U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 AM

6,646 posts, read 10,914,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Refrain from alternative, misspelled names.
Yes please!!!! Hate this trend.

The poor child will have to go through life saying thousands of times "my name is spelled Pollee" not "Polly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM

5,637 posts, read 6,438,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My grandmother, {her daughter} told me they were German......but I have no proof.

Without joining something like Ancestry, I haven't been able to trace Dessie and her parents any further back than Pennsylvania.

Other than using DNA, would Ancestry, etc. provide me more records other than the census to trace them back?

Honestly, every time I see Ancestry on sale I almost join and send for a kit.....and then I start to wonder which DNA/records service is the best, can't make up my mind and end up doing nothing. LOL
There were many Germans around Odessa. Google Black Sea Germans.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 AM

2,562 posts, read 1,956,451 times
obese oblina vagina, um no, get the baby name book out to think of better names

Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,491,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
obese oblina vagina, um no, get the baby name book out to think of better names
I think Oblina is pronounced ob-LEE-nah, not ob-LYE-nah. So it wouldn't rhyme with "vagina". But still, not a good name.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM

4,663 posts, read 2,238,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Bottom line - can anyone think of a word with GOOD connotations that begins with "ob"? The Latin root may be the reason.

Idk. Oboe? That's a neutral word, but as someone who was once a little girl, I can say with certainty that I would NOT want it as a nick name.
I kind of like ‘Obi’ and the Star Wars reference would maybe go over well...? Oblina not so much. Sounds like an Internet username.

Another that might work is Oberlin, like the college name, but maybe they’d need to find some kind of connection to any name they give.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:49 PM

3,809 posts, read 2,306,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Everyone seems to name their boys either that or some variation of "Aiden" these days..
My nephews are Brayden and Hunter . Bet you couldn't guess they're both under 8.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM

86,670 posts, read 101,566,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
My nephews are Brayden and Hunter . Bet you couldn't guess they're both under 8.
That "Aiden, Brayden, Caden" (typical spellings of each) stuff has been going on at least 10 years. It just seems to go on forever. I have a friend my age named "Hunter".

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

8,979 posts, read 13,098,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That "Aiden, Brayden, Caden" (typical spellings of each) stuff has been going on at least 10 years. It just seems to go on forever. I have a friend my age named "Hunter".
I think it is weird when young people have older names … but also a lot of older names are back in the trend now … like Sophia. I see so many little girls with the name Sophia.

I am 37. I have a friend named Barbara who is 38. I don't know many young Barbara's.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

86,670 posts, read 101,566,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think it is weird when young people have older names … but also a lot of older names are back in the trend now … like Sophia. I see so many little girls with the name Sophia.

I am 37. I have a friend named Barbara who is 38. I don't know many young Barbara's.
Yes, tons of Sophias, not many Barbaras. I worked in a pediatrics office and every now and then there'd be a kid (usually girl) with a name from a previous generation, e.g. Renee, Jacqueline, stuff like that. Boys names tend to be more "timeless" although they do go in and out of popularity as well. Not that many "Davids" now as there were in 1950.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

8,979 posts, read 13,098,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, tons of Sophias, not many Barbaras. I worked in a pediatrics office and every now and then there'd be a kid (usually girl) with a name from a previous generation, e.g. Renee, Jacqueline, stuff like that. Boys names tend to be more "timeless" although they do go in and out of popularity as well. Not that many "Davids" now as there were in 1950.
I think Jacqueline is timeless.

I know Jackies/Jacquelines of all ages ... but names like Barbara thats an older name for sure.

David is still pretty popular.

John is timeless.
Daniel.
Michael.
Matthew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or