U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

662 posts, read 809,294 times

Advertisements

I made a post in the beginning of the year questioning wether or not to let DD continue in a Brownie "troop", and I use that term loosely, on here. Many chimed in and said it didn't even sound like my kid is in a "real" troop and to drop it. Well, I went against that advice, kept her in and almost end of the year, 0 troop activities outside of world thinking day, which we could not attend, 0 journey patches, non-stop coloring pages, but oh yes, she got to sell cookies, and we are done. Troop leader has announced she is stepping down end of the school year. DD did sell a lot in cookies.

In September, it was discussed that the cookie money from each girl would be used for an overnight camping trip at a local amusement park. That idea went out the window and now troop leader who now has frequent emergencies and cancels meetings, announced it will be at a local outdoor camp ground. DD has 0 desire to do this, my DH works very long hours and it will mean multiple trips for him to bring my other DD for someone to watch her while he works. DD and I have sort of clocked out of these meetings and it's just a waste of time now IMO. So I'm texting troop leader later to let her know DD wont be going on the camping trip. DD will also not coming back to this troop next year,(not bothering to mention that now to troop leader) if it doesn't fall under. It's very obvious troop leader is expecting a mom to volunteer to be the new leader.

What happens to the cookie sale money? Is it now troop funds for the other girls to use?

Last edited by Me 82; Yesterday at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,071,487 times
If you join another troop you can request the funds she raised be transferred to her new troop. Aside from that, the funds stay with the troop.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

That's what I thought. Yes, we're not going to any other Brownie troop. So then they would have extra money to use on the trip I'm assuming?

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,071,487 times
Yup. We had 3 girls leave (2 moved, 1 quit). We had a lot of extra money. But our council is very helpful with what we can and can't spend the money on since the Girl Scouts are a 503c there are IRS laws we need to follow. We let the girls decide what to do with it. We gave them some choices because they are Daisies and 1st year brownies and at that age its tough to know what options are out there. They voted on shopping for supplies for a teen homeless program here in town. 10 squealing girls and a trip to Walmart was an ordeal (but we, the parents, survived )

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Yup. We had 3 girls leave (2 moved, 1 quit). We had a lot of extra money. But our council is very helpful with what we can and can't spend the money on since the Girl Scouts are a 503c there are IRS laws we need to follow. We let the girls decide what to do with it. We gave them some choices because they are Daisies and 1st year brownies and at that age its tough to know what options are out there. They voted on shopping for supplies for a teen homeless program here in town. 10 squealing girls and a trip to Walmart was an ordeal (but we, the parents, survived )
That was a very nice trip they chose.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

95 posts, read 136,948 times
I'm a long time Brownie Troop leader with a daughter that's been a Girl Scout for over 8 years. I also volunteer at the Service Unit level and assist around 40 different troops with their Cookie Sale.

I think a lot of Brownie parents really underestimate how much work it takes to be a troop leader and also how much funds it takes to do simple crafts and how much the badges and patches are. Troop leaders don't get paid anything and the fee you pay to registrar your daughter for Girl Scouts goes entirely for insurance and administration, so the troop doesn't see one penny of that. It's hard to do those Journey badges you want your daughter to do for less than $25/girl. They're not real well written and I don't personally think the girls get much out of it other than a $6 badge for their sash/vest, which usually never gets applied. My daughter as a Brownie was quite happy with coloring, some songs and some unstructured play, a lot of girls that age enjoy that.

Where I live, each troop is only guaranteed 50 cents/box of cookie sold, so cookie profits on a troop level doesn't go very far. About $2/box goes to support activities at the Council level and there is absolutely no reason why a parent can't sign their daughter up for Council activities on their own. Around here, you can sign your daughter up for a Journey in a Day and it runs around $40-$50 dollars, but includes all supplies and lunch. There are lots of lower cost activities to. The Council has a mother/daughter campout coming up that is around $60/person.

You didn't quantify what "a lot" of cookies meant box wise, but if it was over 200 boxes, talk to your Service Unit director about your daughter transferring to a more active troop. Our active troops that do a lot, tend to expect girls to sell 500+ boxes of cookies. Most of the troop leaders are fine if you offer to make up the difference in additional dues if your not up for the fundraising. Ultimately, your daughter's Girl Scout experience is going to heavily depend on your efforts. My daughter has gotten a lot out of her Girl Scout experience and I think it is a great program, but it requires volunteers and funding.

Old Today, 03:51 PM

15,731 posts, read 17,488,586 times
Girl Scouts really depends on the Troop Leader. My granddaughter's troop was fantastic because of the leader though we did all help her out.

As Daisies, they did a food drive, learned the Girl Scout Promise, went to the local Christmas Parade, did a cookie bake where they made different cookies, made life size pictures of themselves and decorated them with favorite clothing, learned German Paper Cutting, went on a Field Trip to the local grocery store (toured behind the scenes), had a policewoman come and talk to them about safety and the police officer's job, had a celebration of the Indian festival of Holi (in our back yard) since we had several Hindu girls in the troop, went strawberry picking at a local farm, planted a vegetable garden in the leaders back yard in celebration of Earth Day, had a Mother's Day Tea party, did some scrapbooking, went to a Council Singalong, had a sleepover at the leaders house in preparation for camping out later in the year, went to a Council Camping event, sold cookies (of course), celebrated World Thinking Day at a local school with activities geared to various countries, had another camping trip that the girls helped to plan, learned more about the Girl Scout Law, had a Bridging Ceremony to Brownies at a local park.

As Brownies, they had meetings outside at the park, went camping another time, had a pool party and made swaps for the campout, went to a Halloween Party that celebrated Juliet Lowe's Birthday, did the Around the World Badge at a troop meeting, made candles, made friendship bracelets for the Brownie Magic Campout put on by Council, made holiday ornaments, made stamped wreathes, made cookies again at a local Church, made hats, made shadow boxes and learned to use them, did the swim card test at the local pool so that they could go canoeing and kayaking at the camp, learned how to make a caper chart for their campouts, sold cookies again and had cookie booths at various locations, did face painting and hand painting at one of the mom's houses, made and used their own bubble wands to make huge bubbles, went Strawberry Picking again, did a service project to donate to a Japanese Girl Scout troop on a military base that had been affected by an Earthquake, made swaps and went to another campout a bit further away from home where they rode horses, went on a big swing in the trees, swam, did archery, learned to shoot a rifle, canoed, etc.

As Juniors, they completed the Bronze award by helping to make a Butterfly Way Station at the state park and taking care of it. As Cadettes, they completed their Silver Award by having a Monarch Butterfly Festival at that same state park. They also helped install a Monarch Way station locally on our nature trail.

As Seniors, they have been busy, but several of the girls are working on the Gold Award (my granddaughter dropped out because she is too busy with Band now).

None of this would have been possible without the wonderful Troop Leader and her assistants (her older daughter who was in high school and then in college helped a lot).

Old Today, 09:21 PM

24,786 posts, read 29,594,775 times
Wildflower gave good advice specific to Brownies. Short of that, I would think the cookie money stays with the troop. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, and paying it forward, as someone probably did for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting