U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM

12,141 posts, read 17,720,495 times

Advertisements

My kids school don't have parking lots or car pool. The school is located right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, where curb street parking is the only option. So people park anywhere they please. But unless the kid is in kindergarten, they just jump out of car on their own. My son has walked from our house to school since 5th grade. We live in a Chicago neighborhood too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM

9,178 posts, read 5,617,379 times
What I’ve noticed is that all traffic and parking laws seem to go out the window once a parent gets within two blocks of their kids’ school.

Mid block u-turns? Yes!
Parking in a crosswalk? Yes!!!!
Double parking? Absolutely!
Forgetting how four way stops work? Yes!
Stopping in the middle of the road and blocking traffic? Of course!
Driving the speed limit until your kid gets out and then speeding off? Yep!
Watching your kid walk into school rather then actually watching the road while driving off? Yes!

School zones are the most dangerous places to be at pick up and drop off and not due to random people driving through. The parents are the worst offenders.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:26 AM

12,457 posts, read 8,396,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
To be fair, the *school* has a great system... it's the people using it who mess it up. I do NOT understand why 12 cars can't pull up, their children get out (and SHOCKER, actually be READY to get out), and another 12 cars do the same.

Instead, 12 cars pull up. Of those, 4 parents choose to wait until they can pull forward to be in first position and their schmoopies won't have to WALK that laborious distance of up to 150ft. to the door. 8 vehicles have children who, for some inexplicable reason, don't have their luggage packed properly and do things like repack their lunch sack with the doors open, drop an apple, chase it, etc.. At least 4 parents also decide that this is when they're going to review the daily calendar, chastise their child for something, or some such "necessary," lengthy conversation... hands waving and all.

Out of 12, two to three vehicles have children ready.to.rumble. Their doors fly open, their children roll out, and they LEAVE. But the other 9 or 10 cars don't notice... because while I'm SURE that their list of priorities is extensive and very, very important, it *clearly* doesn't include courtesy or consideration for *other people's* time.

The entitlement and resulting inefficiency is MADDENING.

School pick UP is so much worse because very often, the 12 cars in the pick-up point have the most laidback kids of all. So EVERYONE needs to wait until their little darlings mosey on out and have conversations with the doors open and their entitled parents decide this is THE VERY BEST TIME to lay down or lift up all the seats in the back and rearrange the contents of their vehicles and chat with people they know.

eta: Our children take the bus as the default and will continue through high school. We live down the hill from the high school so if they were embarrassed at some point, they could always bike or walk, if they'd rather. I'll dropoff/pickup if they have large/unwieldy/delicate projects to bring or I have plans and need to get everyone sooner than the 45 minutes later that the bus will drop them off. Some days, if it's hectic in the morning, I'll give them room to breathe - mentally - and say I'll drop them off. (The oldest likes the bus and takes that anyway. It's her routine.) It doesn't give them MUCH longer, however, because we need to get in line soon enough for them to get in before the bell... you're not allowed to jump out wherever and run in.

But those times I AM in the line? OMG. Horrible.
I don't blame the school, they've sent enough newsletters and even remind parents during parents teacher nights about the dropoff situation to no avail.

This morning was pretty bad, even though the weather was beautiful and warm. So there's no need to drop your kids off exactly in front of the door. They could use a little exercise. I park my car a block away from the choke points and walk my kids up to the safe area and let them walk down the block into the school. I just watch them from a distance. I don't think I need to hug them or kiss them right in front of the school gate. Kids need to be learn how to be independent.

As I was walking back, I can see the line of cars with frustrating parents inside stuck waiting for other cars to move.

My wife doesn't have any patience or mental composure to sit through that traffic so she always park a few blocks away from the school and walk. Afternoon is Armageddon at the school streets compared to the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What I’ve noticed is that all traffic and parking laws seem to go out the window once a parent gets within two blocks of their kids’ school.

Mid block u-turns? Yes!
Parking in a crosswalk? Yes!!!!
Double parking? Absolutely!
Forgetting how four way stops work? Yes!
Stopping in the middle of the road and blocking traffic? Of course!
Driving the speed limit until your kid gets out and then speeding off? Yep!
Watching your kid walk into school rather then actually watching the road while driving off? Yes!

School zones are the most dangerous places to be at pick up and drop off and not due to random people driving through. The parents are the worst offenders.
What's frustrating is that none of this happens when the police car is there.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 AM

1,005 posts, read 450,386 times
My children take the bus. Next year they’ll be able to walk to school until they get to 11th grade. I’ve never dropped my children off at school, and we pick them up only two times a year or so.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 3,866,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If more people would let their kids ride the bus instead of dropping their kids off and picking up by car, traffic would be much better. I understand that some need to have this arrangement, but for most it's just to keep their kids off the bus which is ridiculous.

This is us, my wife doesn't work so she takes the twins to middle school in the morning. We have bus service almost at our door but we are first picked up on the route (06:25 AM) and they spend an hour on the bus before they get to school three miles away.

They take the bus home each day as they have since kindergarten.

The school is pretty organized as far as drop offs go though. The teachers are holding signs in the AM thanking parents for bringing the children on time as tardiness is running close to 50 for parents dropping children off. Not many horror story's at the middle school but at some of the others it is like NASCAR.

We are also seeing explosive growth of families in the area.......they moved the school lines again but children could stay in their same schools instead of moving but they lose bus service. Also we have a shortage of bus drivers and overcrowded busses.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM

20,417 posts, read 11,209,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yep. At my kids' school, the line for pickup starts around 2:00-2:15 for a 3:00 pm dismissal. I swear, I think some of them drop their kids off for school at 7:45, and then loop around the parking lot and just get into the line for afternoon pickup and wait 7 hours....
lol! I wanted to rep you for making me laugh but it wouldn't let me.

I have an elementary school on the next block over from me. But it takes up the whole block so there's enough parking, plus a lot of the families actually walk their kids back and forth each day. There isn't an actual pick up line per se although some people do kind of stop in the middle to let their kids out. I do drive past a couple of schools that have that more traditional line, with cars waiting to inch up into the designated drop off spaces - although I only drive past them when I forget to go a different way!

My son is now in HS and it does get a little crazy if you are trying to pick up right at dismissal time. But he takes the bus (public bus, not school bus) home so I'm almost never there at dismissal time, just if he's stayed late for an activity and then it's not a problem to park and have him find me.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM

3,308 posts, read 1,782,726 times
Small town so it's not bad, but it's still annoying to see so many parents causing some congestion by driving their kids right up to the front door. It's especially irksome when you know that the kid lives in easy walking distance, yet parents still drive them. With cops patrolling the streets and now crossing guards, on the road to school is the exciting place to be in the AM.

My recently graduated kid always either took a bus or walked, and so did I as a youngster.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 PM

2,455 posts, read 919,276 times
it is bad due to the parents.
most (+50%) could walk 1/2 mile.
some (20%) could take the bus.
parents cannot cope with that.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 PM

3,893 posts, read 3,137,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
lol! I wanted to rep you for making me laugh but it wouldn't let me.

I have an elementary school on the next block over from me. But it takes up the whole block so there's enough parking, plus a lot of the families actually walk their kids back and forth each day.
Thank you. If you're talking about the school I think you are, that's where my kids went when we lived there. We were 2 blocks away, and we walked. It was glorious, especially on snow days when the entire block became a cluster&$%. They would complain about walking in the snow, but I would look at all the cars and traffic, and say "No, walking is AWESOME". And don't get me started on the people who would drive through the alleys...

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM

20,417 posts, read 11,209,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Thank you. If you're talking about the school I think you are, that's where my kids went when we lived there. We were 2 blocks away, and we walked. It was glorious, especially on snow days when the entire block became a cluster&$%. They would complain about walking in the snow, but I would look at all the cars and traffic, and say "No, walking is AWESOME". And don't get me started on the people who would drive through the alleys...
I think I'm in a newer neighborhood than the one you were in, so probably not the same school. My kiddo was in 5th grade when we moved in and I wasn't going to make him change schools in the middle of his last year of elementary, so I never even got the benefit of him going to the school and being able to walk - I was still schlepping him down to Lowry* every day! But he had a good experience there and a great 5th grade year, so I can't really complain too much.

* about 5 miles away, for the non-Denverites who might be wondering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or