Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times

Advertisements

I don't care for the name Hazel at all. I'm also shocked that it appears to be making a comeback. Hopefully Gertrude, Bertha and Hubert won't be coming back in vogue. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't care for the name Hazel at all. I'm also shocked that it appears to be making a comeback. Hopefully Gertrude, Bertha and Hubert won't be coming back in vogue. :-)
How about Myrtle? That was my grandmother's next-door neighbor when I was a kid. Years later I learned that it was actually a flower!

Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
.........and Martha.....my parents almost named me Martha after one of my grandmothers.

I am grateful to this day {I am 65} that they didn't.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:36 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,849,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How about Myrtle? That was my grandmother's next-door neighbor when I was a kid. Years later I learned that it was actually a flower!
I knew a myrtle was a plant thanks to my Jewish ethnicity. Its branch is used in the Four Plants ceremony on Sukkot, along with a willow branch, a palm frond, and a citron fruit. In anything, I was surprised that it was also a person's name. It still sounds like a name a eccentric grandmotherly old woman would have.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:42 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I knew a myrtle was a plant thanks to my Jewish ethnicity. Its branch is used in the Four Plants ceremony on Sukkot, along with a willow branch, a palm frond, and a citron fruit. In anything, I was surprised that it was also a person's name. It still sounds like a name a eccentric grandmotherly old woman would have.
Ah, thanks for that info. I always like to learn about other cultural traditions. Didn't know that one, even though I worked for a year in a neighborhood where you could see sukkots on apartment balconies and on the sidewalks in front of the delis and restaurants during the holiday.

I didn't know myrtle was a plant until I was in my late 20s and took a vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I had assumed the town was named after a person, but they have all these pretty flowers on the median in the road and I asked what it was called.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:25 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,353,950 times
I’m sorry but I really don’t like it.

I don’t know why, but I picture kids teasing...
“Oblina, Oblina... has an oblong vagina.”

Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 AM

338 posts, read 309,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I saw a birth certificate for a "Latrina" back when I was a public health nurse and we got all the birth certificates in our region. One of our nurses said "maybe they should have just named her Toiletta". I suspect the teen mom did not know what a latrine was. However, these rumors about "Ladasha" (and similar spellings) have never been substantiated.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/le-a/
See quora as well.
I was on a hospital elevator a few years ago, and one of the employees standing next to me had "Latrina" on her name tag. I just kept thinking of the scene from Robin Hood, Men in Tights, where Prince John asks, "You mean you changed your name TO "Latrine"?" And she says, "Yeah. Used to be "****house."

I can't imagine what it's like to have that name.

And sorry, OP, Oblina makes me think it's someone's attempt at a feminized form of Obama.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:17 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBratty View Post
Did this chick ever come back and reply? Looks like she got us all. damn ho and her obleak offspring.
Yes, she did reply. She thanked everyone for their input and said she'd go back to the drawing board.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:24 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,364,460 times
Quote:
Hazel is also a plant, as is Cowslip.

If I had to name a girl after a flower, I'd go with Rosa or Lily.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Quote:
I don't know Real Monsters, either, but I found the name awkward and definitely not feminine or pretty, as the OP seemed to think.

Of course we each have our opinions. I remember being shocked on this forum once when someone said she loved "Addison" for a baby girl because it was so feminine. It means "Son of Adam" and was also the name of the disease that JFK had. I couldn't see the femininity there, but someone else did.

The other one that puzzles me is that "Hazel" is making a comeback. For those of us of a certain age, the name will always be associated with a loud, obnoxious maid with a grating accent.

You really want your precious baby girl to grow up to be THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5fvfUUnZU
I know several youngish Hazels, and none of them remotely resemble the stereotype. Their parents named them for the hazel tree, which traditionally was believed to have powers for good in British and Celtic folklore. Remember the poem starting "I went out to the hazel wood, because a fire was in my head..."? (not that any of the Hazels of my acquaintance have fire in or on their heads!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting