Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:01 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times

Advertisements

If your stepson is inviting his girlfriend to go out he should be paying.

End thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times
“He's not my son and I leave the discipling to my husband so if my husband is ok with her coming, then I have no recourse to say no.”

Is it possible that this is the thing that is really bugging you, rather than the money? It’s hard to feel voiceless. How long has he been your stepson? How do you and your husband view your parenting role, and do you feel ok with whatever your agreement/understanding is?

They sound like they are acting like regular 15 year olds, largely oblivious to money matters. Don’t shut it down, it’s great that they both want to spend time with you. Yes, it’d be nice if the parents sent some cash with her, but it’s not worth making a big deal about it. Doesn’t sound like there’s a need to send money next time he goes somewhere with them.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
It feels like no one is talking to anybody in this case. The son doesn't ask if the GF can come; he tells you and your husband she's coming and neither you nor your husband apparently tells the son anything different, so the son isn't going to change that. You have not apparently told your husband you have issues with your money paying your stepson's GFs way, not have you told your stepson r the GS's family.

So the first thing you need to do is start talking to the folks involved in this. There may be a logical reason the GF's family does not send money with her. They may not know you expect it, may not know your money situation isn't that great. Start talking to people. Don't feel like you have to take her along, too. Maybe some days instead of going out, just have a home cooked meal. I promise you the answer is not nearly as omplicated as you seem to be making it out to be.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:59 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then why do you spend $300 on wedding gifts, as you stated just recently in a thread. That's a lot of money if you aren't earning high incomes.
Oh snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
“He's not my son and I leave the discipling to my husband so if my husband is ok with her coming, then I have no recourse to say no.”
And so it is... Blood is thicker than water. Leave it alone.

I have to agree that if she comes along, I feel it is proper to pay her way. I would not have ever expected one of my sons' friends to pay for anything. Sorry--it is just part of parenting.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:26 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's our money together, in a joint account.

He hasn't said anything but that doesn't mean he isn't feeling it. I think he knows being with her makes his son happy so he just goes with it.
Then you absolutely have a say in the matter and need to put your foot down.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We can't afford it … we're scraping by.

Also he doesn't ask us if she can come, he just says "she's coming" (& I think b/c she asks to come).

Regardless, we always send our stepson with money. If her family wants to pay for him, that's fine, but we don't expect it.
From a financial perspective, if you are only “scraping by”, why are you even going out?

Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 AM

938 posts, read 446,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
From a financial perspective, if you are only “scraping by”, why are you even going out?
Because three people are in the budget, not four.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:48 AM

938 posts, read 446,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then why do you spend $300 on wedding gifts, as you stated just recently in a thread. That's a lot of money if you aren't earning high incomes.
That's her business. Apparently it's in the budget, feeding someone else's kid isn't. I'd feel the same way she does, but I would put an end to bringing the boy's friend all the time. People (including kids) will take, take, take.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:20 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Life is hard enough out there for a young player. You're supposed to be on his side. Don't block the poor boy.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
When our kids friends come along, we pay. When their gf/bf comes along we pay. When he goes to their house and calls us because hes hungry we have called the pizza place and paid for his dinner. Because we are those kind of people. And so are you. Youre setting a good example for your child about being the kind of person who makes sure his family is taken care of ( friends too!). These are frustratingly important lessons.

That being said, since the conversation has never taken place there are a lot of question marks. Example, perhaps the g/f doesn't have any money of her own and when your son shows up with money they assume its his own money and since she has none they don't give her any. Perhaps they are old school and assume the whole it takes a village thing and when shes with you you will take care of her. Perhaps your son is using the money you provide to buy his g/f gifts or souvenirs on their outings and her parents are paying. So many unanswered questions. It is time to sit down and have a conversation with your son about bringing friends along and asking first to ensure its possible. And if youre friendly with her parents, just start throwing requests for her to pay her own way in there. Start slowly, they should get the point. For example if you go to six flags (or somewhere that requires a ticket) reach out to her parents and say hey we are going to x place this weekend and son wants to bring daughter. and include a link to the ticket page. You don't have to ask them to buy it, the link should be enough. Be passive aggressive but make it clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting