Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How does receiving a gift prevent someone from also giving a gift?
I imagine that how it is done can be an element. We had friends whose younger lost his little spoiled mind when we had them over for their older's birthday because we did not get him (younger) anything. I just watched as Mom tried to appease the little **** and tried to come up with something to give him. She shot me looks like how could I. We don't hang out with them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Nope. Not their birthday. They need to learn that a big part of life is being happy for others rather than expecting to get something all the time. It will be their turn soon and they just have to wait. Something everyone needs to learn.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
This thread comes off as so harsh, imho.

Gifts aren't achievement trophies.

They're little remembrances. Cute little items that means the child was thought of by the giver.

And you can still teach graciousness even when the kid gets a small matchbox car or plastic bracelet on the occasion of their sibling's birthday.

Teaching kids to be gracious comes from SHOWING graciousness to them. Modeling it.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

They're little remembrances. Cute little items that means the child was thought of by the giver.

And you can still teach graciousness even when the kid gets a small matchbox car or plastic bracelet on the occasion of their sibling's birthday.

Teaching kids to be gracious comes from SHOWING graciousness to them. Modeling it.
I get that, but we're talking about siblings who also get their own day. It's not like say, weddings, where it's a one time event (hopefully) and guests often get small gifts or keepsakes as a token of gratitude for coming to celebrate a marriage. Everyone (that chooses to celebrate) has their own day each year, it's already equal.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I have no opinion on this. We didn't do it, but I don't care if others do. This is something done for very small children, in my experience. It's something completely inconsequential. Do what you want in this regard and don't worry about it; it isn't going to affect anything for more than 24 hours.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
My daughter and my sisters daughter were born six months apart. When they were around 7-8 my daughter, who is an only child, expressed sadness about getting a gift for my niece that she wanted. I thought it was a great life lesson for her and we talked it through. 6 months later my daughters birthday rolls around and she opens my sisters gift then my niece makes some comment about already knowing how fun the item is to play with. Turns out my sister buys my niece the same thing she buys my daughter when my daughter’s birthday comes around. My daughter was confused and felt like I’d deceived her. It wasn’t fun. It’s been at least five years and I still don’t know whose method was correct.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I do a small gift for the sibling if I'm bringing a gift for a new baby but wouldn't do it for birthday after that. It would have made rivalry even worse if my siblings got stuff EVEN ON MY BIRTHDAY.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:20 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
My daughter and my sisters daughter were born six months apart. When they were around 7-8 my daughter, who is an only child, expressed sadness about getting a gift for my niece that she wanted. I thought it was a great life lesson for her and we talked it through. 6 months later my daughters birthday rolls around and she opens my sisters gift then my niece makes some comment about already knowing how fun the item is to play with. Turns out my sister buys my niece the same thing she buys my daughter when my daughter’s birthday comes around. My daughter was confused and felt like I’d deceived her. It wasn’t fun. It’s been at least five years and I still don’t know whose method was correct.
Your method. Your method is correct.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I don't understand this story.

She buys an item that she thinks a child that age will really like for her daughter. Her daughter DOES like it, so when your daughter's birthday comes around, she buys that item for your daughter.

I have to work pretty hard to find anything sinister here.

Also, if I were giving a gift to another child that my own child really wanted, I'd find a way for them to earn that item or if their birthday was coming up, say they could ask for that.

Seems like some serious sibling rivalry going on, Naley.

What's cuter than one little cousin saying to another, I have that toy myself and I really love it, that's why we bought one for you!

Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

The point is tho, that each individual child needs to be raised in a way that allows them to understand that everything isn't about THEM and not every action will include them.

Birthday gifts honor the birth of those born on that specific day.

Offering gifts to others negates this in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting