U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 PM

8,767 posts, read 8,952,996 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing all these small children with tablets...

Let Children Get Bored Again
Boredom teaches us that life isnít a parade of amusements. More important, it spawns creativity and self-sufficiency.

Pamela Paul
But boredom is something to experience rather than hastily swipe away.
Despite the lesson most adults learned growing up ó boredom is for boring people ó boredom is useful. Itís good for you. If kids donít figure this out early on, theyíre in for a nasty surprise.

https://www.mahabahoo.com/let-children-get-bored-again/

https://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/other...ain/ar-BBTNQgy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 PM

7,524 posts, read 8,766,694 times
Let them get bored again so they don't become high maintanence adults that need to be constantly entertained.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 PM

905 posts, read 669,032 times
Quote:
People used to accept that much of life was boring. Memoirs of pre-21st-century life are rife with tedium. When not idling in drawing rooms, members of the leisured class took long walks and stared at trees. They went motoring and stared at more trees. Those who had to work had it a lot harder. Agricultural and industrial jobs were often mind-numbing; few people were looking to be fulfilled by paid labor. Children could expect those kinds of futures and they got used to the idea from an early age, left unattended with nothing but bookshelves and tree branches, and later, bad afternoon television.
Yeah, but those jobs are now done by robots. If you can't deal with high-paced, high-stress, creative ever-changing work, then you are SOL, my friend.

Quote:
Working at an import factory after school, I pasted photos of ugly Peruvian sweaters onto sales sheets. My hands became encrusted with glue as the sweaters blurred into a clumpy sameness. For some reason, everything smelled like molasses. My mind had no choice but to drift into an elaborate fantasy realm. It’s when you are bored that stories set in. Checking out groceries at the supermarket, I invented narratives around people’s purchases. The man buying eggplant and a six-pack of Bud at 9pm.: Which was the must-get item and which the impulse purchase? How did my former fifth-grade teacher feel about my observing her weekly purchase of Nutter Butters?
Good for you. You did a job that automated scanners now do. I see those "elaborate fantasies" landed you a job at the New Yorker. Or maybe it was the fact that you grew up in a privileged NYC family and your pedigree got you into a world that the rank-and-file you deign to bless with your stupid ivory-tower advice will never see. Thanks for the advice, District 1. We'll take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
This sounds boring, you might conclude. It sounds like work, and it sounds like life. Perhaps we should get used to it again, and use it to our benefit. Perhaps in an incessant, up-the-ante world, we could do with a little less excitement.
Good luck with that. We can't all be as privileged as you and your children. Didn't you write some articles about $800 strollers and baby wipe warmers? Yeah, you live in the real world.

Keep your dumb advice to yourself, lady. Most of us, outside of your little bubble in Capitol, have to be competitive or starve.

Being bored isn't productive and doesn't make you able to compete with Chinese or Indian children.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 PM

10,898 posts, read 17,321,618 times
There are still oodles and oodles of boring jobs left out there.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:31 AM

15,777 posts, read 17,553,694 times
You know, I was never bored as a child because I was a reader. If I wasn't doing something fun like biking or playing with other kids outside, I was reading. I am not sure how the boredom itself is useful. What is and was useful was being able to figure out different creative things to do.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 6 days ago)

8,597 posts, read 3,257,459 times
I'd rather enroll my kids in activities.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 1,569,453 times
No . . . stop being their assistants and social directors, and actually allow them some freedom to GO OUTSIDE, and to decide on their own activities . . . stop micro-managing them to be clones of you and your values - let them be them - and discover themselves and support them in doing what they want to do.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 PM

905 posts, read 669,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
No . . . stop being their assistants and social directors, and actually allow them some freedom to GO OUTSIDE, and to decide on their own activities . . . stop micro-managing them to be clones of you and your values - let them be them - and discover themselves and support them in doing what they want to do.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have kids.

If you had them, you'd realize that they are not tiny 30-year-olds with fully developed brains and senses of self. They need direction and structure, because a 7-year-old doesn't understand why they can't play with a tablet for 15 hours a day.

A parent's job is to provide those things, anything else is dereliction of duty.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:44 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,590,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

On the contrary....Letting kids run amok isnít the answer. Kids NEED supervision.
One of the big problems kids are facing today are uninvolved parents who ďlet their kids do what they wantĒ, and give them too much unsupervised freedom. Supporting your kids by instilling them with good values and morals is exactly what parents should be doing.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 AM

2,699 posts, read 1,453,024 times
Stare at trees, walk around, read books? Of course the rich could do this. They had money. Now we have a variety of entertainment and, as a result, a variety of people are being paid at higher rates than picking cotton. That's creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting