U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 11:58 AM

687 posts, read 173,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is a very bad idea.

Leave hedgehogs in the wild.

By buying your daughter a hedgegog you support a trade that takes these wild animals out of their natural habitat and turns them into playthings for adults. Since the hedgehogs have no idea what is going on, they don't participate and end up leading very prison like lives.

Just don't.
No natural hedgehogs in North America. These aren't wild animals they're just snatching up in Africa. They are domesticated and bred to be pets.

Is it the best life? I don't know that I can judge that. Is it the life they are going to have regardless? Yep.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:23 PM

9,206 posts, read 3,587,915 times
I wonder what she finds appealing about hedge hogs.

Besides being incredibly cute, I don't see there's much to recommend them as pets.

On the other hand, they're easy to care for and don't take up much room. If she REALLY wants one, I don't see the harm except it's likely she'll be disappointed because they don't really bond.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,371,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
How about a really soft stuffed hedgehog?
This. My grandsons have always loved the books by Jan Brent, who features a hedgehog in many of them ("Hedgie's Surprise", "The Hat"). Oldest has a stuffed hedgehog he named "Tuck" when he was two (maybe because hedgehogs tuck up in a ball?) So far they haven't asked for a real one!

Guinea pigs are nice and a similar size and shape as hedgehogs, but cuddlier and more companionable.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 AM

12,247 posts, read 7,256,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder what she finds appealing about hedgehogs.

Besides being incredibly cute, I don't see there's much to recommend them as pets.
She's a 13-year-old girl. Cute is probably her only reason for wanting a hedgehog.

I got my first dog when I was 13. My parents made me do a lot of research when deciding what breed of dog to get. The daughter is old enough that she can find a lot of information online or even get a book from the library to read up on hedgehogs. Or even just reading Hedgehog mom's post was enough for me to never want one, not that I ever wanted one to begin with.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 AM

2,386 posts, read 4,968,190 times
I'm not sure I've ever seen more effective arguments against getting a specific pet. I'm not sure I even think they're cute anymore!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 2,986,919 times
When my sister went through this stage as a young teen my parents got her a chinchilla. Similar size to a hedgehog but softer, and at least in our experience, willing to be cuddled by their loving owners.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:12 PM

7,905 posts, read 8,419,593 times
A hedgehog can be a good pet for the right owner. They are sentient so they do recognize a familiar person. Some will allow them to be picked up and held in the owner's hands. They will nip when they grow tired of being held which is a warning to put them down. Do not drop them. Usually, for strangers, they just curl up and show their quills. They are nocturnal. Some people like to keep fish and they can't be held or cuddled. My chincilla did not like to be held so it depends on the animal. That dust bath was quite a mess. Probably the most practical type of small mammal is a guinea pig. They are very social so they enjoy being petted and having company. Then again, each animal has their own personality and some are more social than others. Some are very skittish. Not everyone lives where dogs and cats are permitted and they do require more care.

Another possible pet is a ferret. They are very active and again, some love to be held and won't bite, while others are biters. They are not legal to have as a pet in all areas. They are also most active at night (so are guinea pigs).All of these small mammals have short lifespans.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

13,637 posts, read 12,416,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehogster View Post
I have a 13 year old daughter that really wants a Hedgehog. I know nothing about raising them and while she is mature for her age, I am not sure if it's a good idea.
Might as well get her one. You've already committed to it with your screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or