going to solve that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Six months ago our 18 year old daughter got into a fender bender only 3 months after getting her license. It didn’t involve another car or driver so we didn’t report it to insurance. She swerved to avoid hitting an animal and jammed her front wheel into the curb, causing about $1500 worth of damage to her car. Hubby and I helped her with half the cost of the repairs, but told her all future accidents would be her responsibility. When the 2nd fender bender happened less than 4 months later, we told her she’d have to save up for the repairs and that the car would sit in the driveway until she had the full amount. This 2nd accident was her fault and involved another driver, but there was no damage to his car and he didn’t want to report it. Neither did we so it would stay off of our daughter’s driving record and our insurance wouldn’t go up. We removed her as a driver from our policy and she’s been getting around through a combination of us, Lyft, and friends.

Fast forward 6 months. She’s been saving steadily for the repairs and will have the full amount in about a month. We suggested she take a refresher driving course since she was barely licensed when she had this accident and she hasn’t driven at all in 6 months. She doesn’t want to pay for a driving course since it took her this long to save for the repairs. However, we hold the title on the car, which we would have to sign over to her before she can get insurance. Now that she’s an adult, she will be getting her own insurance policy because she’s become to much of a risk for us to add her back to our policy.

We’re considering forcing the driving refresher course by making it a condition of us signing over the car title to her. As a typical 18 year old, she tends to be a bit impulsive and I’m concerned there will be another fender bender or worse if she doesn’t get some practice before fully getting behind the wheel again. We’ve told her that paying for the class is her responsibility, one of the unintended consequences of being careless with the car. She thinks the refresher course is a waste of her time and money and just wants to jump back into driving.

What do you think of our condition? Is it reasonable? Or should we turn over the title to her and let her make whatever mistakes she’s going to make now that she’s an adult? For the record, the car is actually hers, she paid for it with her own money when she was 17, but our insurance company required the title to be in our names since she was on our policy at that time.
Does she earn enough to afford all the costs on her own? Technically she must report the accidents when she signs up for a policy, which will send her premiums skyward. Seeing the shock value of such high premiums, and having to pay those bills herself, should set her straight, hopefully.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's true. I remember reading when my dd turned 17 and got her license that they need about a thousand hours of driving time to be truly competent. Most kids here in NJ go down the shore the weekend after the prom, but she and her bf at the time didn't drink or party, so they decided to go to see the Boston Pops instead. It was 300 miles each way and she was driving my car, but I held my breath and thought, "well, that'll cover 600 of those thousand right there."
Sometimes all ya can do is encourage good behavior and hold your breath.

All those, "It's her car", folks need to consider the age of the girl in question and the cost of keeping a car in good shape. Forcing her to come up with all the money every time is not fair. I think a lot of youngsters drop out of school and take menial jobs for that very reason.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycatherine View Post
If the problem is ADHD and medication compliance, how is a driving class going to solve that?
As I pointed out, there are some driving instructors experienced in providing training to adults with ADHD. Some posters are not understanding the implications of the ADHD part of the equation.

Around a dozen states have instructors trained in providing ADHD services. This site provides links to services in these states, as well as a three-part webinar to help parents of teens with ADHD:

https://behindthewheelwithadhd.com/

Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All those, "It's her car", folks need to consider the age of the girl in question and the cost of keeping a car in good shape. Forcing her to come up with all the money every time is not fair. I think a lot of youngsters drop out of school and take menial jobs for that very reason.

Because they got into too many accidents? I've never heard of anyone who dropped out for that reason. The daughter is in college full time, so she was able to manage school and working to pay for her repairs.

Just because she got into two accidents (the second one, which is questionable if she was even at fault)does not mean she is going to continue getting into accident after accident.

It is her car, and as an 18 year old in college it is time that she is able to start making her own decisions.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
A car sitting not driven for a extended period of time is not good for the car. Brake drums get rusty. Transmission can be effected.
I assume she didn't have collision insurance that's why it wasn't turned into insurance. If you are concerned offer to pay for a defensive driving course. Maybe she lacks confidence in her driving. Both accidents sound either not her fault or minor, even though the repair cost is high.

One of the cars I drive now has a really bad blind spot. If I was taller, or seats were adjustable for height it would be better. But I am very mindful of that and extra effort is used so I don't miss something because if blindspots. Maybe the car she has a bad blindspot on her car, something you wouldn't notice until you've driven the car for a bit

Old 03-23-2019, 10:03 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I assume she didn't have collision insurance that's why it wasn't turned into insurance.
No, the OP told her not to turn it into insurance or file a police report.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
As a parent, I would look for some type of defensive driving course, and pay for it myself, and require my daughter to complete it.

I would also spend more time with her in the car. She needs more experience behind the wheel, and I'd want to be in the passenger seat to give her appropriate coaching.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The fact she’s 18 has nothing to do with it. The girl had two accidents within 5 months of getting her license.
I agree... the next accident might be one with significant bodily injury or death involved. None of us can predict the future, but with two accidents in 5 months, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the daughter likely has a skill set deficit. Someone's life might literally depend on her enhancing her skills -- particularly defensive driving.

I've also noticed on TV a few commercials for Allstate Insurance where they have a cell phone app that let's you know if you're accelerating too quickly, braking to hard, cornering too hard, etc. In general, I find it intrusive - but perhaps for someone who is still learning to be a competent driver it might be worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting